• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever wear a hat? If so, what kind?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?????????
teacha.gif

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every day. During the summer I wear straw fedoras. In the winter, fur felt fedoras and a homburg. Brands: Borsalino, Stetson, Biltmore, Dobbs.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a gray wool herringbone tweed flat cap that I've worn to death. I've been looking for another one to replace it, and a summer version, but I haven't been looking hard enough.

topbroker

Reaction score
Frequently, yes. I have two fedoras at the moment (dark gray and dark tan), as well as a cream Panama with a black band (I wore this today with a seersucker suit). I also have several caps, including a Scottish tweed that I have owned for almost 30 years and really adore.

Hats are one of the items that people invariably comment on, I find. Especially when I wear the gray hat with a gray suit in non-topcoat weather -- that's very 1950s, very Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (great novel, by the way), and I am often told so in an admiring way.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topbroker
Especially when I wear the gray hat with a gray suit in non-topcoat weather -
It's funny, I'll wear a Panama with a suit/sportcoat but I save the felts for overcoat weather.
confused.gif

hadecker

Reaction score
A vintage Panama hat. I like the way it looks even with a cuban shirt and pants.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, my two best fedoras were acquired from fellow SFer, The_Foxx--two beautiful Worth & Worth fur-felt fedoras, one a light-medium gray (the "Cortina") and the other a fawn, or light-medium brown (the "Wynton"). These are my best fur-felt fedoras, but I have a couple of others: a Bailey Madison in navy for wearing with a navy overcoat, and a Robert Hall model in dark brown. For summer I have a relatively inexpensive straw fedora and a higher-quality Ultrafino Montecristi Panama hat. Finally, for very casual activities I have an Indiana Jones-style fedora. I first got interested in hats because of thinning hair, but have got to really appreciate their esthetics. Lately, I've been trying hard to think of some conceivable reason to wear a Homburg (they're so damn elegant) so that I could justify buying one. Vintage Gent, on what occasions do you wear yours?

Topbroker, I have had trouble feeling that comfortable in a hat when wearing a suit or jacket/trousers combination without a topcoat, although I have, on occasion, gone ahead and worn one anyway. How do the rest of you guys feel about that?

j, STP has had some wool tweed "driving caps," as they call them, at very good prices.

Do you guys see certain sub-styles of fedoras as better for casual wear than dress and vice-versa--as, for example, brim width, crease style, etc.?

Edit: Kai, that's just a great website--the Panama Hat Company of the Pacific. Jeez, I may just have to order a Gatsby fedora!
smile.gif

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Vintage Gent, on what occasions do you wear yours?

Literally just about every time I leave the house, save for going to the gym or the beach. During the week, I wear them with suits or with a blazer and odd trousers.

On the weekend, I'll pair a fedora (straw from April to October, fur felt from November to March) with a camp collar sport shirt and a pair of odd trousers.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Literally just about every time I leave the house, save for going to the gym or the beach. During the week, I wear them with suits or with a blazer and odd trousers.

On the weekend, I'll pair a fedora (straw from April to October, fur felt from November to March) with a camp collar sport shirt and a pair of odd trousers.

The entire outfit is outstanding.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The entire outfit is outstanding.

seconded

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads