• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever feel the need to "dial it down a notch" for the ladies?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here has ever walked into a room in hopes of meeting ladies only to find they are wayyyy overdressed.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*EDIT*

So I re-re-read the OP and I do agree that I have felt that way on quite a few occasions. I think this is due to me being 23 and most of the places my friends like to frequent cater to "young people". Meaning College seniors and recent grads who think a polo, jeans, and sketchers are "dressing up".

However on more grown up functions such as expensive dinners and corporate events, I find myself to be only slightly better dressed than the women folk. I am only outmatched on the very rare occasion.

Thankfully the lady I am dating at the moment seems to have a great sense of style.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's happened occasionally. Like I almost feel a bit unapproachable, as if the girl looks and says to herself, "whoa", that's out of my league, or "he's probably taken"...

Then again, I really wouldn't want to be with a girl that
a) didn't dress/care about presenting herself well as much as I do
b) the confidence to not care anyway and meet me just as directly back

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, but that's also worked in my favor.

In a crowd of guys looking like boys in baseball hats, they move towards the one guy who is dressed well. Catches their eye, so to speak.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
well, its easier to dress a man down when you are overdressed than it is for a woman. so i always lean towards overdressed. Take off the coat, tie, rolls sleeves, whatever the scene requires.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We get dressed 3-4 times a week & almost every time (wife's usually in the bathroom mirror when I appear) she let's out a sigh. The "how can I compete with that" sigh.

Not good.

illegalcheeser

Reaction score
my girl tells me she likes hanging on my arm in public. Though, she spent a significant amount of time in Europe where the general level of male attire is higher so she might be biased.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
... I prefer ladies who have a sense of style, so we tend to gravitate towards each other anyway.

Yep.

If someone feels obliged to "dress down" in a way that makes them uncomfortable, then what's the point of that relationship?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Sometimes I remove my pants to let them know I'm willing to compromise on the whole dressing thing. Old ladies in the subway tend to gasp but what do they know about the sartorial arts.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I only dial it down a notch for the boys. As in, the boys who might kick ****** in a dive bar, or my buddies who pester me about why I'm "so dressed up."

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Sometimes I remove my pants to let them know I'm willing to compromise on the whole dressing thing. Old ladies in the subway tend to gasp but what do they know about the sartorial arts.

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
No, but apparently once I was dumped for the way I dress. A Cali surfer/soccer player type in undergrad. At least, that's what she said. Who knows, in truth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads