Do you drive a Manual or Automatic Car?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by TheFusilliJerry, Jul 20, 2009.

1. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

Does your car have a manual transmission or automatic?

Me, I learned to drive on a manual(04 civic si) and I still do. When I buy my next car it will be automatic as well. Not a fan of automatics, and really not a fan of 'manumatic' mode on an automatic car.

2. kontai69

kontai69 Senior member

I also learned to drive in a manual transmission car. It actually was my dad's Porsche 944 back in the early 80's. I find driving an auto trans car to be too passive. My current car has a 5-speed manual.

3. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've always refused to learn how to drive a manual. That way, I've never been tempted to buy a really expensive car.

Now that I'm older, though, perhaps the exercise would ward off Alzheimer's for another few weeks.

4. TrojanGarb

TrojanGarb Senior member

Learned on a manual and can't go back. I think I'll always have a manual... so much more control. Perhaps a secondary land yacht can be an automatic, just for leisurely cruising.

5. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

I also learned to drive in a manual transmission car. It actually was my dad's Porsche 944 back in the early 80's. I find driving an auto trans car to be too passive. My current car has a 5-speed manual.

this. my dad always says that with an automatic, your 'guiding' the car not driving it. he's very stoic in his ways. I also am a manual loyalist, my current and only being a 5spd. I also have a particular distaste for 'manumatic' mode on some auto cars. It doesn't count as manual if the car is still shifting the gears, blipping the throttle, matching rpms, and if need be, actually shifting for you. Though when they are paddle-mounted its kinda cool i guess.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Both my cars are Jeep Wranglers with manuals.

7. bertie

bertie Senior member

Manual Jeep (hoping for a manual 911 after mortgage is gone and kid are through college)

8. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Manual here. My first car was an automatic though. I hate it when people think they drive a manual when the car is actually "manumatic".

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

don't have a car now, Vietnam makes that kind of unappealing, but back home, all the cars i had owned had been manual.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Both.

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

i drive auto. I like big luxury cars like the lexus gs or 5series. If i ever got the chance to get an m5 id get it stick (if they have it..??)

12. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

I find driving an auto trans car to be too passive.
    I learned on a stick. The only auto I will be driving is the great grandfathers 76 Dart......360 bored and stroked to a 410.....shouldn't be to passive. Hopefully it will be done this year.

13. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I started on an Auto but progressed to 4-Speed then a couple of 5-Speeds and for a short while a 6-Speed manual. I hate the feel of the "Auto Sticks." Though the auto clutching manual on the MK3 MR2 had an interesting feel, just like a real manual in its reaction, but faster.
    Now I dont have a car, but the next one will, for sure, be a manual.

14. Sherman90

Sherman90 Senior member

15. Asterix

Asterix Senior member

Manual in my teenage through mid 20s but currently automatics and still dreaming/looking forward to owning a V12 Manual.