Do you feel you are intelligent?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drake, Apr 30, 2008.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I am smarter than some and dumber than others. I submit that there are those who will be smarter in certain things than I ever can or will be. At the same time, I tower above others in much the same manner. C'est la vie.

Jon.

2. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

The results of this poll suggest that SF is very much like Lake Wobegon ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon_effect

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king ...

That's because knowing your way around a poem is more about wisdom than intelligence. Dumbass. [​IMG]

The world is run by C students, eh?

As for myself, I am not running the world, so I'll count myself among the marginally above-average. The secret to my success? A small pond, baby ... [​IMG]

Try checking the leader of the 'free world'...

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

At the same time, I tower above others in much the same manner.

In modesty no doubt.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yet you don't recognize it in the infamous pink cashmere tie thread. [​IMG]

See, that was smart.

No matter how smart I may be, I am far from funny. My jokes are conversation killers.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

See, that was smart.

No matter how smart I may be, I am far from funny. My jokes are conversation killers.

I would respond, but I just...don't...feel...like...it.....

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I did well in college while majoring in biology but taking a lot of upper-level humanity courses. I then went to medical school, finished my residency and now am still trying to establish a busy practice in San Francisco.

My wife? She barely graduated from high school - it was actually alternaive school - but got her diploma anyway. She then spent her 20's traveling around Asia and working as a divemaster or any other odd job she could get to fund her travels. After I met her, she got into wine imports and sales and is now making more money than I am. She drinks and sells great wines for a living with absolutely no student loans, no malpractice insurance, and many, many other perks.

Yes, I can kick her ass in Jeapordy and know how to put together a shattered ankle, but am I smarter than her? Hell no. But you guys can probably make that conclusion since I really don't have a point here. . .

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^pretty cool about your wife.

8. SoSoCal

SoSoCal Member

Interesting thread.

Always a slow learner, not quick witted and still screw up addition problems.

However, the creative side is out of this world as I started graphic design when i was a kid and continue to make Art school grads look bad. That and I seem to have a knack for people, I can detect the slightest difference in mood etc.

Most importantly, being an erudite reader has made me so well versed in so many things that I can detect patterns and trends years ahead of others.

9. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

you will always meet someone who will seem alot more intelligent, but then will amaze you by not knowing something simple....

I think you can only hold a certain amount of information in your mind, intelligence is all about pattern recognition and im sh1t at that so I guess im a fool.

"you can only fill a bucket up with so much sh1t" lol

10. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    My father was somehow "certified" to give and grade Wonderlic tests. For awhile he was testing everyone he knew. One day he pulled me aside and sort of whispered, "Um, Rube. I don't know how to tell you this, but your wife is... well, she's just not very smart."

I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

My father was somehow "certified" to give and grade Wonderlic tests. For awhile he was testing everyone he knew. One day he pulled me aside and sort of whispered, "Um, Rube. I don't know how to tell you this, but your wife is... well, she's just not very smart."

I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

Man, I don't know how you should feel about that either. Fucked up.

This is my theory on intelligence, however, and this should make you feel better. . .
    I look at overall intelligence like a pie chart. You have book smarts, which can be divided into vocabulary, mathematics, memory, whatever. You also can have more abstract intelligence like creativity or be recreate flavors in your head just by thinking about them. Then you have an intelligence that is extremely important but often overlooked, and that's emotional intelligence.

This figurative pie chart is a finite quantity, but can vary to a degree in size among individuals. However, I think most of humanity's quantity/area of their charts are similar in size. How that pie is divided up varies, and to become intelligent in one area is to sacrifice in another.

Just my own metaphor. . .

12. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

The world is run by C students, eh?

I hear the average college GPA of Fortune 500 CEO's is 2.6.

13. Tuff Ghost

Tuff Ghost Well-Known Member

I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

14. fftfft

fftfft Senior member

I consider myself average/above average. What I do always makes people assume some degree of intelligence, but in reality it is just a matter of perseverance/patience and basic logical thinking.

15. ccc123

ccc123 Senior member

To ugly for LA and to dumb for NYC - I guess I'm the right sized fish for the pond I swim in.