• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

do you consider frat kids fashionable?

eddiecibrian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
so i was wondering, since my school is quite the frat school, and i see how they dress, on a scale from 1-10, do you guys consider them fashionable? it seems to me like some of the stuff actually looks good on them
 

TylerDurden

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
I guess you expect them to wear the stuff. But most of it looks sloppy... Most will have beer bellies soon enough, and their tight polo's and baggy kaki cargo shorts won't fit anymore. Of course with mom and dad paying for everything, they'll just run over to the Gap/AE/Holister/Aeropostale and buy a whole new wardrobe every month. I mean how else are they gonna get into to that sorority chicks pants..

It's not up to style forums standards of dress....
 

eddiecibrian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
the frat kids these days.... at least at my school, seems to be sporting the country club, polo, the rich casual look, or probably just whatever their dads/ older brothers wore...etc, they seem to stay away from skinny jeans or anything metro
where they may fail is the brightness of color to everything, and what are those shoes they all wear with no socks called? sperrys?
 

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
43
Many frat boys wear Abercrombie/Hollister t-shirts. I have also noticed that the gay dudes in the gay part of town wear the same. Since it's a well-known fact that most fashion designers are homosexual we can only conclude that frat guys are extremely fashionable.
 

tagutcow

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 29, 2006
Messages
10,617
Reaction score
682
Yeah, I caught myself admiring (no homo) the Ambercrombie summer look on a few frat guys in a local bar. Basically, a muscle-fit graphic t-shirt washed to the color of dryer lint, light washed straight leg jeans, and sneakers. If you have the physique to pull it off, it's really not a bad look at all. It probably woudn't get you too far in WAYWT, though.
 

Another New Yorker

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
551
Reaction score
6
As a frat boy i'm a little offended. Down south, while they may not be total igents, they are many steps above the abercrombie gain. We pretty much spit on hollister up here. Although in a lot of cases, mom and dad are paying for everything, they're paying for vineyard vines, brooks brothers, Polo, southern proper, Southern tide, bills khakis, wayfarer sunglasses, croakies, orvis, sperrys, north face, patangonia, etc.

OCBD's, slightly short shorts of various colors, chinos of various colors, surcingles, I consider the casual dress here quite MC approved, if not SWD approved.
 

Macallan9

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
788
Reaction score
4
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Yeah, I caught myself admiring (no homo) the Ambercrombie summer look on a few frat guys in a local bar. Basically, a muscle-fit graphic t-shirt washed to the color of dryer lint, light washed straight leg jeans, and sneakers. If you have the physique to pull it off, it's really not a bad look at all. It probably woudn't get you too far in WAYWT, though.

As long as the sneakers are CP/Lanvin, sounds like it'd fit right in SW&D WAYWT
 

inq89

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
463
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
As a frat boy i'm a little offended. Down south, while they may not be total igents, they are many steps above the abercrombie gain. We pretty much spit on hollister up here. Although in a lot of cases, mom and dad are paying for everything, they're paying for vineyard vines, brooks brothers, Polo, southern proper, Southern tide, bills khakis, wayfarer sunglasses, croakies, orvis, sperrys, north face, patangonia, etc. OCBD's, slightly short shorts of various colors, chinos of various colors, surcingles, I consider the casual dress here quite MC approved, if not SWD approved.
I agree, it depends on where these fratters go to school. Ole Miss or similar, I'd say yes compared to the average kid's sweatpants and flip flops attire. They dress up to class and football games on a regular basis. Strictly in the prep / trad sense of fashion. But there is a difference between fratty and trad that is crossed many times.
 

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
5,364
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by dtmt
Many frat boys wear Abercrombie/Hollister t-shirts. I have also noticed that the gay dudes in the gay part of town wear the same. Since it's a well-known fact that most fashion designers are homosexual we can only conclude that frat guys are extremely fashionable.


This is worded like an LSAT question.
 

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
15,703
Reaction score
11,316
It depends entirely on the school. Where I went to undergrad, the frat guys wore the same t-shirt/pants combo that everyone else did, they just usually wore t-shirts related to the frat or some sorority mixer they had gone to. Now I'm down in the South, and the frat attire is completely different (summarized by someone above). I don't generally find them "fashionable" because it's a damn uniform for most, no thought or free will involved. They look ok, but there's a soullessness about it, like they're going to get kicked out if they wear the wrong brand or a flatfront khakis. The ones who do things a little different can be fun. People not from the South might think I dress "fratty" from time to time, but no one down here would make that mistake.
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,507
Reaction score
1,246
do the frat kids basically grow up to be the trad adults?
 

Steve Thomas

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
261
Reaction score
1
Where I went to university the frat dudes looked exactly like 95% of the rest of the dudes on campus: baggy cargo shorts (too big baggy jeans with the back of the leg frayed from dragging the ground if it was cold), a pub crawl or Affliction t-shirt, and flip flops or some sort of New Balance or Nike running shoe. The only real differentiation came from the cheap baseball caps with their frat letters.
 

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
15,703
Reaction score
11,316
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
do the frat kids basically grow up to be the trad adults?

It appears the uniform is largely consigned to the country club upon graduation.
 

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
20,431
Reaction score
9,089
Lol. I don't think even frat guys consider frat guys fashionable
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,642
Messages
9,454,728
Members
198,152
Latest member
ja55mon
Top