Do we really need this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Jul 29, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

(LabelKing @ 29 July 2004, 4:14) Louis Vuitton, and Dior also make dog carriers. [​IMG] Also a Gucci dog bed, dog bone, and a whole gauntlet of accessories.
    I know a girl who owns this item. She even admits it was a poor choice in purchase. Â Still the most ridiculous fashion item I've EVER seen is the Gucci gardening tools.
    I must admit I own a Prada workbag, yo-yo, and tarot card set. Yes, I have a penchant for Prada's gift items. Gucci also made a Christmans tree, massage table, electronic guitar, and handcuffs I believe.

2. quill

quill Senior member

Okay, this thread is obviously morphing into Costly Curios in the World of Fashion. Hmmm....somebody should be a (dare I say it?) watchdog for the industry.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hmm...the handcuffs I understand [​IMG], but tarot card set is beyond me... Jon.

4. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

These threads are always interesting. I'll play devil's advocate.

Does one really need a bespoke suit?

Does one really need handmade shoes that cost over $1000?

What you want and what you need are clearly two different things. The difference is left up to the discretion of the buyer, no? Why the bashing of those who buy these items and the items themselves? If it works for them, fine. A similar thread on another board could be made about how people here go on and on about certain purchases and their attempts to constantly avoid what the masses do and wear. You may be surprised at one would assume or think about such a person.

I understand it is en vogue to bash the designer brands such as Prada and Gucci and show that one is *beyond* that, pity those that fall victim to logos and view such items and lost souls who purchase them with much disdain. The irony in that alone seems to escape many.

The purchases one makes, from LV bags to Kiton suits are arbitrary. As many here can justify huge sums of money on suits and shoes, they can do the same for their LV dog carrier and Gucci accessories.

5. quill

quill Senior member

Wow. Very astute, and well said.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I disagree; the wearer of the item should be the one that appreciates the item. A human can appreciate a suit from H. Huntsman, whilst a dog could not less if she/he is being carried in LV or a 50-year-old bag from the flea market. A woman can appreciate a diamond tennis bracelet; a cat cannot appreciate (or comprehend for that matter) a diamond collar.

Justification for humans is not justification for animals. We do not put animals on the same plane of existence that we put humans, thus you cannot justify luxury purchases for animals as you can with humans.

Jon.

7. SwaG

SwaG Well-Known Member

i have to.... Am i to assume that most of you are not into doggie style YES. Im here every Thursday and Saturday, good night New York.

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Jon, while its true that humans should not be(and in some situations they are ) equated with animals, do you mean to tell me that my wife's lipstick knows the difference between the Prada bag she has vs the 5 dollar a pop bag that I could have gotten on trhe streets of Manhattan (They really ARE designers... The man himself told me). The answer is how stylish the carrier looks and a LV doggie carrier is the same as an LV handbag.

However a chewable Gucci bone which is expendable is sinful.

JJF

9. quill

quill Senior member

Jon, Without getting into this, I believe you might find many people who disagree with you on this point. Animals, dogs even, have shown incredible wisdom throughout history well beyond their assumed level of intelligence. Protection, loyalty, ability to track and find previous masters, sensitivity to emotion, loss, and sense of place. Not my place to defend animals, I'm not smart enough. But "planes of existence" are highly debatable. There are many humans I'd return to their origin for a smart animal any day.

10. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i think the owner of the item is ultimately the one that should appreciate the item. As dogs are dependants (if not our property), they are a reflection on ourselves and our choices, much as children are. Little kids don't have the same sense of fashion that adults generally do, yet we make most of the decisions regarding their comportment. (unless they are 2 years old, in which case you send them to daycare wearing orange sandals, pink pants, and a red-and-white striped pyjama top, because they refuse to wear anything else. [​IMG] ) we like our kids and our pets to look a certain way, no matter how absurd that look may seem to others. personally an LV dog carrier looks a bit tacky to me, but then i wouldn't carry an LV bag or briefcase on my person either. conversely i don't like it when otherwise respectable looking people are out with a dog that's all mangy, dirty, or just ill-behaved. it's just rude. (exceptions include dogs that have been on a hunt or have been swimming.) but $500 for a chew toy...phew, i wish i had that money to burn... --- 'doggie style' ... classic. /andrew

11. hermes

hermes Senior member

i will be the first to admit that my wife and i spend money on our dog's collars - we do not in any way buy him clothing or such, but we do buy luxury collars and leashes, and we don't really care what anyone thinks of it (believe me, we get the 'you have a x brand collar for your dog' all the time)

the pet accessory industry is a multi-billion dollar industry so designers would be stupid to not offer something

as for gucci, in addition to their handcuffs, they have a whole range of s&m type items, from leather whips to crocodile spanking paddles ............ now that's really stretching your product placement

12. quill

quill Senior member

Ooooooh...I love to spank crocodiles. [​IMG]

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Maybe Lacoste should make s&m products? [​IMG] Jon.

14. quill

quill Senior member

(quill @ 30 July 2004, 2:11) Ooooooh...I love to spank crocodiles. Â [​IMG]
    Maybe Lacoste should make s&m products? [​IMG] Jon.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

I can't think of one way someone would justify buying Gucci gardening tools. It's just absurd any way you look at it.