1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel you are intelligent?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by drake, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I picked below. 37 years old, not a member of the idle rich, I post here to break up the work day. Nothing there says anything other than "idiot".

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I picked below. 37 years old, not a member of the idle rich, I post here to break up the work day. Nothing there says anything other than "idiot".

"It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says, like dumb! I'm smart and I want respect!"

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

"It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says, like dumb! I'm smart and I want respect!"

You see, there's the difference between me and Freado (and all you that picked "top 5%" [​IMG]). I have no illusions about things.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Had my IQ tested when I was 12. It was pretty darn high. I maxed the Army "IQ" test which is supposed to correlate to your actual IQ. Probably lower today as my wits dim with age.

Still, I don't think I am particularly smart in the sense of being shrewd, sagacious or clever. I often think I am a bit slow-witted.

I'm in the same boat as Jan, which I consider being in good company. I don't think that I have Asperger's syndrome though, so I left that part of the quote out [​IMG]

Because I'm afflicted with a rare bout of candor, I'll admit that I think that I'm most comfortable as a "Number 2". I make a great lieutenant, and am very good at management and at working with and adjusting existing ideas, but that better ideas often come to others first. Actually, stupid ideas come mor easily to others as well, so maybe I'm just incapable of creative thought.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

All I know is that with 80% of the people here claiming to be above average or better, we still have a concurrent thread in which people are unable to figure out how to split a cab fare.

No Matt, it's actually worse. They're arguing over how to split a cab, when the solution is obviously a power saw.

You can probably tell from the above comment that I test well, but have limited practical intelligence. I've worked hard to develop outstanding problem-solving skills and creativity, at the expense of interpersonal and communication skills like writing and speaking. I believe there's some truth to the theory of multiple intelligences and I'm gifted in some areas and a moron in others.

Which raises the question: "Are we all responding to the poll based on our strengths, while minimizing our weaknesses?" I know I did.[​IMG]

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Which raises the question: "Are we all responding to the poll based on our strengths, while minimizing our weaknesses?" I know I did.[​IMG]

Good point. I'm a dumbass at a lot of things.

7. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

While I think intelligence is rightly held in high regard, I still believe that wisdom supersedes it, and in wisdom lies true success.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LOL, currently 18% rated themselves average or below (I rated myself below). The most common reply? Top 5% by a good margin (45% of respondents!)

This thread delivers.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

LOL, currently 18% rated themselves average or below (I rated myself below). The most common reply? Top 5% by a good margin (45% of respondents!)

This thread delivers.

+1. Everybody lied but me. [​IMG]

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This thread delivers.

Sorry if you're not smart enough to understand the complexity of this thread's statistics !

11. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

I voted average. I have more insight than intelligence.

12. lost in va

lost in va Senior member

I'm smart but until someone finds a cure for lazy I'll be unable to show it.

That being said, I'm above average.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Sorry if you're not smart enough to understand the complexity of this thread's statistics !

[​IMG]

14. thetieguy

thetieguy Senior member

People tell me I am smart but I don't feel that I am. I think that holds me back from going for better jobs because I don't feel I am smart. I have a degree from a good school, but don't feel I know as much as others do.

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I'm smart but until someone finds a cure for lazy I'll be unable to show it.

That being said, I'm above average.

I'm with you on that. I'm not a lazy person, but when I go through one of my depressed phases, I will not do a thing.

16. Jenaimarr

Jenaimarr Senior member

my academic credentials would say i'm intelligent (tested really high iq as a child, near-straight A high school student, near-perfect math scores on sat I/II/GRE, finishing up a ph.d), but in the company of my peers throughout all of my academic life, I've always had the constant nagging feeling of self doubt... that I was a dumbass since I never felt i understood anything. It was much easier regurgitating information so that you could feign intelligence.

has academic achievement translated to success in life? nope. I was just good at taking tests. As I got older, I realized I just rested on my laurels and skated by without ever learning any practical knowledge... which I equate with being a dumbass.

17. whacked

whacked Senior member

I feel dumber each passing year, and at a moreso rate during my SF "membership".

True story.

18. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

I didn't vote. I don't get it.

19. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

There are times when I feel that every around me is an idiot... so by the process of elimination I must be a genius.

20. lost in va

lost in va Senior member

There are times when I feel that every around me is an idiot... so by the process of elimination I must be a genius.
    .....every......what?

Who's an idiot? [​IMG]