• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do these dress pants not fit correct?

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
Hi Sartorialists,

I have a question about the linen suits I recently bought.
The trousers fit well but they tend not to sit upon the waist correctly like I would imagine they are supposed too?
If I put my belt on the 4th buckle in so that it is very tight it keeps them in the correct place near or on my navel but it's not comfortable to wear at this level of compression.
The suits are the correct fit for my build. 38S with 32'' waist 34'' leg. I had the crotch area and inner thigh let out by my tailor to ensure a more comfortable fit; as I am an athletic guy and always find off the rack not comfortable.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

dapperdondublin

Attachments

• sitting on hips not waist.jpg
    sitting on hips not waist.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 178

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Looks small.
-Tie looks ridiculous.
-PS looks ridiculous.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rise of the trousers (distance from waistband to crotch) is not high enough for them to sit on your waist. What you need are trousers with a higher rise. Unfortunately this is not easy to find in ready to wear suits.

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
The rise of the trousers (distance from waistband to crotch) is not high enough for them to sit on your waist. What you need are trousers with a higher rise. Unfortunately this is not easy to find in ready to wear suits.
Are you sure? I have the pants sagging a bit in this photo to exaggerate it a bit. If I pull the pants up they are at waist level; the issue seems to be with the belt having to be very tight to hold them in the correct place.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re asking for advice and I’m giving it. Whether you want to accept it is up to you. The rise is too low if you have to pull the trousers up to the waist and tighten the belt down to hold them there.

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
You’re asking for advice and I’m giving it. Whether you want to accept it is up to you. The rise is too low if you have to pull the trousers up to the waist and tighten the belt down to hold them there.
Yeah, I appreciate the advice only trying to provide more information as I don't think what you are suggesting is correct. If I have to pull it up to my waist that proves the rise is high enough to sit on my waist. Right?
The issue is that it won't stay there without a belt on a tight position. Without it, it will hand lose around my waist and drop. I don't see how the solution you suggest of a higher waist would fix that.
I'm thinking I need to have the waist tailored to be tighter, but I appreciate your input.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the waist of the trouser is obviously loose then yes that would be a problem. Is that actually true?
Belts cannot maintain much vertical tension on the upper part of your trouser. So if there is any force pulling the waistband downwards, the waistband will begin to work it’s way down as you move about. If the rise is not high enough then you might have enough fabric to pull the waistband up to your waist but not enough to avoid tension pulling it back down.
Men with very large bellies have a problem with the waistband sliding down—for them the solution is suspenders. I don’t see that in your picture. It’s not a great picture but the rise just looks low to me.

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
NOt su
If the waist of the trouser is obviously loose then yes that would be a problem. Is that actually true?
Belts cannot maintain much vertical tension on the upper part of your trouser. So if there is any force pulling the waistband downwards, the waistband will begin to work it’s way down as you move about. If the rise is not high enough then you might have enough fabric to pull the waistband up to your waist but not enough to avoid tension pulling it back down.
Men with very large bellies have a problem with the waistband sliding down—for them the solution is suspenders. I don’t see that in your picture. It’s not a great picture but the rise just looks low to me.
Not sure how loose it would need to be to cause this problem but I would need a belt to wear them. Won't fit perfectly that a belt would be optional. I imagine a belt should be optional if they did fit perfectly?
They are size 32'' waist on the tag which is what I am.
Maybe I should try to get 31'' pants so that there is a snug fit in future?
I know the photo does not convey it too well I will take another this evening.
I appreciate your help man you seem to know what you are talking about.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
NOt su

Not sure how loose it would need to be to cause this problem but I would need a belt to wear them. Won't fit perfectly that a belt would be optional. I imagine a belt should be optional if they did fit perfectly?
They are size 32'' waist on the tag which is what I am.
Maybe I should try to get 31'' pants so that there is a snug fit in future?
I know the photo does not convey it too well I will take another this evening.
I appreciate your help man you seem to know what you are talking about.
Hi,

Appreciate all your help.
I checked the tag and indeed it's a 34'' waist(so my fault) not a 32'' like I thought it was.
I remember now that I had to size up to get it to fit in the thigh area.
Question is am I a 32'' waist or a 33''? Or 32 1/2''? See pictures and videos linked below.

Kind regards,

dapperdondublin

Attachments

• waistBreathIn.png
    waistBreathIn.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 88
  • waistBreathOut.png
    waistBreathOut.png
    355.6 KB · Views: 65
  • waistSurplus.png
    waistSurplus.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 321
  • trouserTag.JPG
    trouserTag.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 343

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trousers often are larger than the tagged size. I wouldn’t be surprised if your 34” trousers actually measured 35” at the waist. Just go to a tailor and have them pin the waist smaller until it fits you properly. One issue is that it can be difficult to reduce the waistband more than 2” or so as the rear pockets then get too close together.

Reaction score
Take them in if you are planning on wearing them closer to your natural waist, looks like the rise has the height for it. I mean you don't want male camel toe, but you have rise to accommodate wearing them higher (and narrowing the waist band). That crease is coming from wearing them closer to the hips where you have a natural forward pitch, where your pants hang on the shelf of your butt, and pitch forward. I think the pants then naturally rebalance to hang the way they are intended. Creating a crease where the waistband pitches down towards the front.

dapperdondublin

Reaction score
Trousers often are larger than the tagged size. I wouldn’t be surprised if your 34” trousers actually measured 35” at the waist. Just go to a tailor and have them pin the waist smaller until it fits you properly. One issue is that it can be difficult to reduce the waistband more than 2” or so as the rear pockets then get too close together.
Really? That's crazy!; why would that be the case?
Is it possible for me to measure this myself to verify?
Should pant size be equal to your waist measurement exactly? or would you go slightly smaller to ensure a more snug fit?

Yes that makes sense I will probably go to my tailor and have them pin them and adjust the waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads