Do you go barefoot on non-carpeted floors?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

As I said at the beginning mopping alone will not clean your floors. Your just swirling the dirt around. While the floors are still wet go over them with a large beach towel.
    A wet mop doesn't clean a floor? You're serious?

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

As long as the floors are clean then barefoot is the way to go. If you live in a cold climate then you may opt to wear slippers during the winter months. Enjoy life! Be free and relaxed in your own home.

I live in Scandinavia and I never wear shoes inside the house, most of the time I walk around barefoot.
    I don't think that I know anyone who wears shoes inside the house, I had to remove my shoes once while helping a friend move. [​IMG]

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

My parents' house has hardwood, marble, tile, and carpet, and we all walk around barefoot. No dirt/dust accumulation on my feet... Perhaps it's because since day 1 after the house was built, no one wore shoes inside the house, coupled with maid service every week/every other week. I really can't account for it though. I've never had a problem, and I hate hate hate dirty floors/dirty feet.

4. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

Electrostatic dust cloths = the answer.

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

they make these amazing things, usually in wool or cotton, that are like sleeves for your feet, sort of, but they're closed on one end. they call them socks. they have added benefits - they keep your feet warm.

6. BP348

BP348 Senior member

99% of the time when I'm home and not planning on going any where I'm barefoot. When it gets cooler I wear socks. My house has no carpet but I haven't noticed the problem.

7. zhouyu

zhouyu Senior member

no shoes @ home... barefoot or socks... flippy floppys by door to go outside to smoke only...

Don't think I've ever met an Asian that is okay with shoes in the house...

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I have hardwood and tile floors throughout most of my house and used that as a perfect excuse to get a nice pair of slippers last year after we moved in. I like to call them my house shoes just to annoy my wife (she says it makes me sound like I'm 80-years-old).

The slippers I got look like a boat shoe and have a nice heavy-duty vinyl sole which is nice so that I can wear them out to get the newspaper or go into the garage with them and not worry about them getting tore up.

9. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I have hardwood floors on the second level of my townhouse and on the first flight of stairs as well (3rd floor/stairs are carpeted) and I have no problems with dirt on my feet. I do have a maid service that cleans once a month and apparently that is enough to keep dust/dirt/what have you under control.

10. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

A wet mop doesn't clean a floor? You're serious?

you have dirt on your floors. You got the dirt wet. OK tell me what is taking that dirt off your floors?

Wash your car and leave it in the sun without drying it won't be clean. At least with the car it's not a flat surface and the dirt can drain off. floors are flat and the dirt is still there no matter how much to apply a wet mop.

But hey you can lead a camel to water or so the saying goes.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I go barefoot on hardwood floors, and all I have to show for it is a glass shard in my foot from yesterday. [​IMG]

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

You can get them clean enough so that you can walk on them barefoot the entire day with getting your feet dirty?
    Yes. A lot of this depends on the air quality in your building/neighborhood. When I was in montreal, no matter how often I cleaned the floors, my feet would get dirty because of all the shit from the street blowing in the windows. I'm higher up in toronto and there are trees all around, and it's FAR easier to keep the floors clean. Also, I always vacuum and then mop immediately afterwards. The vacuum picks up the worst the dirt/dust/hairs and the mop makes it spotless. I pull the brush off the vacuum frequently to get the hairs/dust off so that it maintains maximum efficiency. I also rinse the mop very frequently in the sink as opposed to in the bucket. I only use the soapy water in the bucket to soak the mop after it's been wrung dry after each rinse in the sink. I doubt I cover more than 24sq.ft between rinses. You don't want to just push dirt around.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

you have dirt on your floors. You got the dirt wet. OK tell me what is taking that dirt off your floors? Wash your car and leave it in the sun without drying it won't be clean. At least with the car it's not a flat surface and the dirt can drain off. floors are flat and the dirt is still there no matter how much to apply a wet mop. But hey you can lead a camel to water or so the saying goes.
    There is soap in the mop water. That's what cleans your floor. And your floor isn't under the blazing heat of the sun unless you've got some kick ass lighting setup in your home. Post pics.

14. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

15. svelten

svelten Senior member

Alternatively you could just wear shoes. I have a lot of asian friends and they don't really "get it" with the wearing shoes indoors thing. I almost feel relieved when I go over to someone new's place (all of my real friends pretty much have at least one asian or otherwise shoe-hater per apartment) and realize that people are still wearing shoes. I am ok with socks or shoes...but in the summer when a lot of people are wearing sandals or sockless shoes, the bare feet gross me out more than shoe soles ever would. Obviously if your shoes are dirty...don't wear them. But otherwise, the soles of your shoes are probably no worse than your gross ass feet after walking around on your hardwood floors.
    Actually what's more disgusting is wearing shoes that are worn outside, with flecks of spit, fecal matter (rat, dog, bird, human, w/e), and all kinds of unmentionable grime into the home. This isn't the third world. I remember an old thread here where almost a third of the people profess to wearing the same shoes inside, even in their bedrooms, as they wore when they walk to work on the rodent-infested subways and claiming it "wasn't that dirty". That said, I prefer indoor loafers / slippers and pretty much wear those most of the time indoors. They never leave the house. The only time I've ever worn outside shoes inside a home is at a very wealthy friend's house party which was mostly hardwood flooring. He has a whole team of cleaners to scrub down the house every morning for several hours.