Do you call the Police?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tck13, Jul 18, 2012.

Call the Police?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No and check the paper the next day...

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

:slayer:

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

Both of these are fantastic.

3. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I'd call the police.

My second call would be to a Realtor to help get me out of my ghetto apartment.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

I tend to forget that affluent people never do this kind of stuff. Fortunately, I can always count on some classist dick to remind me.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I've contacted the police about 6 times in the past 5 years everything from a homeless guy acting iratically in my neighborhood, a guy in a van taking pictures of preteen ages with. Telephoto lens, a guy hot wiring a car. That is what being a good citizen is about.

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Unfortunately, the only time I've called the cops has been prank calls (while under 14 years old) and to bust a rival fraternity party. Never had a reason to otherwise.

7. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

More class.

8. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

If the situation is one that I can pretty much handle myself, then I won't. But if I feel it is necessary to involve the police, I will call. And a situation like this, with a child involved, I wouldn't hesitate to call the police.

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

yes we all know that the rich abusive crazies are smart enough to do that shit in the privacy of their own home.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I was just having a discussion about this with a fellow criminal defense lawyer yesterday. I think it's kind of illogical how domestic violence cases are treated with more seriousness than other assaults and how defendants accused of DV face greater consequences. After all, I think a person who assaults a stranger is more of a danger to society than someone who assaults their spouse, and therefore, the person who assaults a stranger should face greater consequences, not the other way around.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Interesting. How does the nature of trust and co-dependence factor into this? I'd think (just off-the-cuff, mind you), that there's a violation of trust issue in DV cases, where there's no expectation in random assaults (outside of common courtesy).

12. elegance007

elegance007 Well-Known Member

This.

Whatever argument the couple has is none of my business. However, my car is my business.

Now if he was beating her into death I would do something, but not over an argument. Who knows what the woman did to send him over the edge. Its between them, and there is no reason to get in the middle.

13. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Any day with the mod powers, guys....

14. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I call 911 for all kinds of trivial BS these days, and I definitely would have dialed it in this situation.

I was on the phone with 911 once reporting a highly erratic and likely drunk driver, in the middle of a sentence saying "this guy is going to hit someone any second now" when he actually did sideswipe someone.

I dialed 911 when I saw some lady slumped on the side of the road, sobbing, with her bags all around her - it needed a cop, but I wasn't about to intervene myself.

I dialed 911 on a semi that was weaving in and out of traffic at like 90mph.

I dialed 911 on a truck that I saw sitting on the side of the road, clearly with someone in it, that I later saw in the exact same place, someone still in it, some 2 hours later, wondering if the guy had had a heart attack or something.

My good buddy's brother is a Baltimore City cop, and he's the one who encouraged me to do it, even for little non-emergencies. I've never gone on hold; I'm always off the phone very quickly, and no 911 operator has ever given me a hard time about it. If it's 10pm and you need the cops, how else are you going to get a hold of one?

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I think it's because people that abuse their spouses often eventually kill their spouse, or at least that is the perception, and so there is an inclination to be harsh with them right at the beginning. It might not be rational but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the source of it. There's probably an element of man beating woman worked in too, whereas random assaults are probably more man beats man and so there's less sympathy and outrage there, rightly or wrongly.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012