1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do Women Really Love Stylish men?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Dec 14, 2004.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

now I am convinced that Alexis is a woman. great post.

2. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

johnapril, unfortunately I do not think it a contradiction, I think you are inevitably right in the assumption of most men's thoughts in dating...it seems most men, especially young, are out to have a "good time" more so than to find a serious relationship, not I suppose a bad thing, but as we get older, I believe a less mature way to approach life. I should hope that every man was as lucky as I. I have known my wife since the age of 12, and although we did not date until we were 20 and 19, we always looked upon each other as a soul mate in certain ways, and after a time, we developed into a fun loving couple that appreciated each other for all of our deficiencies as well as the good traits. Oh to be young again, maybe I might have a different perspective.

3. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I agree -

And as someone who dated more than my share of women before settling down, I would encourage my fellow gentlemen on this forum to read Alexis' post and take it to heart.

Alexis - great job - you are truly an asset to this group.

Bradford

4. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

This is what I was trying to say earlier, differentiating "like/love" as these imply a more mature relationship, from getting laid, the bars, picking chicks up, etc.

In summary - it's about her, not you.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Really? I sort of thought that a relationship was about two people.

6. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

You may think that, but........

7. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

You're saying it's wrong to think this? Damn... [​IMG] On the other hand, it does explain an awful lot in my life.

8. globetrotter

well, if it works for you tell me what your secret is...

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

As someone with a similar experience, I second this. Even in a "casual" relationship, the girls you will have the best time with are the ones you can actually talk to and have a good time with and are comfortable with and are comfortable with you. Cliched, but pretty true.

10. novalis

novalis Senior member

A few months ago I picked up a slim book (now out of print) called "Women Pros and Cons" that compiled a collection of quotes on said topic. I found the following quotes telling, amusing or both:

"He gets on best with women who best knows how to get on without them. A sweetheart is a bottle of wine; a wife is a wine-bottle." - Baudelaire

"To a woman there is something indescribably inviting in a man whom other women favor." - Balzac

"A modest woman, dressed out in all her finery, is the most tremendous object of the whole creation." - Goldsmith

"Women, when they are not in love, have all the cold blood of an experienced attorney." - Balzac

"Being a woman is a terribly difficult trade, since it consists principally of dealings with men." - Conrad

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Sorry, but I'll stick with my one evening "relationships" if a mature relationship is defined as being all about her, not the both of you.

12. PHV

PHV Senior member

I really have to agree with Alexis... I'm not a woman, but something I've picked up is that many women like confidence.

Clothes can have something to do with your confidence, so wear what you will feel confident in. It's not that Axl rose, Mik Jagger, or Steven Tyler are stylish that women love them. One of the biggest things that attracts them to those kinds of guys is their enormous confidence, and I'd say that every guy would call them sartorial disasters.

So really, in the matter of women, wear what makes you feel confident.

13. Eric

Eric Senior member

PHV,

I think wearing what you want is more of a byproduct of confidence, more than wearing something making you confident.

And may I say that this topic has been beaten to death. Overthinking relationships is suicide, keep it simple and you be happy.

Eric

14. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I believe that there are a few these that trigger women's attraction and being well dressed plays a part.

Confidence - Most people in general like confident people. A "good personality" can only be displayed in a confident person. Being well dressed can help show confidence and give the wearer extra confidence.

Masculinity - Women can say what they want about sensitive men but I believe most (if not all women) have at least a hidden desire for a man that can physically dominate both men and women. Clothes can help accentuate the physical characteristics that may subconciously lead to this belief.

Money - A women once told me that all men look much taller when standing on a stack of money. Like it or not, a large bank account can help to eliminate many other flaws a man may have. Money may not be the only thing, but it can't hurt. Women are looking for a "good provider" and a healthy net worth can accomplish this. Quality clothes are often noticed. It's not easy to afford cashmere working at McDonalds.

Jealousy / Competition - Attract one woman and more will follow.

A man either has masculinity (or physical prowess) and confidence or he doesn't. If not, a bank account will be required. For men early in their career, they will need to at least show the future capability of wealth. If this wealth is not achieved by middle age, it is time to make a deal with the devil to obtain the first two traits. If not, you will most likely have many lonely evenings.

15. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

Apologies, I wasn't being clear, I had two thoughts going there.
    The second - "all about her" - was meant to be showing interest in her, paying attention, listening, and so on. As in when you are
    first meeting someone, put them at ease.

16. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Ah, well that makes sense then and I can dig that.

I was reacting, I suppose, to those distressing men -- whose numbers seem to be slowly increasing -- who believe manhood is the original sin and therefore must prostrate themselves to women. They're bloody well everywhere. One of them was on CNN tonight touting some book in which seemed to be the wisdom that all relationship failures were, not surprisingly, the result of men.

17. leroy

leroy Active Member

Many women would have a slightly deeper impression about men who dress well compared to a slob anytime. At least from my experience but it does not mean that the woman likes a stylish men.

Some of my women customers were complaining how their husband over the years have been putting on weight and cannot be bothered in their dressing. However, these women are still working on their looks. When they go out on a date, they feel that their husbands do not match their dressing up. Of coz they still love their husbands but would wish that the man can work a bit on their overall looks at the least even though they are married for years.

18. globetrotter

(jekv12 @ 15 Dec. 2004, 9:58) Apologies, I wasn't being clear, I had two thoughts going there. The second - "all about her" - was meant to be showing interest in her, paying attention, listening, and so on. As in when you are first meeting someone, put them at ease.
    Ah, well that makes sense then and I can dig that. I was reacting, I suppose, to those distressing men -- whose numbers seem to be slowly increasing -- who believe manhood is the original sin and therefore must prostrate themselves to women. They're bloody well everywhere. One of them was on CNN tonight touting some book in which seemed to be the wisdom that all relationship failures were, not surprisingly, the result of men.
    a large part of relationships, mature adult relationships, is giving up some of your rights in exchange for the other person doing the same. and I think that that is what triggers your "availability" for these kind of mature relationships, when you have accepted that. in return, you get companionship, sex, somebody to grow old with and somebody who eally cares about you. for some of us, it isn't a worth while exchange, some of go from not being willing to make this trade to embrassing it, and some have been ready for it their whole lives.

19. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I personally do not try to impress woman with my clothes. But I will admit that I want to look 'presentable' when I meet ladies.

Woman do notice when a man takes care of himself, and they like that. I expect same from a woman as well. Trick is that what ever the look that you go for has to come from your mind and desire.

Nobody told me what to wear etc. I just knew the style I chose was for me.

Oh, another thing, I like to amuse girls. So when girls ask me such questions "I love your suit, Where did you get it?"
    My reply .. "K-mart" (infact I was wearing Brioni wink). And jokes goes on and on ..