• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do topies affect the integrity of the shoe sole?

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking hard about getting a pair of AEs because I like the style (and the square-toed monstrosities I have now are getting worn out) but think that leather-soled shoes wouldn't be ideal for the type of environment I'd be wearing them in.

Ideally I'd like a pair of rubber-soled shoes, but AE doesn't have many stylish options that I like (I want a perf captoe). I'd then want some kind of toppie, or rubber installed in high-volume areas to cushion my step, especially the ball of the feet.

Does this ruin the leather sole of the shoe, or in any way affect the lifespan of the shoe? Is it hard to get a combination leather/rubber sole? Are there any other options that are as nice as AEs but still have thin rubber soles?

MLIW

Reaction score
Any styles that you like that you could shoe photos of so we can help?!

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would probably get the Fifth Avenue
5745.jpg
maybe just the Park Avenue
5845.jpg
or the Strand
1635.jpg
I would get whichever of these I could find as seconds or on sale for under $200. So I guess any shoe that's like these, under $200, and still a quality shoe would fit the bill.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I'm thinking hard about getting a pair of AEs because I like the style (and the square-toed monstrosities I have now are getting worn out) but think that leather-soled shoes wouldn't be ideal for the type of environment I'd be wearing them in.

Ideally I'd like a pair of rubber-soled shoes, but AE doesn't have many stylish options that I like (I want a perf captoe). I'd then want some kind of toppie, or rubber installed in high-volume areas to cushion my step, especially the ball of the feet.

Does this ruin the leather sole of the shoe, or in any way affect the lifespan of the shoe? Is it hard to get a combination leather/rubber sole? Are there any other options that are as nice as AEs but still have thin rubber soles?

Topy's don't really add any cushioning.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well that sucks. I could get them completely resoled in rubber, right?

can most of these kinds of shoes be worn with insoles to improve cushioning?

Yes you should be able to get a rubber sole fitted, but the better rubber sole units (e.g. Dainite) have next to no cushioning either. I think insoles are the way to go, but you might need to size up half a size.

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also need some rubber on the bottom just because of the type of floors I'd be walking on. so I'd take leather-soled shoes, refit them in rubber, then add an insole just to make them comfortable.. does that defeat the point of buying leather-soled shoes in the first place?

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Call the AE factory store. I remember a poster last week saying they ran some Park Avenues with rubber soles and are selling them for $159 or $179. Not seconds either iirc.

I would probably get the Fifth Avenue

5745.jpg

maybe just the Park Avenue

5845.jpg

or the Strand

1635.jpg

I would get whichever of these I could find as seconds or on sale for under $200. So I guess any shoe that's like these, under $200, and still a quality shoe would fit the bill.

AgentQ

Reaction score
In a worst-case scenario, topying a leather-soled shoe may cause rot and sogginess if the shoe is not dried properly, as the moisture will not be able to escape as efficiently because of hte rubber covering.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also need some rubber on the bottom just because of the type of floors I'd be walking on. so I'd take leather-soled shoes, refit them in rubber, then add an insole just to make them comfortable.. does that defeat the point of buying leather-soled shoes in the first place?

Personally if you need rubber soled shoes I'd get Dainite soled shoes to start with. I find shoes comfortable enough without insoles, but they're an inexpensive addition.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you know of brands in my price range that I could look at?

At the bottom end some Loake 1880's come with dainite soles, moving up slightly so do some Barker, Cheaney - up a bit further Crockett & Jones. Have a look at www.pediwear.com

youngScholar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
In a worst-case scenario, topying a leather-soled shoe may cause rot and sogginess if the shoe is not dried properly, as the moisture will not be able to escape as efficiently because of hte rubber covering.

How common is this? I ask because I got my AEs topied a few months ago.

How do you know if the sole is rotting under the topy?

Toorman

Reaction score
This has been hashed and rehashed a million times here. One person says it rots your shoes another posts photos of shoes they've worn for years with topy's showing zero effect. Tried it on one pair myself (soles were already painted black) use for inclement weather and heavy walking days. It's been about a year and shoes are fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads