• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you care about dressing distinctively?

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of my purchases are fueled by whether or not an item is distinctive but rather whether or
not I like it.

The cards fall where they may beyond that.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about it too much. Why dress distinctively when you can dress well?

Of course, a lot of the things I like (beatle boots, corduroy suits, floral shirts) are pretty distinctive in their own right, so a lot of the time I look distinctive just because I'm wearing the kind of stuff that draws me in.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
There's only a few times I actually need to worry about being distinctive: when I'm wearing a suit, or stuff like khacki + blue. That's the only time I try to spice things up a little.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
I don't worry about it too much. Why dress distinctively when you can dress well?

Of course, a lot of the things I like (beatle boots, corduroy suits, floral shirts) are pretty distinctive in their own right, so a lot of the time I look distinctive just because I'm wearing the kind of stuff that draws me in.

**** please post some fit pics

btw i will have a full review soon but the beatwear are sick, make sure you size up though

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realized the other day that I have a lot of clothes...so I guess it kinda just depends on the mood and sometimes what I'm doing on a particular day/night. Sometimes I like wearing laceups, slacks, a vsweater and blazer to class, other days I'll do plims, grey flecked sweatpants, a gingham ocbd and a varsity or cardigan to class. Sometimes I have to walk into town where hicks drive around in their white pick up trucks with dead animals in the flatbed, people get mugged etc...so sometimes I tone it down, have been called a *** before by drive-by tough guys. Usually I just open up my closet and pick out clothes based on a few things, often what I wore the previous day, sometimes weather and comfort are a factor etc...but being distinctive in and of itself isn't exactly a motivation, like I know that the bottom line is I am generally going to look better than the vast majority of other college dudes so it's not that big a deal. It's also a matter of working with what's in the sandbox; my clothes are somewhat distinctive but generally not for the sake of being so, more so for the sake of going together well and accomplish certain aesthetic/vibe things that I like. Not quite sure if that's the same thing.

As far as continually expanding my wardrobe goes, it's the same thing, I build upon trying to make my wardrobe cohesive and unified toward expressing a vision so to speak, which usually just amounts to different kinds of comfort, sexy, refined etc...so maybe in a way it is about being distinctive.
lol8[1].gif
decisions.gif

/xenopost

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
**** please post some fit pics

btw i will have a full review soon but the beatwear are sick, make sure you size up though

Hah, it's stuff I like, not stuff I own. Will post pics once I have Thick as Thieves make me a cord suit, though.

I was on the fence about the beatwear because I only had the online pics to go by, but I'm glad they're good; it's tough to find good beatle boots. Will possibly cop once I'm making dollar bills.

/derail

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot

This was my first reaction. In this day and age, dressing well makes you distinctive.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't consciously try, but i can't help it. most people i'm around dress like college students and all look alike. i may wear similar pieces, but mine aren't gonna be penguin, A&F, etc so there is a noticeable difference. i'm only distinctive in the fact that it looks like i give a ****.

red120

Reaction score
I suppose it'd be somewhat.

I dress depending on my own aesthetic.. sometimes that's more in line with the zeitgeist, and sometimes it's not. Not egotistical enough to think that nothing I wear is derivative, but I don't consciously look to make it so (or not so).

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like to stand out because I am shy, but my taste in clothes leans towards stuff that stands out (where I live anyways), and when buying clothes I actually don't think a whole lot about wearing them. That comes afterwards. I'd like to be not super noticeable but if someone looks at me they'd be like "hey that dude knows how to dress."

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly enough, dressing well IS dressing distinctive in a lot of places.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wogbog
I don't like to stand out because I am shy, but my taste in clothes leans towards stuff that stands out (where I live anyways), and when buying clothes I actually don't think a whole lot about wearing them. That comes afterwards. I'd like to be not super noticeable but if someone looks at me they'd be like "hey that dude knows how to dress."
I am the inverse of this; I am the opposite of shy, and so I go for unique items that stand out.
bigstar[1].gif
Edit: Also, what is the point of being on a forum for style if you're trying to fit in? If I wanted to not stand out, I'd just copy whatever my friends are doing and be just fine.

Astan

Reaction score
I dress the way I think reflects who I am. I don't care if other people dress similarly, although they don't. Clothes are about expression, you shouldn't care about what other people wear. Having said that, thats not to say you can't wear something hideous and not be called on it. Your choice must also be aesthetically pleasing as well.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I care more about dressing instinctively.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, but I care not to buy the low price items that can be seen everywhere. Just feels depressing to have the same shirt as every 20 something that consider himself "interested in style"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads