Do you care how your coworkers dress? Does the decline of formality of dress bother you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Feb 28, 2013.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

My peers dress well and I require my staff to dress nicely. I don't care about how anyone else dresses.

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

No, my co-workers' clothes don't bother me at all. In real life, unless it's an attractive woman, I barely even notice what other people are wearing. Dozens of things cross my mind before clothes and judging people based on clothes, but I'm sure that some members here feel differently.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

3. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

wow, this thread incited 48 posts in 5 hours!

Being a salesman myself, I've learned to never judge a person by the clothes they wear, not even my colleagues. In the past 20 years, North America really celebrated normalcy and casualness from dumbing down language to casual everydays and I recognise that certain people value things differently and clothing may be the bottom of the list for some. As my mother says, being current and clean is the most important.

With the current trend for colour socks in recent years, I've noticed guys in my office wearing black-base with big colour pokka dot socks whilst wearing suit and tie and that irks as I see it's too childish. (may be they may think it's stylish, what were they thinking?!?) However their style choice doesn't affect my judgement and relationship with them. It's his priority and taste.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Nowhere did I say that employees would vote for a more formal dress code or love the idea. I did not even say that some environments would certainly benefit from a more formal dress code. I simply said that it may make more sense in some environments, particularly more conservative ones, than others, and that I could see how it could be beneficial in a more conservative culture. You seem to concede this point partially with respect to law firms. The idea that more formal dress could have benefits in the workplace is not a mentality that is limited to those on a style or fashion forum. That's just an absurd generalization.

Ties are not going to break the bank and most people do not wear their jackets during the day anyways, so they could get away with slacks, dress shirt and tie. Buying a suit to have in the office in case you have a client meeting and another suit at home isn't going to break the bank for accountants either. Neither is wearing nicer dress pants instead of chinos. I had to wear a suit everyday my first job out of undergrad and I made it work.

Some may prefer jeans and a t-shirt in the office, but there are a lot of potential explanations for this that don't suggest a more formal environment would be a bad thing. Frankly, at some point growing up means not wearing the same things you wore when you were 16. Casual attire has its place, but the office is not the same as your house or your local dive bar.

5. The Style Q

The Style Q New Member

I've always tried to dress as well as possible in work environments, either casual or suit and tie. But not to show anyone up. I've always believed that you dress for the job you want not the one you have. So, I don't get upset if someone else chooses to pay little attention to their outfits. I think the real issue is some people's response to a sartorial sensibility. I've had some people make their little comments, but that does not stop me from being me. So own your style and your co-workers may step up theirs. If not don't sweat it, own it.

6. allysan1027

allysan1027 Well-Known Member

:foo:

7. archibaldleach

Agree on not judging an individual by their clothes completely. I think some people here may do that, but I don't think it is the main point of the thread.

I don't think that preferring a more elegant work environment or liking to see people dress up to go to nice restaurants equates to judging people based on their clothes. I know some great people who are terrible dressers and/or live in jeans and a t-shirt for their entire life and stylish formal dressers who area real jerks.

Many of my good friends wear jeans to church. I don't think less of them for it, but when I look out and see a majority of people wearing jeans to something that once called for one's "Sunday best," I do wonder about our culture.

8. archibaldleach

Please note use of the word "possible" in the first sentence you quote, the fact that the second sentence is clearly trying to make a relative statement across industries rather than an absolute statement about any particular industry and that the final sentence you quote refers to a certain absolute benefit in a particular industry.

9. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Second this. Only I would add that "inappropriate dress" is highly contextual, so what goes in Muskogee, Oklahoma, probably won't play equally well in some metropolis, and vice versa. And that's how it should be.

10. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Ironically, Allysan1027's writing would benefit from some suit-induced rigor.

11. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

For the most part, my coworkers dress reasonably well.
    I am in DC & work very close to the SEC, Judiciary etc.
    I often feel embarassed for the way some of these folks dress and fundamenatally maintain their appearance.

Perhaps it is an Antipodean trait, that was drilled in from an early age.
    - Fingernails
    - Oral Hygiene
    - Shoes (maintain them well, regardless of whether they are Lobss or Kenneth Cole)

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Or Jos A. Bank, buy one suit get 4 for free.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Look, generally speaking, I don't care what anyone else wears, to work or otherwise. But, I do lament the casualisation of dress overall. It is rather tedious to have people, if I'm wearing a SC or suit, constantly pointing out what I'm wearing and asking if I'm interviewing or if there's something wrong with me. Very off putting to say the least. If more people wore suits these days, those sorts of reactions wouldn't exist (or would be far fewer in number).

14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

haha, competition is good, it drives me

15. mb0893

mb0893 Active Member

Being in my first office environment position, I've had to start building my business wardrobe from the ground up, taking cues from here, which has definitely helped my awareness of these kind of things.

One thing I've noticed in my office s that suits are only worn by our managers, typically only when they have meetings. Otherwise, we are not required to put on anything else beyond a shirt and tie, which is in reality a little bit o fa bummer for me. No tie is required on Fridays, unless some sort of meeting goes on, which is generally unlikely. However, this did not stop me from buying my first two well-fitting staple suits just to have in the closet in case they're needed. It was quite odd indeed when I wore one of them that it drew the attention of my co-workers, perhaps because I'm by no means all that important in the organizational structure of the firm. This kind of echoes the response that people are slowly developing to more formal businesswear, which does not bother me by any means but I would much prefer to be in an environment where wearing a suit isn't only expected for the firm's top.