• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we give Paris Hilton the benefit of the doubt?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All things considered, I generally like paris. And what's she supposed to say? 5? 10? How many make her a slut? She'd have to be completely stupid to answer with the real number (as would most girls). I agree with violinist in that a lot of people just want to rag on her because she's attractive, rich and can do anything she wants in life. Really though she's not any different than the other million hot girls that go clubbing a lot and enjoy sex. I'd say leave the poor girl alone if she didn't enjoy the publicity.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
...a lot of people just want to rag on her because she's attractive, rich and can do anything she wants in life.

I can only speak for myself. I abhor her and others like her, not because she is thought to be attractive or simply because she is rich. I hate her because she is rich, dumb, and does nothing to make society better. With all of the resources at her disposal I would expect her to get through HS and college and to then do something that adds to humanities betterment.

How hard would it be for her to spend her time working for a charitable foundation?

she is very very different from the millions of other hot young women out there who like to party and **** (to paraphrase you) because that is not those women's entire lives. They turn around the next Monday (or next morning) and go to work. Or they will very shortly. Paris? She'll be a socialite her entire life. That's both pitiful and abhorrant in my mind.

b

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's actually hard for us young socialites. People just don't understand.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I can only speak for myself. I abhor her and others like her, not because she is thought to be attractive or simply because she is rich. I hate her because she is rich, dumb, and does nothing to make society better. With all of the resources at her disposal I would expect her to get through HS and college and to then do something that adds to humanities betterment.

How hard would it be for her to spend her time working for a charitable foundation?

she is very very different from the millions of other hot young women out there who like to party and **** (to paraphrase you) because that is not those women's entire lives. They turn around the next Monday (or next morning) and go to work. Or they will very shortly. Paris? She'll be a socialite her entire life. That's both pitiful and abhorrant in my mind.

b

I don't know about that... It's not those womens' entire lives because they're forced to live in the real world. As you said, most of them have to get up in the morning and go to work. Paris doesn't have to work. If those women all won the lottery a lot of them would be doing what Paris is doing.

Have you been to any clubs (especially the nice ones) lately? A lot of the women there are looking for rich (or at least well off) men so that they can do exactly what paris is doing: shopping, partying, lunching and vacationing. I know girls in their 20s that do exactly that, and not even with their own money. They don't even lie about searching for guys with money. I've always taken the stance that they should use what they have and so it really doesn't bother me. The only reason more girls don't do what paris does is because they don't have the money.

And charity isn't for everyone. If I won the lottery for 500 million tomorrow, working for a charity would be the last thing on my mind.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Idle rich is not a new phenomenon in western civilization. The attraction to (obsession with?) how the rich and famous live isn't even really new, although it is reaching a feverish pitch. I don't frankly care who they are, what they do, or what they think.

(And I think Paris Hilton is fugly, so I REALLY don't get the obsession.)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget Paris Hilton. What about me? I'm pretty awesome. At least, that's what Tokyo told me
crazy.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Forget Paris Hilton. What about me? I'm pretty awesome. At least, that's what Tokyo told me
crazy.gif

So Fok, are you the
Originally Posted by TokyoSlim
married, aloof, paranoid, slutty, 50 years old, or an unappealing combination of the aforementioned.
or

Originally Posted by TokyoSlim
blind, generous, supermodel who cooks.
laugh.gif

oooops...wrong thread
blush.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deleted because I realized I don't care.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
crazy.gif

Uh... Dude!

DUDE!

DUUUUUDE!

Brokeback-Mountain.jpg

I would just like to reiterate that I like power tools, football, trucks, guns, BBQ, and um... chicks with big juicy, jiggly kickballs.

Sorry Fok.

Mike

Reaction score
All things considered, I generally like paris. And what's she supposed to say? 5? 10? How many make her a slut? She'd have to be completely stupid to answer with the real number (as would most girls). I agree with violinist in that a lot of people just want to rag on her because she's attractive, rich and can do anything she wants in life. Really though she's not any different than the other million hot girls that go clubbing a lot and enjoy sex. I'd say leave the poor girl alone if she didn't enjoy the publicity.

My whole problem with her, and the reason I rag on her, is that she became so famous for doing nothing. While there might be "millions of hot girls that go clubbing a lot and enjoy sex", they didn't become famous just for doing that. But, Paris came on the scene for just going to parties and going to clubs all the time. In another post there was talk of Britney Spears and Pink. Well, they at least brought something to the table, they became famous for performing and singing. Regardless of what anyone thinks of their efforts, they at least became famous for actually doing something. Of course NOW Paris is a singer, and an actress, but she didn't become famous for doing it {no pun intended
sly.gif
}. Now the millions of girls who go clubbing and enjoy sex think that they too can become famous for that. Why should we care about them? No reason. Same goes for Paris.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about that... It's not those womens' entire lives because they're forced to live in the real world. As you said, most of them have to get up in the morning and go to work. Paris doesn't have to work. If those women all won the lottery a lot of them would be doing what Paris is doing.

Yes, that's my point. And if those other women did win the $500m lottery and started behaving like her, I'd hate them just as much. As Mike says above, she is famous for, essentially, doing nothing.

There are many people who take the great advantages they are born with and put those resources (like all that time they have since they don't need a job) to work helping others. That might be volunteering, supporting their favorite museum, or whatever.

b

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike
But, Paris came on the scene for just going to parties and going to clubs all the time.

So you should be annoyed at the millions of americans that buy all the gossip magazines. It's not Paris' fault that the people feel the need to live vicariously through celebrities.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't have any problem with Paris Hilton. Don't like her, don't hate her. Folks have waaay too strong a reaction towards her, which my Freud 101-sense tells me they must be deeeep down very jealous of her.

Hearing about her on entertainment shows is like keeping tabs on the life of a martian.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
double post

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
I’m glad you didn’t take my post too seriously, since it was meant to be a joke. Outside of their field I don’t like to listen to actors or singers about any topic. I don’t care who Rob Lowe is going to vote for and I cant understand why any one else does. Pink has her place in the spectrum, not a big fan of her Bush bashing. You’re post above is my sentiment also.

PS. I wont knock his hustle or business acumen. His street stuff was generic and his first album was awesomely produced, I don’t think he will ever outdo himself in that arena. Getting shot 9 times will give you street cred in spades but a rapper it makes not. Then again I mostly listen to underground hip hop so I cant be swayed when someone tries to convince of how great Juwelz Santana or other commercial rappers are. Dipset…Ditset…anyone?

My free cable was recently cut, I almost never hear about Paris fortunatly.
Currently 50 is basically garbage. But his mix tapes from 2001-2003 were amazing. He's like Jigga changed his style, for the worse, for mass consumption.

Embarrassingly enough I listen to quite a bit of Dip Set, though I'm not silly enough to defend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads