• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you go to church?

rxcats

Reaction score
When I was a little kid, I had to go to synagogue every Friday night. As I got into my tweens/teens, I had to go once a month for "family services". As an adult, when I still lived in Charlotte, I was coerced into going during the High Holy Days. Now I never go unless it is some life-cycle event like a Bar Mitzvah. I will be going to my nephew's Bar Mitzvah in August which will actually make two times this year! I went to services in February for my mom's 70th birthday; I got guilted into it.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
My parents baptised me as a sort of "insurance policy", but we were never religious. I've never done confession, never been confirmed - zip, zero, nada. I follow a personal code of ethics - basically the Golden Rule - and that's good enough for me. I do have some general spiritualist leanings, which I came to based on personal experiences, but I'm not part of any organised faith.

I once spent Christmas with my grandfather (a fairly devout German Catholic), and was essentially a fish out of water during the Midnight Mass.

So no, no church for me.

Geoff

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither my wife nor I are Christian, but we used to go on occasion, depending on whether or not food will be served after the service or if her cousin was performing in the choir. I liked seeing the family friends that go there all in one spot, and I have little occasion to dress up otherwise. Of course, I like playing dress up.

We stopped going when they started badgering us about baptizing our baby.

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I go to morning "mass" for the free bagels and coffee.

I go to church for other reason.

I certainly go to churh if I know that the priest is one hell a handsome guy.

These days are hardly enough to find a handsome and true strong believer guy.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Daily-on the way to work.
smile.gif

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would, at least occasionally, but I haven't found one that fits, so for the past five years or so, 'none of the above'.

Reaction score
Not my thing. I did go to a Metaphysical Church a couple weeks ago to have my tarot read. I ate a chocolate muffin and a coffee; I can only assume it was someone's body and blood.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
now only on deaths, births and weddings.... any excuse for a piss-up is a good one
devil.gif

before someone tells me they dont do births i meant ablutus

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only on funerals and weddings.

Otherwise Sunday morning is the perfect time for golf. Early bird FTW.

Droog

Reaction score
Attend regularly. Also serve as a deacon.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm somehow unamazed at how many ex-Catholic school students display zero interest in going to church.
I'd go to church more often if I don't get the "holy obligation" bullshit telling me the penal consequence if I don't. Most of it is imaginary anyways, I mean the existence of God and eternal damnation. Hamlet is right in that conscience does make cowards of us all. I voted for occasionally. However, if you look at the poll, it seems that most people are between the two extremes of attending and not attending. This is why religion, or blind acceptance of it, is never good for the soul. Nietzsche once asked, is God a blunder of man or is man a blunder of god? I'd say the former.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go to church more often if I don't get the "holy obligation" bullshit telling me the penal consequence if I don't. Most of it is imaginary anyways, I mean the existence of God and eternal damnation. Hamlet is right in that conscience does make cowards of us all.

I voted for occasionally. However, if you look at the poll, it seems that most people are between the two extremes of attending and not attending. This is why religion, or blind acceptance of it, is never good for the soul. Nietzsche once asked, is God a blunder of man or is man a blunder of god? I'd say the former.

Nietzsche himself is an excellent example of the latter proposition.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dirk diggler
depends. it is hard to get going with two small children, but we seem to make it to sunday school more often now.
I am in the same boat. I am currently in the occasional category, because it is hard to get the kids going on Saturday morning at their young ages, but I would like to go more often and I think it is important to give my children that exposure. If they choose not to attend as adults, at least they will have the experience to make that decision.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go to church more often if I don't get the "holy obligation" bullshit telling me the penal consequence if I don't.

I can certainly sympathize with this frustration. My wife and I go regularly to a liberal Anglican/Episcopal church, populated by intellectual seminarian-types. We hear very little about hellfire/damnation, and more about kindness, compassion, respecting your fellow humans, etc. My wife is very active in the choir and I've been quite active with groups focusing on equity and social justice issues. I've helped cook for a homeless shelter partly supported by our church, for example. One of the things I've enjoyed most about being apart of the Anglican/Episcopal tradition is its strong music tradition and the emphasis placed on thinking, compassion and social responsibility. The whole hellfire/damnation thing is really not my cup of tea, and I eschew many of the right-wing/conservative churches that subscribe to this point of view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads