• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you believe in intelligent extraterrestrial life?

rob

Reaction score
Conne,

That's okay, I fully expected you to take at least seven hours to form a response

rob

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Rob,

You're a blowhard.

Goodbye

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Although I believe in extraterrestrial life, sometimes I wonder whether they would even want to make contact with us. Seriously, if you knew that someone living down the street was throwing garbage out on their front lawn (pollution), and beating their spouse and children (war), would you want pop over and say hi?

But then again, maybe the ETs have too many of their own problems to worry about contacting us.

Just thinking aloud.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I guess defining "intelligent" is kind of hard. Carl Sagan's definition was grounded in the ability of a civilization to send and receive radio waves. He argues, convincingly, that it is a pretty rudimentary measure of intelligence that is very easily understood.

So what do you think? Somewhere in the universe, does intelligent life exist?

Were we not 'intelligent' before the invention of the radio (transmitter)?

Just as easely it could be said only a race who has invented space money, is intelligent

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have a hunch there is, but no proof, ergo "other."

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

They are beings far too advanced to be leaving things like "proof" for our puny earthling minds to try to comprehend.
laugh.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
They are beings far too advanced to be leaving things like "proof" for our puny earthling minds to try to comprehend.
laugh.gif

Damn. Good point!

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Believe in it? Meh. I'd say I hold out the possibility that it exists. Believe is a strong word in this case.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Part of the problem with the OP is that many of us frame "intelligent ET life" in human, or at least human-like, form.

Who's to say IETL has a form at all similar to ours?

I gotta believe there is IETL somewhere.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others have mentioned, the whole idea that "intelligent" life is like us is flawed. There has to be a major assumption that we are intelligent
biggrin.gif
We can`t even communicate with other forms of life (animals, bugs, plants, etc.) on our planet, so I don`t think we should assume we could communicate with life on other planets.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I chose other. I can't imagine we're the only intelligent life in a universe that has dimensions beyond my comprehension, but I don't have any evidence in favor of their existence.

I would say I believe that it is highly improbable that we are the only intelligent life in the entire Universe, but I'm unwilling to state I believe in something of which I have no proof.

Sums up my own attitude to this topic about as well as I could.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Like others have mentioned, the whole idea that "intelligent" life is like us is flawed. There has to be a major assumption that we are intelligent
biggrin.gif
We can`t even communicate with other forms of life (animals, bugs, plants, etc.) on our planet, so I don`t think we should assume we could communicate with life on other planets.

+1, and thanks for all the fish!

Humans are a terribly arrogant and small minded people. Who's to say that we havent already been "contacted" by some form of intelligent non-human (maybe even non-corporeal) entity and simply weren't aware enough to recognize it/them?

Wouldn't the Christian God, in the most basic of definitions be considered "intelligent extra-terrestrial life"?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I chose other. I can't imagine we're the only intelligent life in a universe that has dimensions beyond my comprehension, but I don't have any evidence in favor of their existence.

I would say I believe that it is highly improbable that we are the only intelligent life in the entire Universe, but I'm unwilling to state I believe in something of which I have no proof.

bingo. I basically agree 100%.

I feel that it isn't something that we will know in our lives, so I dohn't think about it.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG

Originally Posted by Piobaire

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Believe in it? Meh. I'd say I hold out the possibility that it exists. Believe is a strong word in this case.

+1. The grounds for affirmation or denial aren't exactly solid.

markbao

Reaction score
Absolutely, without a doubt. There is nothing more certain than extraterrestrial life. Take a look at this image from the Hubble Space Telescope. Earth is in a solar system of many planets, which is part of a galaxy of an incredible amount of solar systems. Each body in that image is a galaxy. And that's only a small portion of the universe.

Given the law of large numbers, given the billions of years the Universe has existed for the development of life, given the various types of species that are able to grow in our current Earth, and given the fact that precursors of humans were able to develop"”from the beginning"”from one-celled organisms, there is definitely intelligent extraterrestrial life.

But to find them, there needs to be a lot of discovery and advancements. Carl Sagan said it best:

Originally Posted by Carl Sagan
The sky calls to us.
If we do not destroy ourselves,
We will, one day, venture to the stars.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads