Do you ever wear a hat? If so, what kind?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

?????????[​IMG]

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Every day. During the summer I wear straw fedoras. In the winter, fur felt fedoras and a homburg. Brands: Borsalino, Stetson, Biltmore, Dobbs.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I have a gray wool herringbone tweed flat cap that I've worn to death. I've been looking for another one to replace it, and a summer version, but I haven't been looking hard enough.

5. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

Frequently, yes. I have two fedoras at the moment (dark gray and dark tan), as well as a cream Panama with a black band (I wore this today with a seersucker suit). I also have several caps, including a Scottish tweed that I have owned for almost 30 years and really adore.

Hats are one of the items that people invariably comment on, I find. Especially when I wear the gray hat with a gray suit in non-topcoat weather -- that's very 1950s, very Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (great novel, by the way), and I am often told so in an admiring way.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Especially when I wear the gray hat with a gray suit in non-topcoat weather -
    It's funny, I'll wear a Panama with a suit/sportcoat but I save the felts for overcoat weather. [​IMG]

7. hadecker

hadecker Active Member

A vintage Panama hat. I like the way it looks even with a cuban shirt and pants.

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Only when it rains and its one of several Loro Piana Storm System cashmere baseball caps.

9. Kai

Kai Senior member

10. Roger

Roger Senior member

Interestingly, my two best fedoras were acquired from fellow SFer, The_Foxx--two beautiful Worth & Worth fur-felt fedoras, one a light-medium gray (the "Cortina") and the other a fawn, or light-medium brown (the "Wynton"). These are my best fur-felt fedoras, but I have a couple of others: a Bailey Madison in navy for wearing with a navy overcoat, and a Robert Hall model in dark brown. For summer I have a relatively inexpensive straw fedora and a higher-quality Ultrafino Montecristi Panama hat. Finally, for very casual activities I have an Indiana Jones-style fedora. I first got interested in hats because of thinning hair, but have got to really appreciate their esthetics. Lately, I've been trying hard to think of some conceivable reason to wear a Homburg (they're so damn elegant) so that I could justify buying one. Vintage Gent, on what occasions do you wear yours?

Topbroker, I have had trouble feeling that comfortable in a hat when wearing a suit or jacket/trousers combination without a topcoat, although I have, on occasion, gone ahead and worn one anyway. How do the rest of you guys feel about that?

j, STP has had some wool tweed "driving caps," as they call them, at very good prices.

Do you guys see certain sub-styles of fedoras as better for casual wear than dress and vice-versa--as, for example, brim width, crease style, etc.?

Edit: Kai, that's just a great website--the Panama Hat Company of the Pacific. Jeez, I may just have to order a Gatsby fedora! [​IMG]

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent, on what occasions do you wear yours?

Literally just about every time I leave the house, save for going to the gym or the beach. During the week, I wear them with suits or with a blazer and odd trousers.

[​IMG]

On the weekend, I'll pair a fedora (straw from April to October, fur felt from November to March) with a camp collar sport shirt and a pair of odd trousers.

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Literally just about every time I leave the house, save for going to the gym or the beach. During the week, I wear them with suits or with a blazer and odd trousers.

[​IMG]

On the weekend, I'll pair a fedora (straw from April to October, fur felt from November to March) with a camp collar sport shirt and a pair of odd trousers.

The entire outfit is outstanding.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

seconded

14. Vintage Gent

Thanks, matt (and globe). It's full of Chanly goodness.

15. Soph

Soph Senior member