• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you hand wash or dry clean your fine cashmere/wool knits before storing for the season?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan on hand washing with Forever New, since that is generally how I clean them, and I don't trust dry cleaners with my nicer things.

I assume that is sufficient to mitigate the risk of moths, etc.

FillW

Reaction score
I'd like to know too cause I'm going to be getting some wool turtlenecks. I just got a nice merino wool v-neck.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about space bag, or some kind of giant plastic bag for storage to keep out moths

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my procedure....
  • Half-fill kitchen sink (or plastic tub) with cold water.
  • Stir 2 Tablespoons of liquid Tide into water.
  • Place cashmere (or any wool) garment into water. Let soak 15-20 minutes.
  • Gently agitate garment in water for ~5 minutes. Do not excessively wring or squeeze garment.
  • Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • To rinse, re-fill sink / tub with cold water. Let soak 5 min, gently agitating water for duration.
  • Do a second rinse. Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Lay a thick towel on table.
  • Take rinsed and drained garment and lay flat inside-out on table, shaping it to original shape.
  • Lay on towel for 10 minutes or as needed to further remove excess water.
  • Hang garment (inside out) on hangar. If sweater, drape arms over shoulders.
  • Have a catch basin under hanging garment. Let dry several hours.
  • When dry, make outside-out again, shape, then roll or gently fold garment for storage.

NOTE:
1) do not wash multiple garments colours together as some are colour-fast and their dyes may bleed into the others. Wash garments seperately.

This same procedure can be used to hand wash almost any garment.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, because the care label will likely say "dry clean only", which is poor advice (but safe advice to give to the general populus).

...maybe...maybe not...only 1 way to find out.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I follow Man of Lint's basic procedure, except I clean my sink thoroughly first, I use Woolite, and I NEVER hang my sweaters. Instead, I roll them up in the towel, jelly-roll style, to dry overnight. Then a roll them up in a second towel for the day, then spread them out on the table to finish air-drying.

I would never send my sweaters to the dry-cleaner because the organic solvents they all use will strip natural oils from the wool. Mild soaps like Woolite will allow the wool to retain those oils through more cleanings.

Last edited:

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
For wool & cashmere sweaters, I swear by Eucalan.

No rinse necessary and maintains the lanolin count. I set my HE front loader to "Delicate" and "Rinse & Spin" and go to town. Lay flat on a towel covered ironing board to dry. No more crunchy dry cleaned sweaters.

While I do sort loads into similar colors I still always use those Color Catcher things to prevent disasters.

FillW

Reaction score
This is my procedure....
  • Half-fill kitchen sink (or plastic tub) with cold water.
  • Stir 2 Tablespoons of liquid Tide into water.
  • Place cashmere (or any wool) garment into water. Let soak 15-20 minutes.
  • Gently agitate garment in water for ~5 minutes. Do not excessively wring or squeeze garment.
  • To rinse, re-fill sink / tub with cold water. Let soak 5 min, gently agitating water for duration.
  • Do a second rinse. Drain water, gently pressing garment to remove excess water.
  • Lay a thick towel on table.
  • Take rinsed and drained garment and lay flat inside-out on table, shaping it to original shape.
  • Lay on towel for 10 minutes or as needed to further remove excess water.
  • Hang garment (inside out) on hangar. If sweater, drape arms over shoulders.
  • Have a catch basin under hanging garment. Let dry several hours.
  • When dry, make outside-out again, shape, then roll or gently fold garment for storage.

NOTE:
1) do not wash multiple garments colours together as some are colour-fast and their dyes may bleed into the others. Wash garments seperately.

This same procedure can be used to hand wash almost any garment.
Hope it helps.
I pretty much used this procedure but didn't hang it until it was dry.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only small tymers wash their cash wears. Everyone knows that you wear it once, maybe twice then throw it away. Sheesh.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hand wash once or twice per year with hand wash gel. Natural dry

FillW

Reaction score
Only small tymers wash their cash wears. Everyone knows that you wear it once, maybe twice then throw it away. Sheesh.
Well, that's me...
peepwall[1].gif

biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics