1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever get dirty looks from people about the way you dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Pieceofsand, Oct 18, 2011.

1. atila

atila Senior member

I always get compliments... not sure why you get dirty looks.

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Personally, I don't recollect receiving dirty looks or treatment when well dressed but have certainly experienced such when wearing beater clothes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  3. Kslim

Kslim Senior member

Mostly compliments. Never dirty looks but the occasional second glance. :)

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I would be glad to get either dirty/admiring looks :D Most people i meet just don't give a damn, or at least don't seem to be bothered with such things. Fine by me, i dress how i please.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've had a couple people ask me how I could stand wearing a jacket in the summer with a look of disbelief, but that's about the only negative attention.

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

never dirty looks, but i get picked on a lot....typpical ribbing in the office, and the "hey fag!" everywhere else. oh well. When i was younger it would bother me, but nowadays i really could give two fucks about it. Id much rather be comfortable in what i have on then look at pics of myself 20 years from now and wonder why i followed this stupid trend or that dumb fashion. i have enough of that to worry about form my pre sf days. :lol:

7. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I don't get dirty looks. I get phone numbers and business contacts. :slayer:

8. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

Many persons don't like nonconformity and show this antipathy. The concept of individuality sounds good, but in practice it requires tolerance and desire to understand the strange.

9. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

DerekS
    1. Bravo!
    2. It is a matter of habit - one gets accustomed to the pain by developing a new knowledge of the situation. So you know or learn what discrimination in the negative sense means - instead of having the wrong body, you have the wrong clothes.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Friend beside me: "Yes, because you have to figure out the motive as well."

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

id hardly say i got accustomed to the pain...or even have a slight idea what it would be to be discriminated against. I just figure I got enough gorgeous women to not give a fuck what a guy in a jc penny polo shirt thinks of me :lol::lol:

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Derek, out of curiosity did you get ripped on pre-SF as well? You've never posted pics but from what you've said I'd imagine it was pretty bad. Granted, that was in a simpler time :)

While my friends and co-workers rib me pretty good about how I dress I have to imagine I'd draw way more ire if I was decked out in Ed Hardy.

13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

actually, pre-SF...in bars downtown nashville, i was a fucking icon. :lol: sad, but dead serious. It was before jersey shore, and nobody here had heard of true religion or ed hardy, etc. I played in a band and dressed the part. Ive got pics....dyed black hair, rings, bracelets, huge breitling watch, wallet chains, eye liner, etc. sad to see. People thought i looked awesome...now, when im 50, and see myself then, ill be embarrassed as hell. the change started when everyone started wearing ed hardy and you could get tshirts for 30 bucks...when i was buying them i was paying over 100 and not many people were stupid enough to fork out that. After i lost the hardy shit, i went to dark denim and white t shirts and chucks...much less douchey. haha. now, suits. :lol:

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

That description + your reputation for getting hot chicks gives me this image :devil::

[​IMG]

I am also now imagining this dude in Kiton and Lobbs. Seems pretty natural. :lol:

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

HA!!! Ive got to dig around for a pic of me and my old asian girlfriend....pretty much in that exact pose :lol: I had short spikey hair though....and a better tan hahaha. Ill have to post some pics soon. probably keep that in DT though :embar:

1 person likes this.
  16. celery

celery Senior member

No dirty looks to date, but who knows how people will respond as I expand my color palette to "crazy italian in front of the pitti uomo level". So far, the purple pants were well received.

17. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh thats good you work in an office like that - I always enjoyed office banter where you give and take in equal measure ;)

That is part of the fun. Count yourself lucky you dont work in an office where you say "good morning", and rest grunt / mumble some kind of response and office banter does not go outside of the sphere "the weather is going to be nice this weekend".

A hey fag comment is very dumb and irritating greeting, on many levels. I dont let things like that bother me deeply, but I do question the state of mind of the person addressing someone with that terminology. However, Greeks say malaka to each other as a term of friendly endearment, where malaka means wanker in a rough translation.

Reading through responses though, I cant believe that the way people dress makes them a target of jest or sneers. Is there something else, i.e. loud and proud "chest puffing out" gait, spitting / gobbing in the street, have an overly boisterous voice etc?

I cant remember anyone commenting on my dress, despite the designer label stuff I often wear.

Oh yes, one incident comes to mind. I wore a pink shirt once to my father in law's church. One of the church elders commented that pink was a homosexual color. But church was his domain of influence and he was old school grew up in the 50's. He probably still idolises Mcarthy and checks under the bed for those dastardly communists.

Anyway, he complained about pants on women, men wearing jeans etc ... I find his views, personally, overly judgemental and archaic, but he probably thinks I am a sinner who turned a saintly man's daughter into a rebelious liberal woman.

18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

HAHA!! the church elder sounds a lot like most of the people i used to work with. :lol:

19. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Male style would be a much poorer place in all kinds of ways if it wasn't for 'fags'... I would just take those kind of ignorant homophobic comments as a complement.

20. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

I've lost 55+ lbs the past 21 mos so you can imagine a major wardrobe overhaul/alteration project.. My style (primarily MC Casual) has not change but rather the fit, aesthetics, details, texture/color combo etc...inspirations courtesy of SF members...
    Definitely positive comments from friends, co-workers and acquaintances. Some double take from strangers, not sure if meh or positive. I guess depending on the area I'm in. A number of times people asking about my shoes,SC brands (mostly women)...sometimes what's the "handkerchief" for?
    At the end of the day, I dress for myself, my family and to show respect by dressing the part...