• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you care about dressing distinctively?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no "ghostriding a motorcycle" option this time?

c00kz

Reaction score
Voted always. I'm one of those people who crave a sense of exclusivity even if it's not obvious or particularly expensive. Just like having stuff other people don't know about. I think that counts as dressing distinctively.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress in a pretty tame manner compared to a lot of people, but in my area just dressing with clothes that fit and something that isn't a peacoat in the winter is already pretty far out.

I'm sure it's different for people in NY or Cali or something. Atlanta is dogshit dildos.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's nice but not something I go out of my way to do (as in I don't do it for others), it is often the byproduct of me liking distinctive things.

Where you been pp?

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
no "ghostriding a motorcycle" option this time?

1264943409638.gif

knew I forgot something

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I care less about clothes every day. Moving out, working, and girlfriend are more my focus now.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
If I'm putting thought into a fit, yeah, but a lot of times even with my new stuff I'm just grabbing things and heading out the door and not really thinking about whether or not it's distinctive. When purchasing something, it definitely comes into play but it is not a make or break factor generally.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
It's nice but not something I go out of my way to do (as in I don't do it for others), it is often the byproduct of me liking distinctive things.

+1 It's just who I am.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's less of an objective and more of a byproduct of living where I do that makes it happen.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like to attract a lot of attention, so I actually dress less distinctive than I'd like to. I dressed up quite a bit more when I lived in Tokyo compared to living in Seattle.

BriansAWildDowner

Reaction score
I would if i knew how without making it look like i was really trying to. That make any sense?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
also sad for no motorcycle

But yea, i definitely care to an extent. Would hope to do soemthing in my own way or some weird pipedream like that. I mean, i don't see this as a large issue for the majority of good posters but rather people who copy a very obvious/easy/wide reaching thing like ripping Jcrew/urban outfitters catalogs/mannequins/site. Definitely is a jcrew and a UO hispter (even if they don't shop at UO) specific look and neither i'd want to do straight up like that, though elements of it with a different twist still looks good.

If the question is more about dressing distinctively from people on the internet lololololol. So stupid that people would care about that. SUFU is like that sometimes with people thinking something is "overhyped" or "done to death" or "killed" because a couple noobs started trying to wear a similar outfit. That **** doesn't concern me at all and could care less if something is a forum trend of very specific niche internet blog/webstore/fashion trend. Those are sometimes fun to experiment with and enjoy. Even when i see people wearing "current/previous level" internet fashion trends they still look much fresher than the average person outfit (and this includes people in boston who try) if the outfit/look is done right

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
I don't like to attract a lot of attention, so I actually dress less distinctive than I'd like to. I dressed up quite a bit more when I lived in Tokyo compared to living in Seattle.
This too. I like to stand out a little bit as "alex dresses pretty cool most the time" but don't like to throw up the bat signal for attention at all and try to be a bit more lowkey (even if i buy dickflaps, fake rickdunks or mmm hitops)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads