1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you cuff your jeans?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jekyll, Mar 25, 2009.

1. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

to the cuff gurus of SF, I'm not much of a cuff or stack guy but I just got these Nudies and since im 5'9 the 34 inseams look too weird stacked so I decided to do a cuff.

what do you gurus think

bigger cuff, smaller cuff?

I want to get them hemmed to 32 inseam or should I keep the 34 inseam given my height?

flip up the hem and stack

I agree. Those jeans look like they have a small leg opening, and I've always thought that cuffs look good mainly on larger leg openings. I'd let them stack, and if it's too long for you to do that, hem some of the extra length off.

2. julius12

julius12 Active Member

99% of the time cuffing jeans looks retarded. 100% of the time from pics i've seen on SF.

I created an account just to say I agree with this. It sometimes works with skinny guys, but all the trying hard fashionistas/sheep are doing it now and you all look like idiots. It looks dorky and/or effeminate.

3. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

is this in reply to me? if so I think I would need to get them hemmed to 32
    no that's just what i do but i wouldn't cuff when the hem is as wide as yours though

4. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

no that's just what i do but i wouldn't cuff when the hem is as wide as yours though

the hem or do you mean the leg opening? the leg opening is 7.5 on these. These Grim Tims are tapered...

5. commodorewheeler

the hem or do you mean the leg opening? the leg opening is 7.5 on these. These Grim Tims are tapered...

Yes, he is saying that the leg opening is too narrow to look good with a cuff. I agree with him.

6. dasai

dasai Senior member

With a new pair of jeans, I roll them up until they stretch out fully, then take them and the receipt back to the store and get them hemmed for free, leaving them down or cuffing them depending on my mood and what shoes I'm wearing.

Though I've only been doing this for the past month and a half or so, with my current pair of jeans. [​IMG]

7. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

Yes, he is saying that the leg opening is too narrow to look good with a cuff. I agree with him.

what would be an ideal leg opening for a cuff?

8. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Depends on the fit.

For my slimmer fits I let em stack.

For my baggier fits I do a single or double cuff.

9. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

it really depends on the cut. some cuts like the sda-103 look best, imo, with a i/2 cuff but worn with a 1-1.5" higher inseam then what you would normally wear. does that make sense?

but then your have slim/straight cuts like the samurai 710 that look well with a little stacking because of the narrow hem. it really just depends on the cut of the jean and how you want to wear them. experiment ...

10. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Right here.

Shouldn't you be rockin' mad stax?

I created an account just to say I agree with this. It sometimes works with skinny guys, but all the trying hard fashionistas/sheep are doing it now and you all look like idiots. It looks dorky and/or effeminate.

Dunno, the guy from Self Edge that's in their fit pics always rocks cuffs, and I'd go so far as to say that they look decent on him.

These days it seems like tons of people cuff (at least in Philly), but wearing the same pre-faded, non-selvage, mall brand jeans they always wear.

11. commodorewheeler

what would be an ideal leg opening for a cuff?

There's no absolute measurement for this, because it depends in part on what size the jeans are. I can say that for a pair with a 34" waist measurement, I personally wouldn't cuff anything with a leg opening less than 8.5" wide.

Dunno, the guy from Self Edge that's in their fit pics always rocks cuffs, and I'd go so far as to say that they look decent on him.

Sidney's got a unique, extraordinarily thin build where he can make almost every style and cut of jeans fit him pretty much the same. I don't think I would use him as a yardstick for how jeans will look on the average person.

12. UrbanAesthetics

UrbanAesthetics Senior member

13. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

14. jron757

jron757 Member

The only time i cuff my pants is when i wear my chuck taylors .

15. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Cuff?

Pleeeeez biotch...

16. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

IMO double cuffs on an adult looks juvenile (after all, the reason those old pics show kids with big/double cuffs is so they can "grow into them."). I'm OK with small single cuffs IF the shoe warrants it. (heel heights/shoe volume vary so jeans that fit with, say, boat shoes are gonna bunch up around heavy boots).

Shorter people should follow the MC rule: cuffs visibly shorten your legs. That is all.

I'll make an exception for people into rockabilly and other specific looks.

What I aim for: slight stack with flat sole sneaks. I'll do a 1.5" cuff if need be.

17. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

Shorter people should follow the MC rule: cuffs visibly shorten your legs. That is all.

Only if the inseam is already short as is would a cuff shorten a short guy's legs.

I'm 5'7, rock a single 1" cuff, and it looks perfect.

Stacks should be a no-go for short people, imo.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Well-Known Member

I always thought double cuffing looked a lot better than single. I sometimes see double cuffs that look nice with chunkier boots; it can create a clean, visually appealing transition. Single, to me, just looks hurried and sloppy. Rather it be hemmed in that case. Plus I have seen a few too many people lately single cuffing their levi baggy fit jeans, with like, new balance sneakers or something.

But personally, I'm in love with stacking for the time being.

I also cuff my foreskin.

Unfortunately mine was hemmed against my will. I consider this practice to be a violation of human rights.

19. MaxK

MaxK Senior member

Only if the inseam is already short as is would a cuff shorten a short guy's legs.

I'm 5'7, rock a single 1" cuff, and it looks perfect.

Stacks should be a no-go for short people, imo.

+1 for cuffs for short guys. I'm 5'7" as well, and I cuff my jeans as well as my suits. Pants puddling around you leg are no good for short guys, so proper length cuffless or small cuffs for trousers are fine. Jeans are casual, so wearing them cuffed with heavier shoes works really well in my book. I find something kind of fussy about perfectly hemmed jeans.

20. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

I cuff all of my jeans/non-formal pants. It's become a habit.

Well, that, and the fact that perfectly hemmed jeans look really off to me personally.