• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you feel you are intelligent?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuff Ghost
I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

Welcome. You will find yourself at home on the interwebz.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fun way of phrasing it- whether we *feel* intelligent or not...I myself basically dont care about it and tbh I hate "thinking" itself profoundly and try to avoid it where possible cause Im very lazy; but thinking about it as objectively as one can be at such things Id say that Im probably a bit above average or average (not that it matters anyway-)...

olualbert

Reaction score
It depends on how you look at it: being book smart does not necessarily equate to overall intelligence. I am book smart but I am not generally intelligent. Let me explain what I mean: If you look at people that are successful today, they have been able to master the act of "manipulation" and this in turn has helped them a great deal in life. Generally speaking, a well-rounded person in terms of social interaction tends to be more successful. If you are extremely intelligent and dont understand how to deal with complexities of social interaction, then your intelligence is meaningless.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had my IQ tested twice - 134 and 138 respectively. Whatever. I don't put too much stock into that since a lot of things in life are driven by luck and timing.

Snooki is a half step above marsupialed and I guarantee she's made way more in the last two years than I have.

And I'm sure there are also homeless geniuses out there.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TM79
I've had my IQ tested twice - 134 and 138 respectively. Whatever. I don't put too much stock into that since a lot of things in life are driven by luck and timing.

Snooki is a half step above marsupialed and I guarantee she's made way more in the last two years than I have.

And I'm sure there are also homeless geniuses out there.

Just because you're intelligent, doesn't mean you're going to make a lot of money.

Jarandas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tuff Ghost
I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Welcome. You will find yourself at home on the interwebz.

Or a member of the EU Parliament.
ffffuuuu.gif

olualbert

Reaction score
"There are 3 kinds of intelligence: One kind can understand on its own, the second can understand through others, and the third can understand neither on its own nor through others. The first kind is excellent, the second good enough, the third useless."

Niccolo Machiavelli

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy owns K-Mart."

EDIT: Sorry Mrs. Parker ... I have made amends in that last sentence. The possessive is gone ... as none should be present.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy own's K-Mart."

I can't imagine why she would have told you something like that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I feel well above average ... even if a high school English teacher told me I'd do well to become a clerk at K-Mart. I recall responding, "I think daddy own's K-Mart."
My poor spelling ... I'm sure ... an use of possessive when it isn't about possession ... but rather subject-verb agreement.

blush.gif
and
redface.gif
... I'll correct that Mrs. Parker ... oh yes, yes, I will.

But there are times I avoid using the possessive when it is required. I often type it's for the possessive ... and I do know better. But I can diagram a sentence with ease (not that any job ever required me to do it ... dammit).

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a ******* allstar. Classic under acheiver. ADD back when it wasnt as well understood kept be all kinds of screwed up. Off the charts on tests, etc.. but 0 ability to concentrate or focus. Has it held me back? professionally? Maybe. I always wanted to be a lawyer, and I think I would be very good at it, but I knwo there is no way I would even make it through law school. I feel like I have gotten dumber as the years have gone on, like my brain just cant resolve things any more. I grasp at words, get lost in conversations sometimes, **** like that (hell I probably need to see a doctor about it....), but I always chalk that up to how fast my brain is working, I;ve been told its called cluttering. So because of that, I feel like I could be 'better' than I am, but its not tripped me up as of yet.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
0 ability to concentrate or focus.
I was often told this by teachers ... or more often my parents were told. In all sincerity, I was bored.

As an adult I was diagnosed with ADD and begain talking medication. Within a few months my production of work nearly doubled. However, I got so focused that I couldn't tear myself away. I'd find myself sitting at my desk realizing I needed a break to visit the john ... but I just couldn't tear myself away from what I was doing ... until I absolutely had to.

On a side note, with the taking of medication resulted in more of a focus ... my creative abilities suffered greatly. When medicating ... everything will be nice and precise ... my usual poor spelling will even improve ... but the artistic quality of my work isn't at the level it otherwise would be.

I ... grasp at words, get lost in conversations sometimes ...
I do this when I'm talking and something I've said triggers thoughts about somethings else ... resulting in my talking about one thing and thinking about another (or two). Not good.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I was often told this by teachers ... or more often my parents were told. In all sincerity, I was bored.

As an adult I was diagnosed with ADD and begain talking medication. Within a few months my production of work nearly doubled. However, I got so focused that I couldn't tear myself away. I'd find myself sitting at my desk realizing I needed a break to visit the john ... but I just couldn't tear myself away from what I was doing ... until I absolutely had to.

On a side note, with the taking of medication resulting in a more focus ... my creative abilities suffered greatly. When medicating ... everything will be nice and precise ... my usual poor spelling will even improve ... but the artistic quality of my work isn't at the level it otherwise would be.

I do this when I'm talking and something I've said triggers thoughts about somethings else ... resulting in my talking about one thing and thinking about another (or two). Not good.

Sounds like you and I should have a chat. I dont really talk to anyone about this, but sounds like you may have some insight.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like you and I should have a chat. I dont really talk to anyone about this, but sounds like you may have some insight.
Feel free to PM me sometime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads