• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you bleach your expensive white dress shirts?

Upward

Reaction score
Will bleach damage fine dress shirts? How much should be added to a wash? half a cup? a full cup?

What is the best way to remove stains around the collar? I've tried resolve and sprays and they do not work.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
My shirts are probably not the most expensive, but every so often when I have a full-load of whites I'll put one cup of bleach just to get that white color again. Which, as far as I can tell, hasn't done any damage to my shirts yet.

Also, I suggest buying a bristle brush and a naptha soap bar to remove the stains.

Upward

Reaction score
My shirts are probably not the most expensive, but every so often when I have a full-load of whites I'll put one cup of bleach just to get that white color again. Which, as far as I can tell, hasn't done any damage to my shirts yet.

Also, I suggest buying a bristle brush and a naptha soap bar to remove the stains.
I will give the soap and brush a try. Is a toothbrush soft enough?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bleach will eventually eat through your shirts.

now if you don't mind why would you want to bleach a good shirt ??

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score

I will give the soap and brush a try. Is a toothbrush soft enough?
I personally use a harder bristle brush, but a toothbrush should probably do the job.

Last edited:

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search for the concentrated OxiClean method posted by some of the OG members many years ago. It really is the most important thing I've ever learned on this site. It has never failed me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't want my shirts to fall apart.

Then don't wash them with acid! Bleach is an acid and will do your shirts long term harm.

How have they become so stained in the first place - think about curing that and buying new ones when you have cured that.

Last edited:

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, thanks Calder. That's the one. Almost 10 years old now - wow.

mans72

Reaction score
Then don't wash them with acid! Bleach is an acid and will do your shirts long term harm.

How have they become so stained in the first place - think about curing that and buying new ones when you have cured that.
most bleaches are basic not acidic. But the result ends up being the same.

WorldWideWafflz

Reaction score
most bleaches are basic not acidic. But the result ends up being the same.
I found GBR's comment pretty funny as well. But the upshot is the same, bleach definitely degrades cotton. I'd say the trick would be use minimal bleach and only bleach once every handful of washes to minimize or eliminate the buildup of caustic residue in the fibers of your clothes. I saw a thing on wikipedia about using vinegar to neutralize the bleach but I wouldn't recommend it. Sodium hypochlorite (the primary active ingredient in household bleach) breaks down into toxic chlorine gas when mixed with acids; sure it'll volatilize off your clothes, but then it's in the air you breathe.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will bleach damage fine dress shirts? How much should be added to a wash? half a cup? a full cup?

What is the best way to remove stains around the collar? I've tried resolve and sprays and they do not work.

If resolve and the sprays don't work, bleach likely wont do much better.

Calder

Reaction score
It'll more than likely damage the colours. Test it on part of the tail hem to see if you really want, but I'd bet it'll bleach (duh) the colour out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics