1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Perdogg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do women really judge men by the shoes men wear? I read somewhere that since women feel that they have to pay a lot, and put effort into shoes it is only fair that they judge men by the shoes they wear.

To me it sounds like rubbish, I just wanted to now how true or relevant this was.

Most women don't know enough about men's shoes to judge anything. My better shoes do get compliments, but those are general. It is a very rare woman, who probably works in retail or in fashion who can judge that I have a better shoe and not just one that looks nice.

A friend used to be Tom Ford's personal assistant. Now when I see her, I always wear my best shoes, because she is looking and she knows. [​IMG]

2. Palladio

Palladio Well-Known Member

Most women don't know enough about men's shoes to judge anything.
    I asked a female co-worker who is very interested in women's fashion about this. She confirmed that even someone as interested in clothing as she is doesn't know much about men's shoes, and that she only notices if they look good or not on the guy wearing them. She didn't know the difference between the low-end brands and the ones that we discuss on SF.

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I asked a female co-worker who is very interested in women's fashion about this. She confirmed that even someone as interested in clothing as she is doesn't know much about men's shoes, and that she only notices if they look good or not on the guy wearing them. She didn't know the difference between the low-end brands and the ones that we discuss on SF.

Most women would notice good looking shoes from fugly ones and even that angle is open to interpretations..

They would not make the difference between a mid and high end pair of shoes...

My wife find spectators repulsive and hates full broguing...

Women tend to like simple honest oxfords,loafers or derbies...

They also tend to hate tassel loafers.

4. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

[​IMG]

5. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

Doesn't everyone?

6. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Doesn't everyone?
    Everyone except the country club types who are still living in the 80s.

7. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

[​IMG]

Doesn't everyone?

Everyone except the country club types who are still living in the 80s.

[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I probably get as many if not more compliments from women when I wear a great jacket/pocketsquare combination than on shoes.

9. AnnSOS

AnnSOS Active Member

YES YES YES!
    Shoes are the number one clothing item that can make or break an outfit.

AND, shoes are the number one clothing piece than men notice about each other in the immediate subliminal ranking that occurs when men meet. Try it next time you meet another man, a peer in your business world - bet you will check out his shoes!

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I probably get as many if not more compliments from women when I wear a great jacket/pocketsquare combination than on shoes.

They may not actually compliment you on your shoes, but they DO notice them - silently... :)

11. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

YES YES YES!
    Shoes are the number one clothing item that can make or break an outfit.

AND, shoes are the number one clothing piece than men notice about each other in the immediate subliminal ranking that occurs when men meet. Try it next time you meet another man, a peer in your business world - bet you will check out his shoes!

I can't help it, I check out shoes constantly. I have yet to ever spot another guy doing the same. It's incredibly rare (I live in San Francisco and work in Silicon Valley) for me to see a "decent" pair of shoes. Maybe one guy out of 25 is wearing anything beyond sneakers or Aldo/KC monstrosities.

12. AnnSOS

AnnSOS Active Member

Your post made me laugh! Living in conservative CT, I may be missing the CA boat a little, but I'm sticking to my GUNS: are you sure you guys aren't checking out each others "status" running shoe brands or something??

Okay and another thing, where'd you get that avatar, you savages out there dangle kittens? :)

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Your post made me laugh! Living in conservative CT, I may be missing the CA boat a little, but I'm sticking to my GUNS: are you sure you guys aren't checking out each others "status" running shoe brands or something?? Okay and another thing, where'd you get that avatar, you savages out there dangle kittens? :)
    You mean you've never played Kitten Catch? You're missing out! I grew up in conservative CT my self but the only shoes I remember checking out were Vans, to make sure that nobody else had the same custom pattern as me! I'll admit that I may be missing the guys who are checking out other guys' sneaks or Prada sandals.

14. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

My first answer would be to say that of course they do as I know many women that do. Yet I am sad to inform all of you guys praying that they don't that I have seen many beautiful women on the arms of douchebags with the ugliest shoes possible. So it's one of those questions, where 80% of the girls you know will say of course they do but your own eyes will tell you different when you walk down the street and start to notice the shoes of the men who are with a girl!! It's a sad sad world!!!!

15. epa

epa Senior member

My first answer would be to say that of course they do as I know many women that do. Yet I am sad to inform all of you guys praying that they don't that I have seen many beautiful women on the arms of douchebags with the ugliest shoes possible. So it's one of those questions, where 80% of the girls you know will say of course they do but your own eyes will tell you different when you walk down the street and start to notice the shoes of the men who are with a girl!! It's a sad sad world!!!!

Maybe they are with the douchebags not because of the ugly shoes but in spite of the ugly shoes. Maybe the douchebag has money, or is good looking, or great fun. Maybe he is a football player. Maybe if she had to choose between two equally rich and goodlooking douchebags, a pair of nice shoes could make the difference.

16. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Senior member

Yes, they do. However, most women even those into fashion aren't going to be aware of the nuances that make people cream their pants here. If your shoes (or even sneakers in many cases) look aesthetically good (no KC square toes or douchey elf x bicycle toe) then you're probably good. Basically, if your shoe could be seen in a Details or GQ spread then you're A-OK. You'll have a harder time impressing a bunch of guys on a message board than the average woman.

17. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

How do you know they're douchebags? By the shoes?

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

How do you know they're douchebags? By the shoes?

Very pointy dress shoes, loafers with designer logo on them, trainers with suits are good signs of douchebags.

19. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

I hear these have been adopted by the russian special forces. Literally millions will be made and should become available in 20 years on the surplus market. Can't wait!

PS: there called "galoshnikovs"

You must be Vox.

Very pointy dress shoes, loafers with designer logo on them, trainers with suits are good signs of douchebags.

100% accurate. Scientifically tested with a margin of error expected to be approximately 0.02%.

20. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Maybe they are with the douchebags not because of the ugly shoes but in spite of the ugly shoes.
    Maybe the douchebag has money, or is good looking, or great fun. Maybe he is a football player. Maybe if she had to choose b
    etween two equally rich and goodlooking douchebags, a pair of nice shoes could make the difference.

Women definitely notice shoes but overall, the ability to take a woman on an exciting emotional journey is more important than shoes