1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you forgive people that have wronged you?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by olualbert, Mar 31, 2010.

1. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

no benifit in holding a grudge

Self-respect? If someone fucks you over and gets away with it, are you just going to smile and welcome them with open arms the next time you see them? I'd prefer to not be such a doormat.

2. olualbert

olualbert Senior member

Oprah?

I personally do not agree with most of her shows concerning social issues....I think her shows are more geared towards what I termed, "social engineering" which is the reason why most families dp not listen to one another in the states.

3. Eason

Eason Senior member

I'm a bit too forgiving.

4. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Senior member

It definitely depends. I'm a respect driven person. Not in a traditional "respect authority" or "respect my decisions" type way, not at all. In a way more dealing with honesty and manipulation.

I'm not easily offended, and fairly forgiving. However, I think that someone repeatedly lying, violating trust, or attempting to manipulate you is dehumanizing behaviour, you've become a tool, no longer a person. Behaviour like this is extremely offensive to me, and cannot be forgiven. The person's relation to you matters greatly as well, an enemy is more easily forgiven than a friend. An enemy is just doing what they are supposed to, and you'd do the same to them. A friend doing such things is failing miserably at their supposed position, they are severing the bond of trust between friends, and unless swiftly remedied, will be severed forever.

It is very rare I have ever had situations arise where I could not forgive. I have had friends offend me before, and I have stepped in immediately and notified them of the way I felt about their actions very explicitly. It usually never happens again, and that's proof enough for me that they care about and respect our friendship.

In cases where I cannot forgive, I do not hold a grudge, but avoid them. Luckily, I haven't ran into a situation that makes this impossible.

Very well put. I have the same philosophy especially the part concerning friends wronging me. I can't forgive in these instances.

5. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I think is pretty interesting you've said that....forgiving someone does not necessarily mean you condone their act but to empower yourself when discussing the situation and to devoid yourself of any pent-up feelings towards those that have wronged you.

yes. Another example would be a family forgiving a drunk driver who killed their son. They forgive him in that they don't wish ill upon him, but they certainly don't condone drink driving.

No point in harbouring resentment. You gotta do the best thing for yourself.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I gotta be honest: I'm generally a forgiving guy- hell I don't think I have any issues with anybody right now... but I don't think I will ever forgive anyone who might harm my kids, God forbid.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I forgive, and try to forget.

8. Murdoc

Murdoc Senior member

I forgive, and try to forget.

Not trying to be funny, but I tend to forget more then I forgive, so whenever I'm reminded weeks, months, years later, a rant usually follows and then eventually I forget again.

Also, yeah it depends on the situation, some stuff is unforgiveable, but it's pretty rare in my life style.

9. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I am a fairly forgiving person. I can vent my anger and frustration and move on with my life and interact with people who have wronged me much like I did before. I hardly ever forget though.

10. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

I have to stay angry, otherwise I'll feel the yuckier feelings.

12. trader

trader Senior member

I don't believe in an eye for an eye. I believe in two eyes for an eye.

13. wjg23g

wjg23g Active Member

Related Question- I became very close with this girl at school (met family & close friends several times, etc), we then hooked up for a little over a month, then she broke it off (she had a long distance BF, who she told me about but thought she was going to split from, decided not to). we were then friendly for a month & a half. 2 weeks ago, after I brought some drama her way (was never mean to her, just a bit immature), she said to not contact her outside of class and that we could only be casual friends. We sit next to each other in class everyday (seating charts in law school) and we don't talk anymore, just an occasional hello.

Is she not going to forgive me? Should I just forget about her & ignore her? Seems like a petty thing to throw a good friendship away over.

14. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

who gives a fuck dude, she's in the wrong. You're not missing out on anything.

Next time don't try do get with a girl with a boyfriend unless you just want a fling. Even if she did break up with him, you wouldn't have been a prospect.

15. West24

West24 Senior member

im very forgiving but i absolutely never forget. i havent been put into a situation where forigiving isnt an option and hopefully wont ever. im sure there's something none of us could forgive.

16. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Of course - one should always forgive the dead . . .

17. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Forgive but not forget.

18. willpower

willpower Senior member

How can one deliberately forget something anyway?

19. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I'm unforgiving.

My grandmother would hold venom for people who made a passive aggressive comment 40 years ago, even after they were long dead. It must run in the family.

20. CopRock

CopRock Member

A few years ago, my dear friend Doug Meis and two of his friends, Michael Dahlquist and John Glick, were killed in a car crash. It wasn't an accident- the driver was trying to end her own life, and intentionally crashed her car at 90 mph into a car full of strangers. She was released in 2008 after serving less than three years.

Doug was one of the finest people I've ever known, and it burns me up that there's a hole in the world where his wit, music, grace, and future should be. I'm crying at work as I type this, thinking about what his kids would have been like. And of course, it's not just him. The musician and producer Steve Albini wrote a wonderful tribute to Michael Dahlquist here: http://www.chicagoreader.com/pdf/050...22_letters.pdf

I don't forgive her in the slightest. I don't give a shit if she's sorry.

I mentioned this to my colleague when I heard that she was being released from prison; as you might imagine, I was extremely upset. He told me that forgiving the drunk driver who killed his brother was the hardest thing he's ever done, but he did it.

He's a serious Christian, and I'm not a person of faith, but I think that the Christian way of forgiveness is the right one. It's better for the world, and better for the injured person. It's certainly not good for me to bear this anger. I just can't get from here to there.