1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do women still know how to cook?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mgm9128, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I'm 18 and most of the girls my age don't know how to cook. One of the smartest girls I know stuck a mac and cheese in the microwave without water and set the microwave on fire.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Come on, guys. It matters that mm says stupid things sometimes (ok, more than sometimes) but how he is able to afford things is really his own business. Why bother ragging on him for his background when you can rag on his opinions?

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

To be fair to me, I was only explaining to MM why we can safely say that our assumptions about him are correct.

And yeah, he gives us far more (and better) shit to beat him up over than his (or his family's) financial status.

4. Lel

Lel Senior member

Having not read the entire thread, I'm just going to answer the original question.

No. Not really. But neither do guys. In fact, I think my entire generation pretty much fails at this so far though we are rather young so it may just be a phase. A disturbing trend I'm noticing is the increasingly narrow palette I see so many people sporting. For instance, a girl I know commented on a picture of me eating mussels saying that I always liked eating "weird seafood". Furthermore, I know of a girl who hasn't even eaten fish... This attitude is just "WTF" to me considering most of the crap I see people my age eating is probably loaded up with more disgusting and unnatural things than most foreign foods. The vast, vast majority of people I know just eat pre-made microwaveable foods like hot dogs, hamburger helper, and deli meats that probably have more artificial byproduct than actual meat in them.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

^must agree with this. this reeks of chauvinistic social prejudice. girls are expected to cook and since less people irregardless of gender cook (with the advent of TV dinners, frozen foods, prepared foods, fast food) it just seems like girls cook less.

i know a few girls who dont cook my girl being one (ugg). i know a environmental engineer who refuses to cook. she told me sometimes if she wants something now she'll microwave an egg and eat some spam raw.

i also know quite a few who are excellent cooks.

6. Desi

Desi Senior member

I feel like a lot of people just don't like seafood. I am not a heavy fish person myself though I eat pretty much the majority of Southern Soul Food delicacy. Fish is just not my or anyone I knows favorite thing except for my sister who stopped eating meat. Not to forget that seafood pretty much can end up looking the same after prepared and cooked.

7. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

I could probably live only on seafood and vegetables.

8. itsstillmatt

I pretty much do these days.

9. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Unless you find a good recipe for chicken poached in ghost farts or something.

10. Lel

Lel Senior member

It's not an issue of taste preference. A friend of mine doesn't like fish, and I asked him why and he replied that he had some pretty good fish once and didn't like it. That's fine.

The issue is that mussels are "weird" and the other girl in question wouldn't even try a bite of salmon. But it extends past that, on my school trip to France there was a huge issue of whether or not we could be served lamb for dinner because some people might not like it. When you an entire generation grows up on shit like hamburger helper and refuses to actually eat real food it kind of stunts the ability for a lot of people to cook.

11. itsstillmatt

Are ghost farts a hipster thang?

12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

The anal byproduct of swirling I believe. They sell them at Rainbow Grocery, next to all of the Annie's spreads.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011