1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do you fear death?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by skywalker, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Nosu3

Nosu3 Well-Known Member

i imagine it's like that feeling when you go under anaesthesia.

I think so too, but that's why I don't allow them to use it on me.

2. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

I think so too, but that's why I don't allow them to use it on me.

You tough mother fucker!

3. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Well-Known Member

@tagutcow-no way in hell hitchens will make a death bed conversion, although rumors from religious nuts will definitely be thrown around.

empathy is tricky. possibly just a neurological misfiring or even a trait that helps us achieve the only objectives we have as humans:
    1. stay alive (which allows us to)
    2. pass on our genes

4. Nosu3

Nosu3 Well-Known Member

You tough mother fucker!
    For wisdom teeth. I had to go to several doctors before finding one who would do the surgery without general anesthetic, just local.
    empathy is tricky. possibly just a neurological misfiring or even a trait that helps us achieve the only objectives we have as humans: 1. stay alive (which allows us to) 2. pass on our genes
    No there is more to empathy than that. Humans are social animals and empathy helps keep order. Procreating isn't always an objective because humans are able to live passed fertility.

5. Dar FTW

Dar FTW Well-Known Member

^there isn't more to empathy than that. even if we assume what you say about empathy keeping order, ultimately it's still aiding our survival. we're genetically programmed to pass on our genes that promote survival and a feeling like empathy may help. thats how natural selection works

the fact that we live past fertility can be attributed to modern medicine. humans have existed for like 200,000 yrs. and only the last few hundred have we been able to outlive fertility.

6. thecentennial

thecentennial Well-Known Member

the thing that calms my fears about the eternity after death is when i remember that the eternity before my birth doesn't really bother me at all.

Never thought about it like this, but this is spot on.

7. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I fear death at this stage of my life, not because of the pain or the loss of my existence but for not finishing what I think are my life goals and more importantly for not growing old with my wife and kids.

8. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

Never thought about it like this, but this is spot on.
    Feuerbach made this argument first, I think, but back then I think the common understanding was that the Universe was something that was just always around. Nowadays the common understanding is that the Universe does not extend indefinitely backwards into the past.

9. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Well-Known Member

I fear death at this stage of my life, not because of the pain or the loss of my existence but for not finishing what I think are my life goals and more importantly for not growing old with my wife and kids.

+1

10. XenoX101

XenoX101 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I believe most of what I'm reading in this thread. I mean to not fear death is essentially to not value life, for if you value anything in life then the notion of having it stripped away from you must cause some discomfort.

And re: the 'non-awareness' argument, it should be noted that even if you aren't privy to your dead state, your fundamental existence has still been destroyed. To use an analogy, a rock is clearly oblivious to any concept of life both in 'thought' and existence, but does that make a rock no worse off than a human? No, its existence is far inferior to that of a human, and its lack of perception doesn't change this simple fact in any way.

11. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Trust me, its overrated. Life, on the other hand, is fucking scary.

12. Salad

Salad Well-Known Member

I'm not afraid of being dead, not being around while everything goes on. That doesn't bug me.
    It's the process of dying that scares me somewhat.

13. tagutcow

tagutcow Well-Known Member

I jerk off to "Final Destination" movies. (0)

14. Incman

Incman Well-Known Member

Good, thought-provoking thread, Being 18, I obviously still have countless things I wish to accomplish with my life. The thought of an untimely death is certainly frightening to my, currently conscious, mind. I do not particularly fear a freak accident such as being hit by a bus or a suicide-bomb (not that I'm worried about that, just to demonstrate an instant death scenario) because at the exact moment that happens, my mind will cease to exist. I do not fear that, because if that were to happen there would be no feelings. My mind would cease to exist, and I would not encounter any of the feeling associated with my fear of death.

On the other hand, if I were to be diagnosed with a fatal disease tomorrow and given a timeline, I believe the sense of fear I would feel would be overwhelming and crippling. I would be forced to sit there while I knew that my life was ending, and I think I would go crazy. It's hard to say how these thoughts will change as I become an adult and (hopefully) live a fulfilling and meaningful life. When I am, say, 70 and have lived a full life and accomplished things I wished to accomplish with my life, I think the prospect of death may not be so terrifying. But as it stands right now I most definitely fear death.

15. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Well-Known Member

Epicurus said something very cool about it... something like "If you are alive, you are not dead; if you are dead, you are no more", but more eloquently. So essentially, who cares? If your fear of death prevents you from enjoying life then you're being irrational.

16. zeezee

zeezee Member

to be honest im not scared of dieing , just i dont want to

id give anything to live forever

17. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Well-Known Member

18. Dedalus

Dedalus Well-Known Member

19. uhurit

uhurit Well-Known Member

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: that's precisely what will happen.

Good news: you won't exist anymore, nor will your consciousness, so you will not have to sit around for all eternity and ponder your nonexistence. You won't be, ergo, your mind won't be. I know it's daunting to contemplate sitting on the proverbial sidelines of all existence for eternity. But you won't be around to dwell on it, to care about it, or to be aware of it.

Does a rock get bored with being a rock? Does a piece of lumber contemplate the tree from which it came? Once you're dead, your mind will cease to exist, and your body will be no more special or alive than the rock or the wood.

+1

The only way not to fear death for a human is to die while living

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    The only way not to fear death for a human is to die while living

That is really fucking deep, man.