1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do wealthy people have fewer possessions in their homes?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by merkur, Apr 16, 2011.

1. eg1

eg1 Senior member

my house is outrageously cluttered. We complain about it and always "intend" to do something about it but somehow the Great Purge has not happened yet.

Same here. It's like some incurable virus - everytime we try to attack it from one end, it spreads somewhere else, and then multiplies. With young kids in the house, it would be a full-time task to even try to keep it uncluttered.

Attempting to de-clutter while you still have young children is a fool's errand! [​IMG]

My front yard/walkway looks like a freaking trailer-park after a tornado touched down ... [​IMG]

2. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    IME, most wealthy people are too busy working rather than accumulating shit for its own sake. Seems the richer people get, the more time they spend working because they enjoy it. If you're running a successful business, you don't have time to spend the weekend shopping for crap (or, for that matter, going on holidays). (Source)
    The comments on that blog are always hilarious

3. otc

otc Senior member

I totally gained 3sq ft of apartment space last night when I decided to to throw a bunch of stuff out.

As such, I have gained area and reduced possessions--I will soon have a wealthy home!

I see another 7sq ft I could gain...if all goes according to plan, I will have a 10 sq ft gain (that has been waiting since I moved into this place) and a reduction in item-density.

Then they will start sending me my rich person checks right?

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Then they will start sending me my rich person checks right?

[​IMG]
    No, but I think you'll be getting a call from AD very soon.

5. SirWilliam

SirWilliam Senior member

This is a silly thread. Some people have a lot of stuff rich or poor. AD homes are staged so it really depends on what the designer wants to show off. If you look at staged homes that are for sale even if there are still people living in them you wont find junk all over the place. The houses generally are not supposed to be personal, they are design concepts.

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

While I don't like clutter, in terms of design I don't personally cotton to minimalism ... I prefer more than less. My heart is more after Venturi ("Less is a bore") than Mies ("Less is more"). I just prefer that everything be very well organized.

7. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

anyone here somewhat minimalist/ anti clutter while their partner is a hoarder?

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm somewhat a minimalist, but I have clutter. [​IMG]

9. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

My family hoards shit pretty badly. We don't have a ton of nice stuff either. It's up being a bunch of shit that no one wants to throw away because they want to waste it, even if it's just taking up space.

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

My family hoards shit pretty badly.
    Although I've had plenty of opportunity (if that's what it is) ... shit is something I've never considered hoarding.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've noticed that clutter, at least as it occurs in my life, is often a result of just not having enough storage space for all the little shit that accumulates over the years. Certainly a restrained approach to buying shit is the most proactive and effective clutter-reducing technique. But additionally, adding more storage space really does help. Bear in mind that you can't just hoard shit in there, though. The act of putting something away should carry with it the intellectual exercise of figuring out when and why, if ever, you'll pull it back out. If you can't think of a reason, to the dump or goodwill it goes.

I agree.

I'm single so it's easier for me to minimize clutter, but every time i've moved I've thrown more things out. Right now, pretty much everything I own gets used, except for books that sit on the shelf that I haven't looked at since I first read them, but whatever.

I don't buy random garbage and don't understand people that hoard all sorts of junky little trinkets.

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I've never lived with a hoarder, but I have lived with a girlfriend who was messy and generally didn't give a shit about keeping things tidy. (I think she was spoiled by the fact that we had a housekeeper). I put up with it, despite my mild OCD, because she was sexy as hell and could ride good donkey. Cheers, Don Carlitos

13. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

storage is the key. if everything has a place then you can have lots of possesions and still maintain a neat house.

one thing i cannot stand is bookshelves and sideboards full of nick nacks.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

one thing i cannot stand is bookshelves and sideboards full of nick nacks.
    Oh, I especially like Arts & Crafts era bibelots ... or rather nicknacks.

15. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

I know people who are "house rich".

You walk into their beautiful homes and see little of note.

The mortgage nut is too big to have money left for good furniture or nice art.

16. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

lol i guess hoarder is too harsh. she's not like those intervention hoarders with poo lying around the floor. "messy" would be a better description. still though she keeps things and never throws anything away. we also have help but everytime she gets ready it's like a tornado of makeup and clothes passed by my bedroom. will put up with the hot mess anyway.

17. CouttsClient

I know people who are "house rich".

You walk into their beautiful homes and see little of note.

The mortgage nut is too big to have money left for good furniture or nice art.

I've always called that "house poor"

18. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

I've always called that "house poor"

Both terms seem to mean the same thing, according to Google. [​IMG]

19. otc

otc Senior member

Mortgage Morons?

20. CouttsClient

Probably a regional thing