• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Balance Your Checkbook?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was very vague about my finances until about 3 years ago when I made the decision to keep track of every penny that goes in and out of my life.

This has made a huge difference in my financial life and I strongly recommend it!

I use Quicken for Mac so I don't really use a checkbook but I record in it daily. Although, I just upgraded and I lost all of my old records so now I'm starting over...
ffffuuuu.gif

Do you balance your checkbook or how do you keep track of your money?

I have a friend who never keeps a record outside of just remembering never to spend more than his last paycheck. Seems to work well for him. *shrugs*

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't even write checks any longer. All my payments are online and I can check the transactions the next day. Hell, I barely pay in cash any longer so I know pretty much exactly what I'm spending.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's a checkbook? Seriously, I have to search for it on the very rare occasion I need to write one. My transactions are mostly electronic, but I do keep track of balances daily.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I use Mint.com. Great service.

+1. I use that for tracking transactions and "wealth".

I still use my checkbook 15-20 times a year for things like rent payment and doctor's bills where the accounts receivable departments are ass-backwards.

I used to need them for transferring cash to friends when I owed them something but now it's literally as easy as opening our PayPal iphone apps and bumping phones together.

Big T

Reaction score
Don't have to! I employ a gentleman to do that stuff for me.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm a college student first of all so i don't really have much to manage. i have a few bills a month (car insurance, cell phone, credit card, and a little portion of rent) so it's not very complicated.

i have checks and i use them once in a blue moon but no, i don't balance a checkbook or anything. i have my money in a checking/saving account and i just swipe my debit card without ever really looking at what is left. since i don't spend much money on a weekly basis (say ~$60 total for gas and food) its never really a problem.

i just go to my banks website and make sure everything looks clean about twice a month.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use cheques for paying rent and my tailor, that's it. Everything else is CC or debit. Once in a blue moon I end up with cash, which is used typically for alcohol.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Everything goes on the card and then I pay that off

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use an Excel spreadsheet I created that tracks all of my expenses and incoming funds, giving me a real-time monthly budget balance remaining.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
MS Money. Record every CC or debit card receipt. Good stuff.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate people who slowly write checks in the check-out lane @ a grocery store and keep all waiting...as a punishment, hope their cheque-book is perpetually out of balance

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
MS Money. Record every CC or debit card receipt. Good stuff.

I liked MS Money actually. Kind of sucks that they quit making it. I still haven't switched to something else though.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I use an Excel spreadsheet I created that tracks all of my expenses and incoming funds, giving me a real-time monthly budget balance remaining.

I used to do that as well. Now I just use mint.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads