• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do trousers get longer rise with longer length sizes?

PolishPaul

Reaction score
I bought some wool trousers today at Macy's size 36 x 32 which are on the long side, but is the best size. I noticed when trying length 30, the crotch are was quite tight. L32, and I think i feel more room for the family jewels. I took them home and still feel like they're just a tad to high on the crotch and my boys are getting hung up.

Do pants get a longer rise with a longer length? Should I just get W36 x L34/36 and shorten them?

Thanks,
Paul

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, you should buy entirely different pants. Or, is it possible to not pull them up as high? I'm not talking 2006 rap album low, I'm talking one notch less tightness on the belt. Obviously, that won't work if they're skin-tight, but you're better off not buying skin tight dress pants.

Last edited:

PolishPaul

Reaction score
Hmm, they're not that tight, they're just tight enough to look well. The size up is comfy but looks all wrong for dress pants (would be OK for jeans?)

I think the problem is that i just can't see how other pants would be any better, i just have a lot there. Perhaps i need to switch from boxers to briefs for trousers? :(

I could swear that the 30 length pants had even less room so i assumed longer would have more...

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you buy the same pants a size larger. I'm suggesting you buy a different brand of pants.

I'd be surprised to find out whatever brand you bought cut a different rise for different lengths, because it would be a lot more complicated to make. But, who knows, maybe it works out cheaper on somebody's balance sheet.

PolishPaul

Reaction score
This is an old post that I have to return to because... I'm back at the same spot. I went to Macy's and tried on a bunch of wool pants. I chose the ones that looked and fit best, Ralph Lauren. So now, let me try to refine the question:

Simply, I have a lot of "package" in my crotch and I wear boxers. How do you maintain your jewels in more fitting pants?

I realized that i need to lower them slightly on my hip and they feel and drape just fine when standing up. I figured out that the rise (split in the pant's crotch) has to be slightly on the side of the package and my anatomy can hang loose. Lowering also gets rid of the slight wedgie in my crack. I suppose this all indicates that this style of pants is worn a bit lower than jeans and dockers.

However, when i sit down, the rise cuts into my package and, well, i get man camel-toe. Its not that bad (its not too uncomfortable), but things bulge and don't look right. I have to really lower the pants for them to fit well, feel unnatural.

I'm 6' tall and 195 lbs with a gut so I normally wear comfortable pants - slightly loose jeans and dockers to look better, but they all have a lot more room in the crotch.

I really need some advice here. I want to be able to wear these nice slacks, but my junk gets in the way :(

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy something in between. Perhaps the Nordstrom house brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads