• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you ever dine out alone?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At times, if I really want to be left alone and still want to be pampered.. Doesnt feel weird to me..

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to when I travelled on business. Now just when I want a quiet lunch with the paper.

I dont see anything wrong with it depending on the restaurant.

K

Cordwinder

Reaction score
I go for dinner alone often.
I have friends who have dietary restrictions and I like to try new restaurants. Its a pain explaining with the staff what to remove or re-make.

Plus, I like talking to the staff and cook (if possible) about food. Great knowledge to be learnt from listening and asking questions.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do from time to time because I go to school with a bunch of broke-ass kids or people who only want to eat at chain restaurants like Outback. Why the hell would I want to go to Outback Steakhouse? Its shit in the US and its shit here.

On a related note. I recently visited a Portugese restaurant in Azabu-Juban on my way to school. I was alone for the lunch hour. It was quite good, and at a fair price ($15 for cup of soup, bread, pork dish with fresh veggies, Portugese cappucino, and the owner, Christina, gave me a slice of custard cake for free). The Dinner menu looks quite good (much more expensive) and I plan to visit there again soon. Hopefully in the company of a lovely young woman.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Do you ever dine out alone? Is it weird to dine out alone?

Sure, especially when I travel. It's often my preference.

X-It

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I go often for dinner alone. I don't mind dining alone but it is always nice to have one or two good friends go with me and have dinner together though.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often, but then again, only when I am out of town on business. I don't mind it at all, and its actually nice, no pressure to keep up a conversation.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Used to when I travelled on business. Now just when I want a quiet lunch with the paper.

I dont see anything wrong with it depending on the restaurant.

K

+1. Definitely during travel, and at home these days when I want some quiet time over breakfast on a weekend.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I eat out alone on occasion. It really only happens when I want to eat out during the week and my co-workers brought lunch of have other plans. I actually like it when the place is decent, not crowded and I have a paper or magazine to read.

spoiledone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Often, but then again, only when I am out of town on business. I don't mind it at all, and its actually nice, no pressure to keep up a conversation.

+1 - mostly when I travel for business but it is a nice change.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This topic seems to come up every six months or so.

I think any of us that have done travel for business have dined alone, and it can be very relaxing. I also have had some of my most relaxing meals alone. Sometimes, if my wife has a conference, I'll tag along and play "lazy corporate spouse," a role I greatly enjoy. Nothing like a 2.5 hour lunch, with wine, when you have no where to go, nothing to get back to, and the scenery is nice to look at.

JohnRov

Reaction score
I do when I travel. I usually look for places that have bar dining. Sometimes this ends up being a partial menu, sometimes it's full.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 116 15.8%
  • 31 - 40