• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do vintage Florsheim shrink?

Patrologia

Reaction score
Basic question is: (1) do vintage shoes shrink-significantly, or (b) have sizings changed?

I ran across a pretty decent pair of vintage pebble grain Florsheim LWB today, marked 10 1/2 E today, and I am, by golly, a 10 1/2 E. so just to be sure I slipped one on. Granted, I was able to get it on, but it felt like a 10.5D or a 10E, no money on which. Maybe even a 10D. So did the shoe shrink, has sizing changed? If I wore it a few times (I don't think I could manage more than half an hour) would it go back to a proper size?

By the way, when I say I'm a 10.5E, I'm using current Allen Edmonds as the standard, except for the 5-last.

Patrologia

Reaction score
Anybody?

Patrologia

Reaction score
I own a pair of Florsheim LWB, size 7.5E that are perfect for my slim and low instep feet, but I use 7 D with AE.
Maybe the following link can help to solve your doubts:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/size-comparison-for-vintage-florsheim-imperial-shell-longwings.110577/
Ha! Here's irony, I'm in that thread. I'm mikeh there. I no longer have any of the shoes I mention in that post, but it jibes with what surprises me now. Based on how my old 11D Florsheim's fit, I would have expected 10.5E to fit perfectly. I guess I suspect that this pair would have when new, and that they have shrunk with disuse. I don't know whether they would stretch or tear/crack with gentle wearing, but I guess I'll have to think about whether I'm up for it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 55 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 108 34.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 93 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 10.8%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.2%