• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you download pirated music?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
7,563
Reaction score
302
^ Well first of all I don't download music illegally, in fact I spend a not insignificant sum of money on it. I'm just selective in the labels and artists that I support.

Same thing goes for fashion, I buy almost exclusively from brands I respect, brands that utilize ethical, high-end manufacturing. I don't like the associations and ethos of Hugo Boss so I don't buy it. Am I ok with my money going to Rick Owen's lavish lifestyle? absolutely. Am I ok with my money supporting a record company executive whose business practices and ethos I find repugnant? nope.

With violently arrogant and anti-consumer policies the recording industry brought this upon themselves.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,831
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by gdl203
Oh the irony of the wannabe artist who doesn't believe in protecting other artists' rights to get paid for their work...

I don't expect to make a lot of money the traditional way if I ever go into writing. I am fully cognizant of the fact that the business is changing, although less quickly than the music industry. People, artists, and businesses have to evolve or submit to those who are willing to.
 

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2006
Messages
3,279
Reaction score
433
I really miss Oink. Have any adequate replacements sprung up over the last 2 years that offer quality rips/encodes (EAC + v0) and have a good selection of obsure artists?
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,831
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I really miss Oink. Have any adequate replacements sprung up over the last 2 years that offer quality rips/encodes (EAC + v0) and have a good selection of obsure artists?
Waffles (Oink replica) & Demonoid (more general, but easy ratio maintenance and less pretentious).
 

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
159
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I disagree. Industries always find a way to bounce back. It's the nature of free markets and capitalism. It will take creativity on the part of the industries themselves to survive. Fighting the inevitable is rather Sisyphusian.
Where's the nature of free markets when you produce a good with a really high demand for and everyone steals it because he's not willing to pay anything for it? That's like saying if everyone steals gasoline like sometimes people try in Africa/the East, the oil companies have to find a way to change that because what the people do is OK? It's the same with software. I know a lot of people who work in IT companies producing software, they work there. What gets them paid if everyone pirates the software on the internet? It's not less stealing just because there is no physical theft involved. Just because people think it's OK to steal music/movies/software it doesn't make it OK.
Also in response to your first paragraph, no one is saying they want to enrich the fat cats in the fashion biz. It's just that it is a) a lot more difficult to shoplift than downloand, b) a completely different scale of "theft" - $1000s compared to $13, and c) the social taboo against shoplifting is much higher than against downloading music.
You b) is wrong. I'm quite sure the damage done by stealing 13$ music CDs each year is a lot higher than the damage done by stolen 1000 $ sport coats. The mass is the problem.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,831
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Where's the nature of free markets when you produce a good with a really high demand for and everyone steals it because he's not willing to pay anything for it? That's like saying if everyone steals gasoline like sometimes people try in Africa/the East, the oil companies have to find a way to change that because what the people do is OK? It's the same with software. I know a lot of people who work in IT companies producing software, they work there. What gets them paid if everyone pirates the software on the internet? It's not less stealing just because there is no physical theft involved. Just because people think it's OK to steal music/movies/software it doesn't make it OK.

You b) is wrong. I'm quite sure the damage done by stealing 13$ music CDs each year is a lot higher than the damage done by stolen 1000 $ sport coats. The mass is the problem.


I don't want to get into a discussion of the nature of humanity and morals - but in reality everything is okay and nothing is okay. There is no standard definition of morality. Society and culture create one code of ethics, but it is not a code that is inherent in the world. Animals will kill each others' offspring, steal each others' mates, etc. etc. It is society that creates a moral code - and this is another discussion altogether.

My point is - it may not be OK by our culture's standards to steal music. But that is where you are wrong. So many people are doing it that it has become culturally "okay". Not necessarily something to be promoted, but not something to be shunned. Let's be practical - if I tell a random person on the street that I enjoy shoplifting $2000 suits on a weekly basis, they would treat me as a pariah. If I told them I download 10 MP3s for free every month, they wouldn't blink an eyelash (if they don't work for the RIAA). That is just the way it is. Theoretically ethical or not, it has become accepted. Kind of like sex before marriage - if a chick was caught doing that back in the puritanical days (see The Scarlet Letter), it was a travesty. Today, not so much. Ethics are always changing. Just because you worship capitalism instead of chastity does not make it inherently correct.

Everyone has to make the decision for themself as a member of society. Which degree of transgression are you willing to go to, and which consequences are you willing to suffer? I personally choose to download an album here and there, knowing the consequences are NOTHING. I do not choose to steal suits, because I know the consequences could be dire. Beyond that, it would make me feel dirty. "But, but, that's a contradiction! How can one form of theft make you feel dirty and not another? You are not being logical!" you cry out. I'll tell you why. Because as I mentioned above, society does not frown upon one as much as the other. That's why. Call me immoral, get flustered and angry if you want. But that's how it is.
 

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
2,656
Reaction score
1
If people get tired of having their music stolen, then they can stop offering it. There will be thousands of talented people who just want to have their music reach people to take their place and offer their music for free. There are already thousands of talented people offering their music for free. Music is like love, in my opinion. It has no inherent monetary value.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,831
Reaction score
31
I hope all of you guys purchase your pornography as well.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,316
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I hope all of you guys purchase your pornography as well.

I have, and continue to do so, when the mood strikes. So there.

I'll say this about downloading/buying music: If a performer or artist makes something that appeals to me, and I get enjoyment from it - I see it as my duty to support their efforts.
 

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
15,831
Reaction score
31
Originally Posted by Thomas
I have, and continue to do so, when the mood strikes. So there.

I'll say this about downloading/buying music: If a performer or artist makes something that appeals to me, and I get enjoyment from it - I see it as my duty to support their efforts.


Goddammit Thomas. I'm going to turn a blind eye to your good morals and extend the same question to the others in this thread.
 

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
2,656
Reaction score
1
Not only do I purchase all my pornography, but I research each starlet to ensure that the circumstances of her films are morally admissible and that she does it because she truly enjoys it.
 

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
675
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I hope all of you guys purchase your pornography as well.

¿ɥnɥ
 

clarity

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
556
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Tck13
I really get annoyed when people find out I just bought a CD and they want to borrow it to copy it...


Ask to copy one of theirs. Unless they are a total bum.
 

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,115
Reaction score
137
yes and also purchase or download movies, purchase stolen goods and generally support the black market when it suits me.
 

StylishToday

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
I personally use Spotify Premium but sometimes I listen to mix tunes on Youtube and when I like them a lot, I download them with https://www.tube2mp3.com/. Is it considered illegal downloading music mixes by djs when you cannot buy them anywhere? What's your opinion?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

  • Tassel loafers

  • Penny loafers

  • Horsebit loafers

  • Kiltie loafers

  • I hate loafers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
424,099
Messages
9,090,456
Members
191,222
Latest member
Morgan75

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top