Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you cuff your jeans?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jekyll, Mar 25, 2009.

1. DLester

DLester Senior member

I cuff 90% of the time. Few people around here (Seattle) do it. It amazes me how much attention it draws.

2. snake

snake Senior member

I stack more often than I cuff. Used to be the exact opposite a year ago.

3. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I brought this thread back from the dead for a reason: my father has been quite disturbed by my cuffing of jeans lately. He is a boomer (he's 57), and acts as if it is effeminate (I did not ask him outright as to why he disapproved, but I am pretty sure this is why; he's blue-collar, sloppy overweight baby boomer to a T). It was great, because my mother commented on my jeans being very retro ("are those Levi's? They look like the ones we wore in the 70s" [they are Levi's 505]). It was awesome, because I could tell she was flashing back when she commented - one of those moments of fine reminiscence.

Before opening a new thread, I'll ask here: what is the history of jean cuffing? Any info would be nice, as google search garnered no solid info.

4. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Prior to Sanforization, jeans were all sold Shrink to Fit. Despite this, people would not soak them initialyl but rather wear them in their raw state. They have yet to shrink and thus the jeans were too long, and cuffing would be done so they could be worn at the correct length prior to a wash/soak. Shrinking of the denim would also not be entirely complete until several washes and thus cuffing would be done until they shrunk to the correct size.

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I cuff a few pairs of my jeans, but not all. It is mostly the Selvage jeans that get cuffed, since I do not want to mess with getting them hemmed.

6. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I'll cuff or roll for convenience indoors - would not like to be seen in public with a cuff, doesn't look right to me. I think of it as a very American, retro way to wear jeans.

7. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

I buy them at the right size, or hem if needed. Hasn't been a problem yet even with selvage. By "right size", I don't mean MC, formal attire standards with no break or anything, just that I don't intentionally go for any stacking or necessary cuffing. That said, my black Ande Whalls have 80% of their wear on the back of the left hem...maybe I'm a lopsided freak.

8. ma1

ma1 Senior member

I'll cuff or roll for convenience indoors - would not like to be seen in public with a cuff, doesn't look right to me. I think of it as a very American, retro way to wear jeans.

same, cuff inside, uncuff when i go out

9. cldpsu

cldpsu Senior member

The only time I can wear a jean uncuffed is if it's narrow and stacked. I've worn my jeans cuffed for so long now that anything else usually seems off. It's bizarre how that works.

10. berlin report

berlin report Senior member

I always double cuff with straight leg jeans. I stack my pair of slim fits.

This.

11. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Senior member

I hem. Cuffing and stacking just don't go well with my look and body type.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

13. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

I cuff, hem, stack, and jort.

Depends on how long they are, state of sanforization, shoes, selvedge-ness, planetary alignment etc;

14. FatMod

FatMod Senior member

single cuff with good footwear, it's amuch sharper look imo. Not a fan of stacked denim, looks like they are the wrong size & scruffy.

15. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Senior member

Normally I just buy jeans that don't need cuffed. I don't have any superpremium denim that only comes with really long inseams. The only jeans i ever cuff are a pair that I use principly for riding around on my motorcycle and so got a few inches longer in the inseam so they won't come up over the top of my boots when I'm riding. When I'm just walking around in them, I tend to cuff them.