• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you fear death?

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solution: get rid of religion...true

Solution: Ask Jesus Christ to forgive everything you've done wrong and will do and
believe in Him.

Romans 10:9, "If you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your
heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved".

John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth and the life. The ONLY way to the Father, is
through the Son."

"For God so loved (your name), that He gave His only Son, that (your name) believes in
Him should not perish but have eternal life. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not
believe has been judged already..." John 3:16, 18

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with eccentrics like the one above, is that you don't know whether they've just discovered a profound truth in religion or if they're just borderline marsupialed.

And I'm pending a "whats the difference?" post in 5..4..

MumRaww

Reaction score
I have some things I want to experience before I go, appart from that I don't care much I think.

And I have no idea what will happen after I die, that part doesn't bother me much yet.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
Bad News

Every single thought and action that you have done in sin; lust, covet, lie, steal, etc
you will be held accountable to. There is no way, in any religion to get rid of this. Because
of this, you will spend eternity in Hell. You will be tormented constantly and hopelessly
and helplessly without any relief. You may even remember this internet post, you read now.
(re-read this, because it is true and I am praying that you will be alert enough to understand
this).

Good News

2000 years ago, God became a man, lived a perfect (sinless) life and took your place,
your punishment on the cross. Jesus did this and died, rose again three days later
and is alive. He knows you are reading this right now. If you trust in this, pray and
ask Jesus Christ to forgive your sins and take your life. He will change you and
your life. You will still mess up, but will have eternal life. This is the most true
message in this world. (Read the Bible; Romans 3:23, 6:23, 10:8-9, John 3:16)

Originally Posted by CDFS
That's rather evasive.

confused.gif

FELT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
The problem with eccentrics like the one above, is that you don't know whether they've just discovered a profound truth in religion or if they're just borderline marsupialed.

And I'm pending a "whats the difference?" post in 5..4..

Well, I don't see that he can be said to have "discovered a profound truth in religion", rather than taken a (profound?) leap of faith. He's just quoted some assertions from a book that are only meaningful if you are determined to believe that the book is intrisically truthful. Taken in isolation, how could anyone read those words and think "oh yes, you've got a point there"? (Other than maybe as a comfort against the fear of death).

I do recognise that there are plenty of other passages in the Bible with moral statements that seem profoundly true, independent of a determination to believe in the truth of whatever's in the book.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FELT
Well, I don't see that he can be said to have "discovered a profound truth in religion", rather than taken a (profound?) leap of faith. He's just quoted some assertions from a book that are only meaningful if you are determined to believe that the book is intrisically truthful. Taken in isolation, how could anyone read those words and think "oh yes, you've got a point there"? (Other than maybe as a comfort against the fear of death). I do recognise that there are plenty of other passages in the Bible with moral statements that seem profoundly true, independent of a determination to believe in the truth of whatever's in the book.
Well I was talking partly in jest, but wouldn't you agree that there has to be something behind such conviction? Taking such a leap of faith surely presupposes some kind of strength or weight to that which one is convinced about - either that or the aforementioned marsupialation on the person's part. Mind you, it's another thing altogether as to whether that thing of value (e.g.: a profound truth in religion ) which the person is convicted upon can be expressed in words or not, and that's essentially why I posed the question - because all you can really ascertain from such ramblings is that someone has an exceptionally strong conviction towards Christianity, not why.

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys

I know that what I've written may seem abrupt. I want you to know that in 2002, though
having a high income, an expensive home, BMW, rolex, vacations, a wife and family, I was empty.
I was invited to an early morning Bible study. After being invited several times, I went. As
I began to read the Bible, over a period of time, and praying, I became a Christian.

I invite you to do the same. If you have never read the Bible, start in one of the Gospels; Matthew, Mark, Luke, John.

Consider this. If what I wrote about heaven and hell is true (which it is), you can understand the
alarming pronouncements I made.

Also, after I wrote the post yesterday about the BAD NEWS/GOOD NEWS, I asked 20 of my Christian friends to begin praying for you who are reading these posts. May the Lord Jesus Christ bring light into your mind and heart to understand that this is true.

Amen

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
Also, after I wrote the post yesterday about the BAD NEWS/GOOD NEWS, I asked 20 of my Christian friends to begin praying for you who are reading these posts. May the Lord Jesus Christ bring light into your mind and heart to understand that this is true.

Thank you, that is the kindest thing that anyone has ever done for me. May the lord Christ be with you.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't believe in anything after death.

I don't really fear it, but I don't court it. I have established good resources for my family for when I die, and I think that I have started good education for my kids, good family culture. I would hate to miss seeing my kids grow up, and I would hate for them to grow up without a father in thier life, aside from that, I don't fear death.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here lies CBrown85, 1985-2010 Died Tragically Rescuing His Family From The Wreckage Of A Destroyed Sinking Battleship

Doctor

Reaction score
I am a Christian. I don't fear death because I know the truth about it.

I'm sure that if I was simply guessing that death = lights out, or guessing that I would go to heaven based on a gut feeling, a self-guided decision, I wouldn't really have certainty about it and would thus be absolutely afraid.

Whatever your view of death, it's important to have some pretty solid reasons as to why you view it that way. A guess is quite a gamble. If our soul does continue to exist after our body dies, then bodily life would be but a tiny period in the scheme of things. For example, the Bible says it's comparable to the blink of an eye.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
I'm going to live forever. So far so good..

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Yes. The thought of my consciousness ending is both unimaginable and terrifying. However, I don't tend to dwell on it.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a serious note, I don't fear death. When I die, it will be 'lights out' (I will not survive my own death, I don't believe that I have a soul, etc.). I won't be there, so I have no rational reason to fear an event that I technically won't be present at.

dhaller

Reaction score
I regard death as more of a tremendous inconvenience than a source of terror - something like an interruption in internet service with no chance of restoration.

I mean, my list of "books to read" alone makes me crave vampiric immortality.

DH

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads