1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you forgive people that have wronged you?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by olualbert, Mar 31, 2010.

1. olualbert

olualbert Senior member

When I was growing up, I was always told by my parent to forgive: let it go, forgive and forget.... and so on. My intellectual curiosity, however, jump-started recently when someone I cared about pointed my attention to it. So, I am asking folks in the forum, do you forgive people that have wronged you? Do you understand what forgiveness is? If so, share your opinion or thoughts on this topic. Maybe I can learn one or two things from the discussion.

2. hossoso

hossoso Senior member

When you wrong as many people as I do, you would have to be a hypocrite to not be a very forgiving person.

3. Hany

Hany Senior member

If they apologize yes.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    When you wrong as many people as I do, you would have to be a hypocrite to not be a very forgiving person.

This is a very good way to look at it.
    I forgive.
    I hope I am forgiven.

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

My policy is that I'll forgive nearly anything once, provided I care for the person and they're sincerely sorry.

7. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Sure...and then teach them a lesson they'll never forget, so that they never do it again

8. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Senior member

Everyone gets a few free passes in my book.

9. InPa

InPa Well-Known Member

In general yes, on exception no.

10. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

If they give what seems to be a sincere apology, then yes. Otherwise I hold a grudge forever.

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I forgive them in the sense that i won't remain angry at them or anything.

If it's a serious thing like a girlfriend cheating, i'll forgive them but i won't stay with them. So yeah, forgive, but not trust again.

12. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Quicker than I'd like to, usually. Don't think twice, it's alright.

13. olualbert

olualbert Senior member

I forgive them in the sense that i won't remain angry at them or anything.

If it's a serious thing like a girlfriend cheating, i'll forgive them but i won't stay with them. So yeah, forgive, but not trust again.

I think is pretty interesting you've said that....forgiving someone does not necessarily mean you condone their act but to empower yourself when discussing the situation and to devoid yourself of any pent-up feelings towards those that have wronged you.

14. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

depends on what they did.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

"Nothing will be forgiven, everything will be forgotten."

16. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

no benifit in holding a grudge

17. Dw3610wm

Dw3610wm Senior member

My policy is that I'll forgive nearly anything once, provided I care for the person and they're sincerely sorry.

Quicker than I'd like to, usually. Don't think twice, it's alright.

"Nothing will be forgiven, everything will be forgotten."

haha all of these look like their avatars are saying it. ^^

18. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

I forgive those who wrong me and are sorry in the sense that I don't wish ill upon them.

Those who come upon me with malice, I tend to return in kind.

19. Listi

Listi Senior member

It definitely depends. I'm a respect driven person. Not in a traditional "respect authority" or "respect my decisions" type way, not at all. In a way more dealing with honesty and manipulation.

I'm not easily offended, and fairly forgiving. However, I think that someone repeatedly lying, violating trust, or attempting to manipulate you is dehumanizing behaviour, you've become a tool, no longer a person. Behaviour like this is extremely offensive to me, and cannot be forgiven. The person's relation to you matters greatly as well, an enemy is more easily forgiven than a friend. An enemy is just doing what they are supposed to, and you'd do the same to them. A friend doing such things is failing miserably at their supposed position, they are severing the bond of trust between friends, and unless swiftly remedied, will be severed forever.

It is very rare I have ever had situations arise where I could not forgive. I have had friends offend me before, and I have stepped in immediately and notified them of the way I felt about their actions very explicitly. It usually never happens again, and that's proof enough for me that they care about and respect our friendship.

In cases where I cannot forgive, I do not hold a grudge, but avoid them. Luckily, I haven't ran into a situation that makes this impossible.

20. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

I think is pretty interesting you've said that....forgiving someone does not necessarily mean you condone their act but to empower yourself when discussing the situation and to devoid yourself of any pent-up feelings towards those that have wronged you.

Oprah?