• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?

cutch

Reaction score
well personallyi love to drive manually..an automatic takes all the pleasure out of driving..
but if that doesn't interrest you..and your just in to beeing luxurious and lazy..than an automatic is the car for you..

cutch

Reaction score
but if you live in a crowded metropolitan area, i can really understand someone who chooses far an automatic..

I can already see a manual car beeing 10years old only beeing drivin in the metropolitan area..and only the first 2 gears are used..and the rest is still brand spankin new..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ True. I never owned an automatic until I had been living in Atlanta a few months. Nothing kills the desire for a manual transmission like a couple hours a day of stop and go traffic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
^ True. I never owned an automatic until I had been living in Atlanta a few months. Nothing kills the desire for a manual transmission like a couple hours a day of stop and go traffic.

Damn... get a condo downtown or something. That's brutal.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
This is why I drive an automatic.

Originally Posted by whodini
Yeah, try LA.

I've driven in both Miami & LA...brutal. I survive with a stick here in Chicago because get around easily on the train. I rarely put on more than 8000 miles a year on my car. If I lived in the 'burbs, I'd never be able to make it with a manual.

MsMcGillicuddy

Reaction score
I learned on an automatic and would likely buy an automatic, as the next place I plan to live that would have me owning a car has a lot of hills.

I would love to learn to drive stick, but I don't want to destroy the transmissions of the cars of any of my friends who have offered to teach me, and private driving lessons are a bit of a luxury I can't afford at the moment.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Damn... get a condo downtown or something. That's brutal.

I chose the next best thing, I moved out of Atlanta altogether..
laugh.gif

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Auto. Have never seen the appeal of a manual. With autos at the level they are at it seems like people do it just for the sake of doing it than for any real gain. It used to be the case that manual transmissions were more accurate and gave better mpg but the best auto systems rival or beat comparable manuals.

Why make something more complicated and labor intensive when you don't have to? For those that need something to do on the road get a language book on cd or something.

I've also noticed that manual owners are much more vocal about their position, like it is a badge of honor, even when they comprise a minute amount of the market. Is it supposed to make everyone feel more masculine?

For Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Auto. Have never seen the appeal of a manual. With autos at the level they are at it seems like people do it just for the sake of doing it than for any real gain. It used to be the case that manual transmissions were more accurate and gave better mpg but the best auto systems rival or beat comparable manuals.

Why make something more complicated and labor intensive when you don't have to? For those that need something to do on the road get a language book on cd or something.

I've also noticed that manual owners are much more vocal about their position, like it is a badge of honor, even when they comprise a minute amount of the market. Is it supposed to make everyone feel more masculine?

For all practical purposes autos are basically better. Of course autos is a very broad term which for argument sakes covers any box that changes ratios and handles clutching for the driver.

That said I just like manuals better. I think in part manual owners are more vocal because it's harder and harder for us to find what we love.

I'm sure there is some shoe or shirt analogies in here somewhere.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
My friends who drive manuals do so because they're neurotic and cheap, not because they enjoy driving.

I would love to have a manual on a fun car, but not on a primary car. Having my own personal fleet of cars is not a priority right now, so I've got 5AT on 08 G35 sedan. It's plenty fast with the slushbox.

Prince

Reaction score
Drive a manual myself, but have driven a lot in my dad's car which has an auto. Manual is more fun yes, but in daily busy traffic an auto gearbox is so much more relaxing. I get really tired of the stop and go traffic sometimes and then I would prefer an auto.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you plan on keeping your car for a while, manuals are generally more reliable and serviceable than automatics.

They also get better gas mileage, and are lighter than autos.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads