• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you guys have brands that you always stick to or favour? I feel like as I become older I want to stick to brands rather than explore

Greathim

Reaction score
I mean when I was young I used to buy shirts every month and discover new brands out there. Now I just want to go with a few selected brands. For me if I want to spend money on sneakers I always go in for golden goose. I love Brunello Cucinelli but can't afford to make it the only brand I shop from so I have started buying shirts from Eton and am planning to stick to that. Apart from that my go to running shoe brand is Brooks, uni pens, Lacoste polos for sports. I'm deciding on a signature scent though. Would love to hear what brands you guys favour and are somewhat attached to.
Also, I love to shop from Aspesi and Boglioli as well.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a process of learning what works for you. Eventually, you learn (or I have, anyway, to a certain extent) and simply stop bothering with the rest. For me, Edward Green, Floris, Optimo, are go-to brands. There are some other brands that I'll purchase from if the product is interesting enough. Drake's is an example of that.

haloitsme

Reaction score
I always buy within my favorite brands, as I know roughly my sizes. Sometimes different offer unique items, so I try them and see than (but rarely happens)

In regards to belts, accessories, ties etc I buy what I like, no specific brand.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a few years of experimentation, I have found some brands that work for me in some categories, and in those categories I don't feel a need for further experimentation, nor do I feel that I'm missing much by not continuing search activities.

Brands that work for me:
-Kamakura and BB in button up collared shirts (BB Milano 16 34 is the best fit I've discovered OTR).
-Incotex & Rota in trousers.
-Church's, C & J, Alden, and AE in shoes (I'm on the Vintage shoe board, what can I say?).

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely like some more than others, depending on the item. Turnbull and Asser for shirts, Foster and Son for shoes (vintage Dacks too), and Charvet/Zegna for ties are some of my favourites.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. As I've got older I have got more picky and understand my own aesthetic more, but I generally have two ways of buying something:

1. I want to buy a specific thing, so I go find out what is the version of that thing that I like best (this can be quite a long and obsessive process...);
2. I happen to see a thing that I like that I didn't want to buy, but the price is right (not completely impulse buying because I have self-control and I know what works for me, but closer to it).

Now, there are some companies who tend to produce more stuff I like or which I have bought in the past, so I might start there, but that's no guarantee I'll end there.

Panama

Reaction score
Being a mid tier type of guy, I am loyal to the following brands:

John Smedley
Sunspel
Smyth and Gibson
Joseph Cheaney
Loake
Alan Paine
Hanro
Derek Rose
Formerly Chester Barrie Black/Gold Label

TomTom

Reaction score
Yeah, I have go to companies for most of my stuff..Floris for fragrances, Bresciani for socks, H&H for shirts, Ede &R, Mason and Sons, Walker Slater for suits and overcoats and Barker and Loake for shoes (lately also C&J), Fred Perry for polo shirts

Betta

Reaction score
Yeah, I have go to companies for most of my stuff..Floris for fragrances, Bresciani for socks, H&H for shirts, Ede &R, Mason and Sons, Walker Slater for suits and overcoats and Barker and Loake for shoes (lately also C&J), Fred Perry for polo shirts
liking those walker slater coats. Is there a US equivalent in terms of pricing?

Panama

Reaction score
Walker Slater. I use to pop into their Fulham store, now closed.

Panama

Reaction score
The Covent Garden store in my go to location.
I have seen that store listed on their website. Like a lot of people I have now gone online. My latest order arrives tomorrow.

Carl England

Reaction score
I mean when I was young I used to buy shirts every month and discover new brands out there. Now I just want to go with a few selected brands. For me if I want to spend money on sneakers I always go in for golden goose. I love Brunello Cucinelli but can't afford to make it the only brand I shop from so I have started buying shirts from Eton and am planning to stick to that. Apart from that my go to running shoe brand is Brooks, uni pens, Lacoste polos for sports. I'm deciding on a signature scent though. Would love to hear what brands you guys favour and are somewhat attached to.
Also, I love to shop from Aspesi and Boglioli as well.

Don't believe in brands that much now, it is about the cut, quality, aesthetics and fit of the products. I used to like Cheaney Shoes until they failed to match a pair of dimpled calf leather Oxford brogues after several attempts, last year. The owners were pretty arrogant on bringing this to their attention. One shoe had more dimples than the other on all the examples that were almost smoothed out. Now stick with Churches, Crocket & Jones, Fosters and some Loakes.

Some brands, off the peg, fit perfectly, so look for any that do this regardless. Older and wiser I guess but in my teen's labels were everything as they are, no doubt, now.

Fragrance : Yves St Laurent, Dunhill, Chanel, Roger and Gallet and some Trumpers.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaving cream, aftershave balms and hair products: Truefitt & Hill
Fragrance: Floris & Penhaligon's

Shoes and Boots: AE (and now C&J is in the mix)
Gym shoes: New Balance

Outerwear: Barbour, Gloverall and Baracuta

Socks and Pocket Squares: Rampley & Co.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ermenegildo Zegna seems to cover all the bases for me. Casual to formal their fit and quality are superlative. Stuff just works for me. Outerwear, suits, sport coats, shirts, ties and scarves, dress and casual pants, you name it.

Crockett & Jones are the perfect level of shoe for me. Seven pairs so far with a mix of loafers, oxfords, and Chelsea boots. Enough quality to fit well, look, nice and last.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads