• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you expect compliments when dressing up?

PTWilliams

Reaction score
When I wear attention commanding clothes, such as plaid jacket, or unusual colored pants (mustard, pink, aqua, purple), my usual test if it works is whether I receive at least three complements in an evening. I have a crean houndstooth Dior jacket that pulls in about 5 or 6 complements each time I wear it. Its not uncommon for guys or girls to want to take their picture with me. Several times guys have asked to borrow a jacket or a hat so they can be photographed in it. This has affected how I dress, I'm not sure how it plays out on a date for me to receive much more atttention than the girl. Only once did I receive a complement from a gay guy trying to score. Being very well dressed in a more conservative mode doesn't generate the same response, I think because you are doing something well that people expect. My Berlutti shoes have never been complemented, but I have some alligator, whole-cut Edmond Allens, and spectator shoes that have been complemented on. Of course, this is the San Francisco Bay Area and most guys dress like they don't care. Girls do a bit better.

Calder

Reaction score
It seems to be shoes that draw comments the most.

That said, not often comments, but just a glance in the street as someone looks at you a bit longer because the outfit just works...

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
I not only expect compliments, but I think people should stand and applaud when I enter a room.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems to be shoes that draw comments the most.

That said, not often comments, but just a glance in the street as someone looks at you a bit longer because the outfit just works...

Or perhaps because the outfit just doesn't work...only kidding. :)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not at all.

Calder

Reaction score
Or perhaps because the outfit just doesn't work...only kidding.
smile.gif
Could be true... but I have friends I know would be more than willing to point out any such flaws ;)

Ivar

Reaction score
I think, if you've been into classic menswear for a while, and you've learned the ropes, and you've rid your style of its teething troubles, and you've gotten a few thumbs up in the WAYWT thread, and you've rid your style of its extravagances, and you've made it through Acridsheep's N00b Lifecycle, and you've returned to the basics with newfound vim, and you've gotten yourself out there, and you've paid your dues, then compliments will come to you quite naturally.

I get them most every time I'm out and about, and really, if you're a socially well-adjusted man who puts some effort into learning this stuff, that's to be expected.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No...and when I get them, they don't mean much to me. Compliments are mainly cheap conversation-fillers; they're statements of the obvious just because you need something to say. People who "expect" them have self-esteem issues (either too little or too much).

Last edited:

Classically

Reaction score
Not really. Whenever I do get comments, they're usually about my hat, not the clothes I'm wearing.

Robert

JDMills

Reaction score
I usually get a compliment about my shoes or pocket square ("I really like that thing in your pocket") or if I'm wearing something really loud, a butcher stripe shirt with a white collar and french cuffs and a bright gold tie, but besides that not really. I don't expect them but give them out if I do really see something I like, dressing well really is a personal thing, you do it for you not for compliments, you know you look good is all that matters.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were "not uncommon for guys or girls to want to take their picture with me because of my clothes", I would seriously rethink what I'm wearing. But that's just me.

Mr Martini

Reaction score
If it were "not uncommon for guys or girls to want to take their picture with me because of my clothes", I would seriously rethink what I'm wearing. But that's just me.
ya id have to agree with that one, especially if people were asking me to dress up in my clothes for pictures.

People compliment me but more often than not people ask why im so dressed up. I dont care either way

Simplicio

Reaction score

Yeah, this makes me think of how people like to pose with cartoon characters at Disneyworld. Not really the effect you want.

My feeling is that if I do not regularly get (good) compliments, then I am doing something wrong and need to re-think my approach. The non-SF competition out there is so bad that it really should not be all that hard to dress better than 99% of men in the world.

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, for me when I was younger I did not have the confidence to compliment a guy who in my opinion had made an 'effort' to look good and dress noticeably well. I used to over analyse the situation as in.. what if the thinks I'm gay and coming on to him, or.. what if he is embarrassed by the attention, now.. I don't give a hoot who they sleep with or even if they do double back flips when they think no one is watching.

Now that I am more mature, I always make a special effort to compliment a person that has made an effort to do something well, whether that be wearing a suit and tie and looking good in it, or something else. Hey maybe I drop dead tomorrow, then there would be one less person i could have done something good for. So, in my opinion, make the effort guys, it is always worth it to make even a small positive difference to another person's life.

I am very aware though, of the pleasure it gives the person being complimented. It usually starts with attention and focus as in, what does this stranger want from me, then it soon turns into a huge smile when they realise that they are actually being given something that adds to, or reinforces their impression of their self worth. They then usually / always thank you profusely for what you have said, and they go on their way with a slightly more perceivable spring in their step. I too am pleased at being able to have done something good for another person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads