Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

do suits really "fall apart"?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by eddiecibrian, Jan 11, 2012.

1. eddiecibrian

eddiecibrian Senior member

i hear all this, my suit falls apart after a season or after a few wears, is this really true? and what does it mean to fall apart? someone told me if i bought a suit from someplace like Zara it would fall apart after a season, how many wears is that? im starting to think suits are like condoms, use once and dispose

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Myth. A Hugo boss jacket of mine is still in working condition after 6 years, including 3 years of almost daily wear.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Fabric might start to get thin or shiny from wear, some stitching might come loose, but probably not going to literally fall apart.

4. mandjo

mandjo Well-Known Member

Picking the right durable fabric really makes a difference and it pays to get a couple of quality suits versus getting 10 cheap ones.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Some people of the "yearly lastability of a suit faith" believe in a literal translation that reads a suit has a self destruct button. When the bell tolls to signal a new year, the suit disintegrates before your eyes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If a person needs to wear a suit most days two suits will wear fairly fast no matter how good. Ten cheap suits OTOH will be heavily rotated. Ten crappy suits worn once every two weeks are going to last. Two good suits abused and worn every other day will age quicker.

7. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Simple logic is always the best logic and reality is most likely to pay homage to the simplest logical scenario.

In a less nerdy way, + 1 to your post ;)

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

And, of course, the more durable fabric isn't necessarily the more expensive one. For example, a suit may carry a price premium for being of S150's wool. Well, a Super 150 suit can look and feel nice, sure. But an otherwise similar S110 suit can still be quite nice, will likely cost less, and will often prove less delicate and longer lasting.

Anyway, eddiecibrian, I can't tell you precisely how many wearings a suit will last. I can tell you that a quality suit, which fits you well (not so snug that stress is placed on seams), and which is properly cared for, can provide you with good service for hundreds of wearings.

As an aside, quality shoes, properly cared for, can also be worn regularly for decades.
    --
    Michael

9. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I sadly at the moment only have one suit from Wal Mart... Parents bought it for me when I did technical theatre in High School. I wore it probably 125-150 times for the past five years and every time machine washed and iron... Still looks the same as the day I bought it.

~Kurt

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Nylon is more durable than pure cashmere. so your point is moot.

11. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

i'm really glad to hear this because there is much hatres on hugo boss on thus forum.

12. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

During my 30 orbits on this planet, I've had only one piece of clothing fall apart. It was neither suit nor Zara/Hugo Boss (so your answer is 'no').

My item was a Givenchy jacket. The pealed/pilled (?) lining is coming undone (and has tore in places), one of the pockets has come unseamed, a button has fallen off, and it's generally unsightly. :p

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

You really need to think more carefully about language and expressions. Many such as this one should not be taken literally but are an indication for dramatic effect that something has deteriorated to the extent that it is no longer desirable/does its job or fit for purpose. People will also say that the engine of their car has "Blown up". They do not mean literally rather that a serious problem has arisen.

14. connor09

connor09 Senior member

The suit will lose its luster if not cared for accordingly. Dry clean less often and keep them hanged in your closet without a garment cover.

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I do not believe that any suit could look the same as the day you bought it after being machine-washed and ironed 125-150 times...