• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you guys think that any "special" clothing streams are drying up?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to either limits on expertise or materials, are there items of clothing that are getting more difficult to find? Seems like every week or so there's a new product made from some deadstock fabric or soon-to-be forgotten technique. Which products do you think we need to kop now or never?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a tough question. You make it sound like one day people will forget to work shuttle looms and loopwheelers. I'm not generally worried too much about these sorts of things dying out for good because as long as there are people willing to pay a premium for a particular type of craftsmanship, it will be provided. I'd be distressed if all of a sudden no one could make a chunky cable knit sweater anymore, but that's probably not happening.

I'm more concerned with awesome food recipes known only to 90-year old matrons. Cookies, sauce and the like. Clothes, not so much.

ghostdog123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Due to either limits on expertise or materials, are there items of clothing that are getting more difficult to find? Seems like every week or so there's a new product made from some deadstock fabric or soon-to-be forgotten technique. Which products do you think we need to kop now or never?

This paradigm sounds like its kopped from hipster run-off.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
That's a tough question. You make it sound like one day people will forget to work shuttle looms and loopwheelers. I'm not generally worried too much about these sorts of things dying out for good because as long as there are people willing to pay a premium for a particular type of craftsmanship, it will be provided. I'd be distressed if all of a sudden no one could make a chunky cable knit sweater anymore, but that's probably not happening.

I'm more concerned with awesome food recipes known only to 90-year old matrons. Cookies, sauce and the like. Clothes, not so much.

I think that's a good point, however, the premium could become prohibitive for a lot of these items. Like Inverallan - used to be easy to get direct from the company. Now there's a huge markup to buy through retailers. The better Scottish cashmeres are really difficult to find these days too. Not saying they don't exist, but at some point the price effectively puts them out of reach. Maybe also natural indigo, I don't know.

I suppose I'm changing the scope of my question. Instead of drying up, how about in danger of becoming so scarce and expensive that it makes sense to buy now?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdog123
This paradigm sounds like its kopped from hipster run-off.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.