• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you consider frat kids fashionable?

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
so i was wondering, since my school is quite the frat school, and i see how they dress, on a scale from 1-10, do you guys consider them fashionable? it seems to me like some of the stuff actually looks good on them

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I guess you expect them to wear the stuff. But most of it looks sloppy... Most will have beer bellies soon enough, and their tight polo's and baggy kaki cargo shorts won't fit anymore. Of course with mom and dad paying for everything, they'll just run over to the Gap/AE/Holister/Aeropostale and buy a whole new wardrobe every month. I mean how else are they gonna get into to that sorority chicks pants..

It's not up to style forums standards of dress....

eddiecibrian

Reaction score
the frat kids these days.... at least at my school, seems to be sporting the country club, polo, the rich casual look, or probably just whatever their dads/ older brothers wore...etc, they seem to stay away from skinny jeans or anything metro
where they may fail is the brightness of color to everything, and what are those shoes they all wear with no socks called? sperrys?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many frat boys wear Abercrombie/Hollister t-shirts. I have also noticed that the gay dudes in the gay part of town wear the same. Since it's a well-known fact that most fashion designers are homosexual we can only conclude that frat guys are extremely fashionable.
teacha.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I caught myself admiring (no ****) the Ambercrombie summer look on a few frat guys in a local bar. Basically, a muscle-fit graphic t-shirt washed to the color of dryer lint, light washed straight leg jeans, and sneakers. If you have the physique to pull it off, it's really not a bad look at all. It probably woudn't get you too far in WAYWT, though.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
As a frat boy i'm a little offended. Down south, while they may not be total igents, they are many steps above the abercrombie gain. We pretty much spit on hollister up here. Although in a lot of cases, mom and dad are paying for everything, they're paying for vineyard vines, brooks brothers, Polo, southern proper, Southern tide, bills khakis, wayfarer sunglasses, croakies, orvis, sperrys, north face, patangonia, etc.

OCBD's, slightly short shorts of various colors, chinos of various colors, surcingles, I consider the casual dress here quite MC approved, if not SWD approved.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Yeah, I caught myself admiring (no ****) the Ambercrombie summer look on a few frat guys in a local bar. Basically, a muscle-fit graphic t-shirt washed to the color of dryer lint, light washed straight leg jeans, and sneakers. If you have the physique to pull it off, it's really not a bad look at all. It probably woudn't get you too far in WAYWT, though.

As long as the sneakers are CP/Lanvin, sounds like it'd fit right in SW&D WAYWT

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
As a frat boy i'm a little offended. Down south, while they may not be total igents, they are many steps above the abercrombie gain. We pretty much spit on hollister up here. Although in a lot of cases, mom and dad are paying for everything, they're paying for vineyard vines, brooks brothers, Polo, southern proper, Southern tide, bills khakis, wayfarer sunglasses, croakies, orvis, sperrys, north face, patangonia, etc. OCBD's, slightly short shorts of various colors, chinos of various colors, surcingles, I consider the casual dress here quite MC approved, if not SWD approved.
I agree, it depends on where these fratters go to school. Ole Miss or similar, I'd say yes compared to the average kid's sweatpants and flip flops attire. They dress up to class and football games on a regular basis. Strictly in the prep / trad sense of fashion. But there is a difference between fratty and trad that is crossed many times.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Many frat boys wear Abercrombie/Hollister t-shirts. I have also noticed that the gay dudes in the gay part of town wear the same. Since it's a well-known fact that most fashion designers are homosexual we can only conclude that frat guys are extremely fashionable.
teacha.gif

This is worded like an LSAT question.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It depends entirely on the school. Where I went to undergrad, the frat guys wore the same t-shirt/pants combo that everyone else did, they just usually wore t-shirts related to the frat or some sorority mixer they had gone to. Now I'm down in the South, and the frat attire is completely different (summarized by someone above). I don't generally find them "fashionable" because it's a damn uniform for most, no thought or free will involved. They look ok, but there's a soullessness about it, like they're going to get kicked out if they wear the wrong brand or a flatfront khakis. The ones who do things a little different can be fun. People not from the South might think I dress "fratty" from time to time, but no one down here would make that mistake.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
do the frat kids basically grow up to be the trad adults?

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Where I went to university the frat dudes looked exactly like 95% of the rest of the dudes on campus: baggy cargo shorts (too big baggy jeans with the back of the leg frayed from dragging the ground if it was cold), a pub crawl or Affliction t-shirt, and flip flops or some sort of New Balance or Nike running shoe. The only real differentiation came from the cheap baseball caps with their frat letters.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
do the frat kids basically grow up to be the trad adults?

It appears the uniform is largely consigned to the country club upon graduation.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol. I don't think even frat guys consider frat guys fashionable

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics