• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you hate fabric swatch books?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike those little books of fabric swatches that manufacturers produce. It's so damn hard to visualize what an entire suit or jacket will look like based on a 4"x6" sample of cloth, especially when there are large checks involved. It makes the whole process very hit or miss.

My first bespoke suit turned out to be a nightmare since the fabric looked fantastic in the book, but overwhelmingly ugly in an entire suit.

My first MTM jacket actually turned out better than expected. I would have flipped past that swatch and NEVER given it a second thought in the book, but I saw a near identical RTW jacket first and fell in love with the fabric.

Even the salesperson who sold me the jacket told me it's a bit of a crap shoot when you're picking fabrics from little books. Does anyone else have this difficulty with those tiny swatch books?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yea its tough to picture what the suit will look like.
but picture those thousands of samples as thousands of suit lengths of cloth.
it would be a nightmare of a warehouse, not a tailor shop.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yea its tough to picture what the suit will look like.
but picture those thousands of samples as thousands of suit lengths of cloth.
it would be a nightmare of a warehouse, not a tailor shop.

LeonM

Reaction score
I agree. It is difficult to visualize the whole suit from a swatch. It is a skill i don't have yet!

Leon

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole process has made me gunshy about picking a fabric out of a swatch book. From now on I'm only going to get something done if I've seen what a similar fabric looks like in a finished product.

Taxler

Reaction score
If it's bespoke, you can ask to see the entire fabric length before the suit is cut. You may be out the cost of the fabric, but at least you have the chance to reconsider the choice.

indy116

Reaction score
Same for paint. Can't visualize the entire room in the color.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree it's incredibly difficult. Looking at a someone else's finished suit (or shirt) in the same cloth is enormously helpful but, obviously, not always possible.

calvinloke

Reaction score
My local tailor doesn't have swatch books. Instead he showed me the bolts.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
years ago, the smaller woolen houses would give the tailors fabric on consignment. sometimes they would give nice discounts and extended dating when tailors would buy stock for their shops.
today credit is quite tight and woolen house would rather keep the fabric in their warehouse then on someone else's shelf.
as discussed. it is easier to pick from a full length then a small swatch.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
... today credit is quite tight and woolen house would rather keep the fabric in their warehouse then on someone else's shelf.

No one is storing these days (storing causes costs and meanwhile the money isn't working, too).

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Agree it's incredibly difficult. Looking at a someone else's finished suit (or shirt) in the same cloth is enormously helpful but, obviously, not always possible.
+1 To become stylish is a longterm process and tributes have to paid.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40