1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TheFusilliJerry, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Dunno man, there's an awful lot you can do with a "standard manual" that you can't do with SMG/DKG/etc.

Such as...???

I recognize some of the fun of launch is lost, and maybe if you powershift you can do pretty well, but the new dual-clutch trannies are lightning fast and only getting better.

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I don't know, my driver takes care of all that gear-shifting.

3. eqpablon

eqpablon Senior member

I should be allowed to vote twice since both my cars are stick shift [​IMG]

4. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

Started with auto-trans. That's what the driver's ed cars had in them, so that's what I learned. Drove automatics for a long time. Got into riding motorcycles which introduced me to gear shifting. Made the jump to manual. Have driven stick exclusively now for about 10 years. If I ever got a job that required me to do a lot of driving, I'd switch back to automatic in a heartbeat. Chicago stop & go traffic is not fun. Chicago suburban traffic is even worse.

5. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Manual.

Any car I own will have to be stick.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Chicago stop & go traffic is not fun. Chicago suburban traffic is even worse.
    I usually drive my automatic to Chicago for this very reason. I've driven the manual a few times, but it wasn't fun at all.

7. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Manual, but only because I have always lived in the boondocks with very little traffic. Big city or suburbia would definitely require an automatic

8. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

Manual, but only because I have always lived in the boondocks with very little traffic. Big city or suburbia would definitely require an automatic

False.

9. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

Too hard to text driving stick

10. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Dunno man, there's an awful lot you can do with a "standard manual" that you can't do with SMG/DKG/etc.

BMW 330i manual here.

Other than start the car with a dead battery (by rolling down a hill or getting a tow start) I can't think of one helpful advantage an H-pattern manual has over a sequential manual. Unless skipping gears is that important?

11. office drone

office drone Senior member

Manual. It's like a video game! I find manual keeps me engaged while driving. Works well when driving home late at night and you have trouble fighting the effects of a few drinks, or if you're dead tired. When driving an auto, I can get passive (as one poster says), which means sometimes losing concentration and stopping short, etc..

I think, though, that if I ever start a family and get an SUV, I'd probably get lazy and get an auto. Also auto would be more practical for a big car, no?

12. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

its more fun to drive stick. plus i feel you have more control over it.

13. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Need you ask? Manual, of course.

14. xpress

xpress Senior member

Manual sports car

Automatic luxury saloon...

Best of both worlds I guess!

15. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

It's annoying having a manual because I'm the only one I trust to drive it. Eating in the car with a manual is always interesting too. My manual Impreza sure is fun though. Next car will be a sport shift.

16. Threak

Threak Senior member

I don't know, my driver takes care of all that gear-shifting.

Now that you mention it, I don't know if city buses are manual or automatic either.

17. bsherman100

bsherman100 Active Member

auto, so tired of manuals in the city

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Miami stop & go traffic is not fun. Miami suburban traffic is even worse.
    This is why I drive an automatic.

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

Chicago stop & go traffic is not fun. Chicago suburban traffic is even worse.
    Yeah, try LA. I learned on both transmissions as my father was a die-hard manual for all the reason previously given while my mother just wanted a go-kart. Driving manual was fun in Jeeps/SUVs up in the mountains but I went automatic when I got my car because 1) of the amount of time I knew I'd be sitting in traffic and 2) I never wanted sometime as simple as the type of transmission getting in the way in case family or friends needed to drive. I know the latter doesn't sound plausible but during and since college there are remarkably few excuses from friends who can't be the DD for me either planned or otherwise. An automatic has paid in dividends.

20. Hennessy

Hennessy Active Member

I learned to drive manual, but I prefer automatic and is what I use most of the time.