• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you get treated differently in public w/your nice clothes than without?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
I spend where I feel wanted, it's a easy fix.

Sad thing is that I actually wanted to spend at Alden.
I hear such great things about their shoes from you guys.

So I'm not wanted there, and will not buy their shoes..at least not from there.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
There were two salespersons there, an Asian gentleman and a brunette (Latina looking) lady. Wanted to ask a question about the Brooklands and couldn't get either to make eye contact with me so I skedaddled to Macys where I really belong. It's all good - I really try not to take these things personally.

They are both very nice, as the Latina had helped me ascertain my size in the 8000 last.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
They are both very nice, as the Latina had helped me ascertain my size in the 8000 last.

Well Teddie, I'm sure they are both very nice in your encounters with them. I'm just reporting my experience. Like I said I won't hold a grudge or anything and Lobb still kick's ass.

My friend has a Rottweiler that is incredibly gentle and friendly with family and friends, but will bite the head off a stranger
smile.gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't these people seen the shopping scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts gets revenge?

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Heh. The first thing the guy at the AE store in Manhattan asked me is what I did for a living. Usually salesmen looking for that information are more sly; they ask "Do you work in the neighborhood?" It's a bit ridiculous, really.

npdang

Reaction score
I think you maybe reading way too much into it. Sometimes it's not you at all, but someone having a bad day, feeling bored, tired, or just not wanting to deal with a client at the moment.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
So you 3 instances only 1 of them has a "race" test; but, you've lumped all of the events into the same category because you are Asian?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
My friend has a Rottweiler that is incredibly gentle and friendly with family and friends, but will bite the head off a stranger
smile.gif

Take him with you at your next visit.
smile.gif

moonman

Reaction score
Hard to imagine that in a city with a population that is over 30% Chinese (many of whom are well off) being seen as "half Asian" worked as a negative for you. Maybe you just look like a punk or something?
smile.gif

BTW, I live and work in SF and my two twentysomething kids are "half Asian". I haven't heard them complain about being treated badly anywhere in town.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
you should have walked into Wilkes Bashford if you REALLY wanted to be treated poorly in SF ;-)

I've always been treated very well in Wilkes Bashford. They know, or quickly ascertain, that I'm not going to be buying much more than their cheaper stuff, I'm rarely dressed especially well, and yet they've always been helpful with sizes, suggestions, and drinks!

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That isn't fair. People at Wilkes are very, very friendly. They sell hard, but they do not treat people badly based on how they look.

that was my point

a pressure selling environment

there are lots of nice people there

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
As a stereotypical WASP, I pretty much get treated well no matter where I go.

However, I do notice that if I'm in a suit at the mall, I tend to get approached by other customers who think I'm a store employee.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally get treated very well by salesmen, and I suppose I fit their profile: generally well-put together especially compared to typically casual standards here, conservative haircut, and in an are where there a lot of rich, white kids between 15 and 25 who can blow a lot of money on luxury goods. I sort of try to give off a "don't ask to help me vibe" in all actuality because I usually just want to peruse in peace.

I did enter Nordstrom once dressed about as well as I can on the way to a formal event (well-tailored suit, flashy cufflinks, my best tie.) to have my shoes shined, and I was taken aback by the extremely obvious and immediate interest from every salesmen in the vicinity. One even did a slight double take, and they all sort of drifted in my direction until one of them could casually get close enough to ask me if he could help me. Their body language palpably changed the instant they saw me, like sharks sensing blood in the water.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
As a stereotypical WASP, I pretty much get treated well no matter where I go. However, I do notice that if I'm in a suit at the mall, I tend to get approached by other customers who think I'm a store employee.
That serves you right for being in a "mall" in the first place!!
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads