• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you get sick often?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think we all have friends who seem to get sick every other week. Cold, flu, or just a general feeling of under-the-weather.

Sometimes it seems that some of my Facebook friends have, week after week, status updates that talk about how sick they are.

WTF is up with that? I don't get more than one cold a year, I can't remember the last time I've had the flu, I am usually up and at 'em. I wonder how much of it has to do with mental conditions: depression, anxiety, etc. Are they really sick?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just means that they're one of those needy/insecure dipshits who can't stop posting every waking moment of their lives AND has a weak immune system.

To really answer your question...yeah, some people just seem to be sick all the time. Knock on wood, but I'm good for one solid cold (maybe two) a year. I'm just coming off my annual December/January cold, so I should be good until 2012.

I haven't been to the doctor for an illness in at least 6 years.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was about to say 'no' but I actually do remember the last time I got sick: January 23, 2010. I caught a cold two days before the half-marathon but ran it anyway. Pure and utter misery, I could not get warm afterward and it took another week to recover.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time I ever get sick is when someone at the office comes to work rather than staying home and ends up infecting half of our department. Paid sick leave exists for a reason.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One word: kids. I am in really good shape, eat really well, and get as much sleep as possible. But I have a toddler, and am therefore sick far more frequently than I used to be.

darnelled

Reaction score
Yep^. I have a 3 and 6 yo and work with kids= sick about once/month. Nothing severe, just mainly colds.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally get sick once every year or two. When I do get sick it varies pretty vastly - sometimes it's just a mild cold, other times I'm laid up for a couple of days. I'm still getting over the remnants of what I'm pretty sure is the worst illness I've ever had, and it had been almost two years since I last had any type of illness prior to that.

My kid starts day care in just over two weeks, so I'll be curious to see how much that increases the frequency of illness in my household.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kids are disgusting.

I never get sick, but my girlfriend gets sick all the time.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't use to but with the kids, I'm sick 24/7/365.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started taking vitamins in the summer to make up for my old age and feeble diet. I haven't been ill for more than one season which is surprising given I live in a hotel now, eat out every meal and stay in airports for a good amount of time each week. I have been much more conscious of washing my hands but otherwise am shocked at my good luck.

All this talk about illness in children just dissuaded me more from being near them. I stopped eating finger foods and use cutlery whenever possible.

cimabue

Reaction score
Every time I go to a bar. These days I've stopped drinking from glasses and do bottled beer only, the neck of which I wipe down in a napkin. I don't know how bartenders stay alive. Maybe the germs use them as their special carriers.
sarcasm.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Spoiler: a metric **** ton.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't use to but with the kids, I'm sick 24/7/365.

Ugh. Great. I've heard the first year is the worst, but it gets better once they've been there for a while. I'm really not looking forward to being constantly sick...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads