Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Perdogg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

In my experience the women who most notice shoes are those who work in development / fund raising.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

In my experience the women who most notice shoes are those who work in development / fund raising.
    By development are you including sales? If this is the case, yes! Not sure why it matters if women notice your shoes. They simply need to be congruent with how you look, if you're well tailored than you need to continue that with a nice pair of sleek shoes. I'd rather simply look sharp than look like i'm fishing for compliments by wearing something that stands out on its own, other than my Bold glen plaid suit.

3. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

^^^^^Women in sales notice shoes because they are looking for ways to strike up conversations which inevitably lead to more sales. In reality, they could give a rat's ass about your shoes.

4. SkinnyGoomba

^^^^^Women in sales notice shoes because they are looking for ways to strike up conversations which inevitably lead to more sales. In reality, they could give a rat's ass about your shoes.

They're being honey pots, without a doubt. I dont think they're looking for ways to strike a convo, I think they're looking for someone who obviously spends money.

5. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

I always assumed that women look at shoes in much the same way I do. As a shoe enthusiast, I definitely notice a woman's shoes, and tend to use shoes in general as a marker of how much care and thought a person puts into their appearance. Since shoes are important to me, a woman with poor taste in shoes steps up to the plate with strikes 1 and 2 already against her; but it would be a sin to count someone out merely because I don't like their shoes.

I guess my overall thought is that some people "get it" and notice things like quality and attention to detail; that is a desirable trait. Others don't care as much about that, which leads me to believe that they would find me fussy and overly-demanding. In the end, I would like to think that I dress for myself, and not for what some random chick might find attractive.

6. SkinnyGoomba

I dont notice womens shoes unless they're terribly out of place, or just simply terrible.

7. Salsalocust

Salsalocust Senior member

Of course the answer is yes! [​IMG]

Regards,

Graham

8. epa

epa Senior member

Yeah, seriously. Knowing that there's a sizable percentage of women that *claim* they'd rather go shoe shopping than have sex (so sad, I know), it'd be ludicrous to say they don't care about your shoes at all. I mean did you guys read that thread where I think it was -Norton- woke up to that woman on her knees sniffing his shoes?

Read that post and tell me they don't give a shit.

One thing does not exclude the other. Being a patent attorney, when reviewing some arguments by a colleague in the "f**king machines" case, I observed that women sometimes refer to their shoes as "f**k me shoes". For those interested in the matter: http://randazza.files.wordpress.com/...tter-uspto.pdf

9. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

Prop 2: Women can tell if you are wearing Lobbs, EGs, Church's, etc., are even aware of these brands, and somehow put you in higher esteem because you are wearing them as a result. I would argue this is far more rare, and generally untrue. A discerning woman might appreciate the beauty of a well-turned EG with a rich, deep patina, or catch the sight of a perfect sole at the opera while your foot is turned her way; yet most likely she will not know the brand or have even heard of it (unless her dad, brothers, etc. are connoisseurs themselves). She may recognize Gucci, Ferragamo, etc. but that's about it.

But honestly guys, even among enthusiasts, could most of you tell the difference, on the street, between an EG, G&G, Lobb, etc. semi-brogue in walnut/medium brown just with a glance?

I am totally with you on this one. It isn't just women who cannot identify good shoes, most men have no clue what a good shoe is and I would wager on average men are more likely to be aware of high end mens shoe makers than women. The average man on the street has never even heard of edward green, john lobb, cockett and jones, churchs, vass, etc. Sadly, many young men my age do not even know what alden or allen edmonds are. Now take that average knowledge and try to perform on the fly identification of quality shoes!

I am also confident that a pair of square toe kenneth cole plaque loafers would attract more compliments that a pair of AE park aves in most settles. [​IMG]

10. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

I am totally with you on this one. It isn't just women who cannot identify good shoes, most men have no clue what a good shoe is and I would wager on average men are more likely to be aware of high end mens shoe makers than women. The average man on the street has never even heard of edward green, john lobb, cockett and jones, churchs, vass, etc. Sadly, many young men my age do not even know what alden or allen edmonds are. Now take that average knowledge and try to perform on the fly identification of quality shoes!

I am also confident that a pair of square toe kenneth cole plaque loafers would attract more compliments that a pair of AE park aves in most settles. [​IMG]

Sooo... you want people to be more aware of brands? Because that's exactly what led to the shirt this guy was wearing on Navy Pier that was vertically striped, and the stripes were the words "Salvatore Ferragamo" or something repeated over and over. I would never complement someone on wearing Lobbs, I would complement them on their nice shoes. A keen eye and discerning palate are much more attractive than an encyclopedic knowledge of brand hierarchy.

Also, I think what a woman thinks of your clothes can be a great indicator of your compatibility. Sure, I might get more compliments from wearing metallic Nike high-tops than from wearing Lobb oxfords, but the compliments on the Lobbs would be worth vastly more to me, because they came from someone with good taste.

11. BlueWord

BlueWord Well-Known Member

Definitely. Shoes, more than anything else, make or break a look; you can dress up all you want, but if your shoes look like shit, or don't mesh with what you're wearing, it's going to look like crap.

Though, I suppose I should say that it's less the quality of the shoe, and more the context. If you can make a shoe work with what you're wearing, then it's like anything else. But, like I said, I really think that shoes are perhaps the one thing you can't afford to mess up in a look.

12. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Women in heels and jeans drive me wild. If a woman has flats without showing some freshly painted toenails, that is a major turnoff and lack of sex appeal on her part. Women's feet are hot because they are what's going up on my shoulders if I hook up with them.

13. onix

onix Senior member

Women in heels and jeans drive me wild. If a woman has flats without showing some freshly painted toenails, that is a major turnoff and lack of sex appeal on her part. Women's feet are hot because they are what's going up on my shoulders if I hook up with them.

[​IMG]

14. SkinnyGoomba

Definitely. Shoes, more than anything else, make or break a look; you can dress up all you want, but if your shoes look like shit, or don't mesh with what you're wearing, it's going to look like crap.

Though, I suppose I should say that it's less the quality of the shoe, and more the context. If you can make a shoe work with what you're wearing, then it's like anything else. But, like I said, I really think that shoes are perhaps the one thing you can't afford to mess up in a look.

I would find a terrible fitting cheap suit paired with John Lobbs to be equally dysfunctional.

15. BlueWord

BlueWord Well-Known Member

I would find a terrible fitting cheap suit paired with John Lobbs to be equally dysfunctional.

Well, it goes both ways, of course. Actually, on a reread, it seems like all I said in my post was "Wear what looks good, shoes are important." [​IMG]