• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you ever experience hostility because you are well dressed?

clarity

Reaction score
man, back in 2000 i had some pretty awesome ae carpenter jeans

ah
smile.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who aren't friends/family don't really comment on my jeans, and even the comments of my friends/family don't go much beyond asking what they are and how much they cost.

I can think of only one exception, which happened about three months ago. A 40-year old self-described "cougar" flagged me over at a bar and proceeded to tell me that, in her first flush of youth, she would have "hurt [me]... sexually." Any general compliment paid to me by a woman is typically followed by a laundry-list of criticisms, so she then called my jeans "faggoty" and my hair "*****rly" (no, I did not misspell "niggardly".)

Her apparent insanity aside, she wasn't bad at all. A former bikini model, in fact.

mikeman

Reaction score
^I hate when people ask how much I paid for my denim.I usually just say i dont remember,but I am really thinking "i know they cost more than everything your wearing combined".

Kodiak

Reaction score
It's not really hostility, but back in high school I had a girl ask me what size my Nudie Thin Finn's were and when I told her 28, she said she was expecting something like 1 or 2 (girls sizing).

Deluks917

Reaction score
In order to get my KMW's to fit I put them on soaking wet and went running. I've told this story to loads of people and nobody has called me gay yet, though I did get a few looks.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
i get **** from my gf, sister and mom all the time because they seem to think that levis 511s, 514s and APC new standards are girl pants.

514s aren't even slim!

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
I've told this story to loads of people and nobody has called me gay yet

Well then let me be the first!

illegalcheeser

Reaction score
I am treated much better when I am well dressed professionally or when I'm running around campus dealing with something. But personally, I think I am perceived as unapproachable on a person to person basis

thorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illegalcheeser
I am treated much better when I am well dressed professionally or when I'm running around campus dealing with something. But personally, I think I am perceived as unapproachable on a person to person basis

Me too - I think I just look kinda angry all the time - but i really am a pretty nice guy usually
frown.gif

That said I get called gay a lot by jerks wearing pink varsity print t's.

Reaction score
hostility? no,
surprise and interest? usually.

I wear warmup suits all week to work, so on the weekends, I usually dress well, I prefer a suit. Suits in san diego raise questions but also gets you noticed by the ladies which is always helpful. Even in the guys WERE hostile towards me, I don't think I'd care. Many of you lads out there know what I mean when I say that a suit in the mind of its wearer blocks out any and all insults because you already know you look good, and so do they.

haru02

Reaction score
I experience it sometimes. When I am dressed formally, people around me that I don't know or not related will say 'Hey where are you going? To a party or somewhere else?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get somewhat criticized at work just for ironing my shirts, nevermind for wearing something more than the typical uniform of ****** levi's and a golf shirt that all other guys in my buidling wear. What ever happened to the image of the well-dressed college professor??

Patrician

Reaction score
Of course. I get mocked becuase of how I dress all the time. However I could not care less about these people, I'm way above them.

EDIT: Btw, why is this in Streetwear and Denim?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads