• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you feel embarassed to go thrifting?

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
I find myself thinking at times when I go thrifting for what was once expensive clothing, partly because i don't want to spend the money or can't afford it. part of me feels like I could be criticized for not spending that time becoming rich so I can buy expensive clothing
but then i can justify it by saying I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on nice clothes, and just want to look nice. For example, i want a nice suit for an upcoming event, and would probably only wear it once or twice this year, why would i spend $1k+ at neimens or saks when i can spend $15 at the thrift store and still look nice, but when i wear it should i feel any less "classier" since i bought it for cheap and used?

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

But be aware of the true cost of thrifting. That $15 used suit will require a sawbuck for dry cleaning and maybe a Grant for alterations and tailoring.

951socal

Reaction score

I find myself thinking at times when I go thrifting for what was once expensive clothing, partly because i don't want to spend the money or can't afford it. part of me feels like I could be criticized for not spending that time becoming rich so I can buy expensive clothing
but then i can justify it by saying I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on nice clothes, and just want to look nice. For example, i want a nice suit for an upcoming event, and would probably only wear it once or twice this year, why would i spend $1k+ at neimens or saks when i can spend $15 at the thrift store and still look nice, but when i wear it should i feel any less "classier" since i bought it for cheap and used?

you can tell when clothing is thrifted

like suiting
there are tell-tale signs of it being used/thrifted

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

like suiting

In many cases yes. A lot of the stuff I see on racks are rather tired looking, some shine, bad dry cleaning and pressing, slightly fraying in areas, fabric looks and smells "dusty", etc.

I've been able to find some absolute gems, though it takes a lot of searching.

I don't feel bad thrifting at all. I see tons of "wealthy looking" people popping in and out of the higher end thrift, consignment, and housing work shops here in NYC.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would only be embarrassed if I had to thrift out of necessity.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would only be embarrassed if I had to thrift out of necessity.

Good point.

I have not been doing it for years. I haven't needed to thrift in many years but it can be fun.

But a few years ago a friend of mine came here from LA. He is rich and famous.

He brought his wife who I had not met. I saw her before they left and asked her what she most wanted to do in Houston. She said she wanted to visit Houston thrift stores! True story.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

like suiting

How exactly can you tell if it has been thrifted or just owned by me for a while? Is the goodwill tag still hanging off the back?

If I wear my suit tomorrow and decide that it no longer fits me or I am tired of the style, I might donate it to the thrift store.
Some guy might then come in and decide he likes the style or spring for getting the pants shortened when he takes it to the cleaners--how is his suit going to look any different than if I had kept it?

I can understand clothes that are beat to **** when they show up at the thrift, but most astute shoppers won't buy things with little life left in them.

Last edited:

951socal

Reaction score

How exactly can you tell if it has been thrifted or just owned by me for a while? Is the goodwill tag still hanging off the back?
If I wear my suit tomorrow and decide that it no longer fits me or I am tired of the style, I might donate it to the thrift store.
Some guy might then come in and decide he likes the style or spring for getting the pants shortened when he takes it to the cleaners--how is his suit going to look any different than if I had kept it?
I can understand clothes that are beat to **** when they show up at the thrift, but most astute shoppers won't buy things with little life left in them.

if you're in your mid twenties and you're wearing something that doesn't have a low rise like something from express, single or no vent, is starting to fray
has normal width lapels vs the super skinny stuff younger guys wear

chances are you haven't been wearing THAT suit for 20+ years and had recently acquired it

eddiecibrian

Reaction score

Good point.
I have not been doing it for years. I haven't needed to thrift in many years but it can be fun.
But a few years ago a friend of mine came here from LA. He is rich and famous.
He brought his wife who I had not met. I saw her before they left and asked her what she most wanted to do in Houston. She said she wanted to visit Houston thrift stores! True story.

Thrifting in Houston is not very good imo, especially after having gone to the consignment stores in nyc. even the last call and off 5th is not eye opening here, the difference is drastic, i wish houston would get better.

Last edited:

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thrifting in Houston is not very good imo, especially after having gone to the consignment stores in nyc. even the last call and off 5th is not eye opening here, the difference is drastic, i wish houston would get better.

Well it's hard for me to compare Houston to other cities.

I really haven't thrifted in Houston for years. And many years ago in NYC I seem to remember thrift stores on 3rd Ave. and on 8th Ave. in the city. I don't remember any in Brooklyn back then though I'm sure there must have been some.

If I had to guess I would think that there are better finds in NYC but they are more expensive.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few ways you can tell and rules I use. Look at the collars of mens shirts, sometimes you can see where they stapled the price tags. Look out for people showing up in stuff you know is not recent. Some stuff is timeless, but some of it is very period.

I have been thrifting for years, but as a general rule, I don't really tell anyone where I get stuff from. It actually took me a long time to tell my wife about it, turns out she loves it too. For me it started out like everyone else, looking for vintage t-shirts, then it was shirts, the it was game on. I get pleasure from shopping (don't ask), so its much easier to buy 10 shirts for 30 bucks, than one shirt for 30 bucks.

However, as my closet has gotten out of hand, and i have matured in my ways, I am trying to divest a lot of stuff that I no longer wear. The problem is that i just can't bear to get rid of a Thomas Pink shirt I paid 3 dollars for, even though it doesn't really fit. I am getting better, I promise, but still a long ways to go!

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It actually took me a long time to tell my wife about it, turns out she loves it too.

This is just want I was about to post in the "zero-g inverted double cowgirl manoeuvre" thread.

valium

Reaction score
literally 95% percent of my home is thrifted (except the Bed/matress and my flat screen).
i have about $15000 worth of vintage mid century furniture i bought for around $500 over the last 5 years,here is a list:

Bang & Olufsen vintage receiver complete with teak speakers paid $50 worth around $1500
2 LEATHER Arne jacobsen swan chairs (little faded on leather but just adds character) paid $19.99 each worth about $2500 each
cadovius coffee table (CADO) paid $9.00 saw one on ebeay recently for $700
Hans Olsen dining set this one was a lot $125 but retails around $2000
a Peter Max print (small but still) $1.99 at salvation army
also had a egg chair which i sold bought for $25 sold for $1900
rosewood desk,forget the maker but made in denmark. bought for $99
a lot of other smaller stuff including a **** load of vintage french and italian made bikes and other stuff i cant think of at the moment.
a guy i know just found a tadeusz styka painting for $10 and sold for nine grand.

Last edited:

HelloIDistance

Reaction score

literally 95% percent of my home is thrifted (except the Bed/matress and my flat screen).
i have about $15000 worth of vintage mid century furniture i bought for around $500 over the last 5 years,here is a list:

Bang & Olufsen vintage receiver complete with teak speakers paid $50 worth around $1500
2 LEATHER Arne jacobsen swan chairs (little faded on leather but just adds character) paid $19.99 each worth about $2500 each
cadovius coffee table (CADO) paid $9.00 saw one on ebeay recently for $700
Hans Olsen dining set this one was a lot $125 but retails around $2000
a Peter Max print (small but still) $1.99 at salvation army
also had a egg chair which i sold bought for $25 sold for $1900
rosewood desk,forget the maker but made in denmark. bought for $99
a lot of other smaller stuff including a **** load of vintage french and italian made bikes and other stuff i cant think of at the moment.
a guy i know just found a tadeusz styka painting for $10 and sold for nine grand.
I have no idea what most of that stuff is, but it sounds impressive. Where do you live?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
looks like he lives in a cave, man.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads